Rwy length for instruction?

flyerme

Airfield altitude?

Prevailing wind direction vs airfield orientation?

Summer daytime temperature?

Grass, gravel or paved?

Slope?

Obstacles?

How's it go when it's wet?

Houses or settlements nearby?

... As they say "it depends"

Cao 20.7.4 flight planning for aircraft performance requires TORA to be 15% greater than TODR for starters.

I just flew off a 1200m strip near Darwin which was fine for the SB Drifter running a Rotax 582 but it was dead flat and gravel. Some days 800m will feel quite short, especially with a laminar flow wing and a teeny tiny tail wind (J160)

Airfield altitude?Prevailing wind direction vs airfield orientation?

Grass, gravel or paved?

Slope?

Obstacles?

Cao 20.7.4 flight planning for aircraft performance requires TORA to be 15% greater than TODR for starters.

I just flew off a 1200m strip near Darwin which was fine for the SB Drifter running a Rotax 582 but it was dead flat and gravel. Some days 800m will feel quite short, especially with a laminar flow wing and a teeny tiny tail wind (J160)

1200 metres for a drifter ... what were you doing; wheeling it all the way down the runway.

• Agree 2

Grass, gravel or paved?

Slope?

Obstacles?

Long enough to get of the ground before it's all used up

Grass, gravel or paved?

Slope?

Obstacles?

I Should have wrote any LW-1 owners out there with a aircraft manual? As it states the min landing distance

I have the manual for the diff model gr 582. Which states min as. Being 500 meters then for instructing I think you then require an extra 20 % ?

But as mine is an original LW-1. Apparently I can not use theses figures?

Not asking about runway surface of obstacles ect just want to know the min landing length for a LW-1 ?

It won't be any more than 700ft below 300 ft Amsl as that's the certified length of the rag n tube training field I trained at.

To be technical. 60 ft Amsl grass/ dirt no obstacles endless open paddocks...

It's not real easy to get info from howie?

800 ft looks short lol. Not from anyone of my cockpits ! I even thought my bigger 350mtr strip looked ok coming down 2 up in the 6 cyl fuel injected jabi! Not to mention my 240 mtr strip... Haha you boys and ya fancy long luxury strips... I don't know?

. The lightwing from round out to stop uses on average 150 mtrs using brakes. No brakes add 50

Pretty sure flight training can only happen if the airfield meets the standard for an ALA.

http://www.casa.gov.au/download/CAAPs/ops/92_1.pdf.

Then you can use the type of aircraft that will be able to operate on that length available. From memory I think if the POH says you need 500m max, then you need 50% more, then 750m required for training. I can't be sure I'm giving you exact info. Hope it helps you find exact info.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Found the requirements but still need manufacturers minimum landing distance?

It's plus 30 %. Ra-a ops 2.15-4 aerodromes

It is RECOMENDED that the aerodrome comply with CASA cap 92.1

• Informative 1

Found the requirements but still need manufacturers minimum landing distance?It's plus 30 %. Ra-a ops 2.15-4 aerodromes

It is RECOMENDED that the aerodrome comply with CASA cap 92.1

I just had a look what you quoted and is referring to instructor training, it could be right, I don't know for sure.

• Agree 1

Maybe your question should have read more like;

"I have a grass strip 320 metres long, would this be safe for instructing?"

To which I think most would reply, "Probably not"

People with experience in LW1's/GR582's could get in and out of 320m two up, but would be a bit short to train a student into.....

I'm getting students in an LW1, in and out of a couple of 500+m, sea level grass strips with room to spare, even with a crappy wooden prop.

N

Maybe your question should have read more like;"I have a grass strip 320 metres long, would this be safe for instructing?"

People with experience in LW1's/GR582's could get in and out of 320m two up, but would be a bit short to train a student into.....

I'm getting students in an LW1, in and out of a couple of 500+m, sea level grass strips with room to spare, even with a crappy wooden prop.

I have a active 400 mtr dirt strip! And almost completed 520 mtr, the question remains! whats the minimum rwy length for a LW-1? Mark at ALW believes it to be 350 mtrs + ?% .... Waiting to here back from mark after he confirms with howie as I disagree.

Was told by RAA to find out minimum from manufacturer.

It's not a critical question but would end a debate I'm having.in re guards to a gr 582,

And a ORIGINAL LW-1! ( original lw1 is box shape, has no wing tanks Or provision for them, and has pointy nose,- un-modified frame)the debate is not what you can get her down in ! I get mine down happily at pa 's in 200 mtr one way in/out

I want to know what the manufacture states?

Thanks guys

C

Maybe your question should have read more like;"I have a grass strip 320 metres long, would this be safe for instructing?"

Crappy wooden prop? Bolly certifies there props for lightwings 582,but costs some $$$$cost me $1670 for a certified 68 " ground adjustable 2 blade- I had the option of the 3 blade but could not afford it .however I rather the extra slight vibration( compared to the 3 blade brolga) as the 2blade performs amazingly- solo ,full tank(53ltr) @5200 rpm gets me 70 kts. Cruise. Take off full rpm= 6300rpm prop pitched at 12 deg.

I'm more concerned about the weight being reduced on my rego from 480kgs to 400.

I weigh a woping 68 kgs-so I'm on a diet so I can still take a pax! .. Lol

Re; difference between LW1 and GR582's (I doubt your LW1 still has a 532 SI up front?), both aircraft have the same wing, therefore lifting ability (both are readily capable of taking off at 600kg, but remember kiddies, that's not allowed:no no no:).

The LW1 is actually MORE aerodynamically streamline than ALL the 'Low Back' Lightwings, especially if you fit a spinner, and the fairing kit to the round tube struts.

Crappy wooden prop? Bolly certifies there props for lightwings 582

Bolly might certify their props for Lightwings, but it's not up to them, it's in the certification that says we must use Howie's/Heard's/Allsize's pieces of wood (I refuse to call them propellors).

The GR582 I currently fly, flew for years with a three blade Warp, but after everything went pear shaped, I'm now struggling around with a Heard cruise prop while I wait for some sanity to evolve from the last three years of chaos.

I have a active 400 mtr dirt strip

At your weights, I can't see too many problems training from that strip, just keep an eye on your student weights....

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Spoke with howie today he said 500 mtrs for safe training no % extra

Also stated I should never change the wings , cowl or turtle deck as most / if not all are changed!

Only note is my UGLY Radiator lol.

So hunting up a gr912 radiator ( as howie says for the 582 e/o requires as per car 35 proper radiator fitted, )

Not sure why they fitted the current radiator. Looks like it's from v8 lol

image.jpg.fdc18dcaabf9feb753516e185c127f0e.jpg

• Like 1