Shipping/Freight Forwarding Representation USA to Aus

Riley

I have just sacked C & H Freight, Tullamarine (who advertise in the RAA monthly magazine), as my handling agent for the importation of a recently purchased aircraft out of Florida. Being in receipt of their formal quotation (and subsequently formally accepting the proposal), two days before loading they advise me that the USA internal container transport fees will be increased from (US)$1140 to (US)$2950 (this for a total 200km round trip) because of their difficulty in arranging a side-loading trailer or a tilt tray truck to handle the 20' container. In subsequent discussions with their rep I was advised that "in over twenty years of moving aircraft internationally, we have never been required to put a container on the ground for loading" ??? At that point I understood I was dealing with invalid persons and gave them the bullet. Anyway, I offer a 'heads up' to any prospective intn'l purchaser/shipper regarding said people and also make the request for any forumite who has had successful dealings with a freight forwarding agent with regards aircraft importation, I would very much appreciate their advice. Tks in anticipation. Riley

I have just sacked C & H Freight, Tullamarine (who advertise in the RAA monthly magazine), as my handling agent for the importation of a recently purchased aircraft out of Florida. Being in receipt of their formal quotation (and subsequently formally accepting the proposal), two days before loading they advise me that the USA internal container transport fees will be increased from (US)$1140 to (US)$2950 (this for a total 200km round trip) because of their difficulty in arranging a side-loading trailer or a tilt tray truck to handle the 20' container. In subsequent discussions with their rep I was advised that "in over twenty years of moving aircraft internationally, we have never been required to put a container on the ground for loading" ??? At that point I understood I was dealing with invalid persons and gave them the bullet. Anyway, I offer a 'heads up' to any prospective intn'l purchaser/shipper regarding said people and also make the request for any forumite who has had successful dealings with a freight forwarding agent with regards aircraft importation, I would very much appreciate their advice. Tks in anticipation. Riley

PS I should add that the FF Co were specifically advised of the absolute requirement for the container to be at ground level for loading (and discussed same) 10 full days before receipt of their formal quote for the 'turn key - all in' price quote which was ultimately accepted by me.

Hi Riley, sorry to read that C & H Freight have not come good on their end of the bargain. I have used them for importing bits from Rans in Kansas and all arrived at my door on time and in the quoted price. I have not heard of anyone using them to import a complete aircraft.

Mike

We had no issues with them when importing an RV. Doesn't sound like it was their fault and sounds like their subtracted company caused the problem.

C & H was made well aware of the requirement that the container needed to be transported on a tilt tray or self-sideload trailer. This requirement was acknowledged by them 9 days before they presented their formal quote to me and there was no proviso or mention that the price might change if the market fluctuated. One could reasonably expect that they would have done their homework as to what their ingoing sub contractors re-charges would be before putting a final figure on the total charges for their services in a formal offer. If their sub contractors let them down it doesn't mean they have an easy escape clause from a previously agreed & formal contract. "the postman can't deliver mail for the rest of the week as he's broken some spokes on his scooter?" Very definately a situation of their own making/omission and the fault lays totally with them.

• Agree 1

I went through the same drama of trying to find a side loader for my container, I ended up having the container dropped off over the weekend still on the truck trailer and having a tipping tow truck load the container. Freight in the US was dirt cheap compared to here.

I used C&H to import my aircraft complete (well, partially disassembled) from Florida last year. Had no issues other than with Australian Customs.

The issue of ground loading has always been problematic in the USA and that's across the board in freight handling. In Florida and most other parts there is no such thing as a "side loader" truck. However the guys doing the loading are normally aware of this and make arrangements accordingly (my guys certainly did, using ramps).

"in over twenty years of moving aircraft internationally, we have never been required to put a container on the ground for loading" ??? At that point I understood I was dealing with invalid persons and gave them the bullet.

Bahahahaha - laff at the comment, not at your misfortune.

I have sent and received containers all over the World including this year Oz to China, door to door, with 2 light aircraft.

I have never, ever planned around not doing a ground drop and 3 days load, my standard practice because I know from experience that many little things can go wrong and that last one for instance I used the time to weld lugs in for tie downs. Don't even need a side loader unless is a space issue, tilt trays, the same ones that tow your heavier car/light truck can load them simply by dragging them up, in fact all mine in Logan years back were done by 'Harveys' tilt trays.

The prices sound way too high, especially yours FT, I'll go through my paperwrok tomorrow and see who the Oz agent was and how much it all came to - I need to go out for the evening now sorry, it's the price I pay for my good looks and awesome personality, dang narn it. No, not Jules FT, settle down.

• Caution 1

Bahahahaha - laff at the comment, not at your misfortune.I have sent and received containers all over the World including this year Oz to China, door to door, with 2 light aircraft.

I have never, ever planned around not doing a ground drop and 3 days load, my standard practice because I know from experience that many little things can go wrong and that last one for instance I used the time to weld lugs in for tie downs. Don't even need a side loader unless is a space issue, tilt trays, the same ones that tow your heavier car/light truck can load them simply by dragging them up, in fact all mine in Logan years back were done by 'Harveys' tilt trays.

The prices sound way too high, especially yours FT, I'll go through my paperwrok tomorrow and see who the Oz agent was and how much it all came to - I need to go out for the evening now sorry, it's the price I pay for my good looks and awesome personality, dang narn it. No, not Jules FT, settle down.

Despite being in awe of your good looks and effervescent personality, I eagerly await your post-paperwork-poring tomorrow and look forward to contact details of the OZ FF agent you used. cheers Riley

Despite being in awe of your good looks and effervescent personality, I eagerly await your post-paperwork-poring tomorrow and look forward to contact details of the OZ FF agent you used. cheers Riley

I remember now, I used Sinotrans, 2nd biggest in China for the last one. Cosco are the biggest in Asia and one of the biggest in the World so you could try them out. I mention them as they are cheap, reliable and have a strong presence in the USA.

There was a specific reason I went with Sinotrans that isn't relevant to you, but I got to tell you the hardest working of all was this company and this girl when I was getting a few quotes, fantastic and fast replies with great prices etc and especially good with up to the minute shipping movements ..

Lydie Caillaud

Seaway Logistics Pty Ltd

Main: +61 7 3620 4900

Fax: +61 7 3620 4940

Mobile: +61 409 612 614

Email: [email protected]

This lot were good too .............

Julie Ernst or Heather Legget

3 Viola Place, Brisbane Airport QLD 4007

Phone 61 7 3363 0400 direct line 61 7 3363 0430 fax 61 7 3860 4322

also

Chris Warr

General Manager

Tony Warr International Pty Ltd

P: +61 7 3848 8088 | F: +61 7 3848 8588

M: +61 415 800 434 | E: [email protected]

www.shipping-people.com

All Brissy but that shouldn't make any difference, they will have offices or handling associates in Perth.

I just got home and had a quick look, it's 2.30 am and I need sleep, Jules wore me out, and I now have a very important schedule tomorrow so if no good I'll look further tomorrow night for ya.

Here's the tilt that dropped it off and why I need a few days sometimes, wing racks going in ... oh and it's lovely how a container is 2.3 meters width and your H'Stab is 2.6 .... hacksaw.

2032019295_tilt1.jpg.c78c059966d3ffe8517daae98d3cbf1d.jpg

1861696554_tilt2.jpg.caef1c5c24f94e20b12ce4623e552c64.jpg

• Winner 1

The guys I bought my plane from in Florida have been doing this for over 20 years.

They ramp load or hand load every time, unless you pay for a crane to pull it off. And again, they do not have side-loader trucks in Florida (they have told me that personally).

It's Florida. Not China or Australia. They don't live in the dang-nabbed evil godless 21st century down there.

Bex.

Two of those three are customers of mine, and the third one used to be before I downsized.

I would highly recommend all three of them. But then I guess I would I move many of there Brisbane containers. 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

A friend imported a Saratoga and the container got dropped. The poor airframe looked like it had done the worlds worst pancake landing. A GA8 Airvan also got squashed similarly but made worse because the landing gear was removed so it was fuselage linked straight to container.

Moral of the story..... Get insurance!

Containers get knocked around sure, nature of the beast, but dropped? I would think very rare and hell to pay if one does, especially in Oz.

However, falling off the ship in bad weather is another story, about 10,000 a year go missing, reported to fall overboard - amazingly most of those that "fall overboard", cough cough, are containers of white goods, computers and other easy to sell items. Small number when you consider there's more than 5 million containers on ships on the water at any one time.

Another little thing you may want to factor in, if US customs wants to have a look in your container, it can cost you an extra $1000.00 approx.Ask me how I know 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Sounds strange, you would think they could only charge you if there was a law broken?

Hey bexrbetter, thanks for the info in ur post #16. Have been in touch with Seaways (unfortunately your little girlfriend, Lydie is on Xmas break) and they reckon they can get back to me before the weekend with some firm numbers relevant to loading 'on the ground'. Much appreciate your help. cheers Riley

• Like 1

Sounds strange, you would think they could only charge you if there was a law broken?

Strange? Sounds freakin ridiculous to me, but the word is it happens a lot ,well people get billed for it a lot,( you pay the forwarding agent ) and you better not make trouble because maybe your container will have an accident......

• Informative 1