Formation Flying - How Not To Do It, by Ansett Airlines

dutchroll

Not that RA aircraft do a lot of formation stuff, but it was suggested to me that I should post this example from the 70s of how not to fly a formation rejoin.

1. You rejoin along a line slightly below the lead, not at the same altitude. That is, the lead aircraft should gradually move slightly vertically upwards above a fixed spot in the window as you get closer. If things turn pear-shaped, this allows the wingman to fly "through" the lead aircraft even if neither aircraft take avoiding action (in which case the lead will always pull up, and the rejoining aircraft will always push down).

2. You achieve only a moderate overtake speed during the rejoin process, then stabilise the rejoin position slightly loose, still maintaining an altitude slightly below the lead aircraft.

3. You move "up" (co-altitude).

4. You move "in" (the correct close formation position, nice and gently).

"Altitude, line, speed" is the general "patter". It takes a lot of conservative practice before you can achieve a crisp, efficient formation rejoin.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Formation joinups are possibly the most difficult for the beginner. There's a need to do it 'quickly' but not unsafely. As DutchRoll said - you must keep the target aircraft well above the horizon as this gives a clear view, and also allows you to bleed off some excess speed by pulling up into the correct level, usually as 'step down'. Never allow just 'anyone' to join up with you - maybe their skills have dropped off a la Captain Ansett in the vid. happy days,

Downunder, not likely. I am not a great encourager of formation flying especially when people are not current, or trained properly in the first place. I was flying F-27's with the opposition the year before that happened. You don''t get much closer to disaster than that one. Nev

• Like 2

What happens if a tight formation is achieved, then they hit turbulence?

The theory is - that if you are really close, the 'formation' is equally affected by air movements. My experience is that it works ok for an element of 2, or a flight of 4 in diamond - but if any wider, then it tends to break up the formation. Remember, we're talking about aircraft with MTOW's here of < 1000 kg. The RAAF PC9's have much higher weights and wing loadings - and are less affected by turbulence. This helps them to achieve very steady formations - but a lot of very disciplined training goes into it too. happy days,

• Informative 1

If done properly echelon left rejoin in a transport is not a problem from the left seat.

We used to fly close form on Caribous every now and again. The rejoin wasn't that hard if, as you say, you did it correctly. Mind you it was difficult to get much overtake on lead in a Caribou! :)

• Like 1