Fly to Australia.....

4vientos

in the future, I want to take a trip with my experimental aircraft.

From Spain to australia.

I am now slowly gathering information.

What requirements need to enter australia flying with my own plane ?.

thanks

• Like 1

It will very much depend on what the registration status is of your plane.

Spanish microlights hold national registration (EC-xxx) so flying in Australia must be agreed through CASA (australian civial aviation authority) and IF it holds full certificate it is relatively easy as CASA recognise foreign national register aircraft with full certificate.

However, from your profile you look to be flying a non-certified plans/kit built french plane so while it is on national EC-xxx registration it is not a certified design and CASA will likely require additional information to allow it to fly into Australia (copy of permit, maintenance release, proof of insurance for Australia).

Although I say its all CASA who will deal with legally flying your Spanish microlight in Australia do contact the RAA - the Australian ultralight/microlight organisation and have a talk to them - they will probably have better and more current information than mine as I last worked through this in 2006 when I was planning to fly to Australia in a UK registered microlight - didin't make the flight in the end but it was 'fun' working out all the flight permissions from Uk to OZ ... if you want some hints on this PM me and I can give you what I found out.

• Like 1

You will need to go through Customs at an appropriate airport and there may need for a bond to be paid (recovered when you leave) in lieu of having an import duty imposed if we don't have some trade agreement with Spain. Nev

You will need to go through Customs at an appropriate airport and there may need for a bond to be paid (recovered when you leave) in lieu of having an import duty imposed if we don't have some trade agreement with Spain. Nev

Yes and no. You will have to clear customs and AQIS and that should be through your first landing point ... but in reality its been done otherwise in the past with customs clearance not at first landfall. Darwin is the usual target airport for this from Indonesia/Timor Leste and ops into this requires quite a lot of equipment on board your aircraft (but you'll probably need the Mode S transponder and second radio anywhay to get through to Australia) ... easier might be to come in through the PNG/Qld route and clear customs in Cairns ... much shorter over water legs with less time for swimming with bitey fishes ;-)

On bond its dependant on the length of stay planned. If you want to fly around for a bit after arriving (and who wouldn't after the 10,000m trip to get here!) then you may be up for a bond against the GST (10% of value of aircraft) as there is no duty on ultralights imported for personal use (and no GST on the first aircraft imported when immigrating/returning home). But it all depends on who you get to process your clearance, its been hit and miss on the people I've spoken to who have done this trip from the UK.

There was a guy who flew a trike from England to Australia a year or 2 ago, there is a thread here on Rec Fly, do a search. Contact him as he should have loads of info

• Informative 1

Best weather in Northern Australia, before August. There is a wet and a dry season It's monsoonal. You will have to fly through it somewhere on the way through. Look up inter tropic convergence zone. Nev