Albion Park Airport 747 arrival

The B747 is an mazing aircraft......huge push of the boundaries when it was designed...almost sent Boeing to the wall with development costs. Prototype didn't want to fly without a square foot chunk of depleted uranium ( heavier then lead) installed in the tail.Ever stood under the wing root ?......there's some acerage there that will amaze you for sure. Better still stand under the wing root in a downpour, waterfalls literally come off the back of the wing. The 747 led to bigger stuff down the road including the A 380, as much in aircraft design as to customer acceptance of super large aircraft.

I was happy to fly the Pacific and London- Sydney many times in them ( including the SP) and always felt very safe with the four engines thank you, as opposed to one flight SF direct to Cairns in a B 767 ER with only two !... The 747 was also capable of being a five - engined aircraft with an engine slung between the RH onboard and the fuselage for transport purposes, as an engine would not fit in the cargo hold below decks. And what about the amazing B747 SP with the same engines as the big brother but much shorter fuselage, higher fin and all the draggy boat fairings removed from the wings. They flew much higher (40,000' plus) and were capable of going supersonic as the fuel load lightened, if the throttles weren't retarded.

To see the floor space in freight-mode with only rollers on the floor, and a small alum ladder leading up to the flight deck is an eye opener for sure, and gives you a true picture of just how big the Jumbo is.

Kudos to all who are preserving these amazing airliners for future generation to enjoy. To hell with the cost, if nothing else it has just put HARS and Wollongong firmly on the map again, and has provided lots of new museum or restuant floor space. Well done HARS and Qantas......

Hi Maj, Actually the fifth pod goes under the LH wing, inboard of the #2 engine. I think one or more RAAF B707 could also carry a fifth engine. Cheers Chris

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard
Hi Maj, Actually the fifth pod goes under the LH wing, inboard of the #2 engine. I think one or more RAAF B707 could also carry a fifth engine. Cheers Chris

Ok thanks Chris, been a while since I saw the news report in some magazine. Not a bad way to transport a spare engine really. Cheers, Ross

General public will be more interested in I mouldy 747 then any thing else, as we all know, anything under a few hundred ton is "just those lil ones". I herd a B717 (50T) referred to as tiny the other day by one of my pax, should have seen her face when she saw the C210!

• Like 1

I agree Ultralights ... I think 40,000 people a year / yr visit the old mouldy 747 at Longreach ... Try telling the folk up there what a waste of time it's acquisition was .

The 747 at Longreach didn't look mouldy the last time I saw it several years ago. Maybe exterior paint will suffer in the tropical sun, but it's a really interesting display to get up close to and inside. I found that crawling around inside and getting a close look at all the control cables and wiring and complexity was really interesting. More so than the museum which is just like any other museum with 'no-touch' objects on display....

JG

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Good grief - do they let these people out into the general community without a nurse?

I think thats a bit harsh. She got excited about an aircraft. More people in the general community excited about aviation is a good thing.....

• Agree 1

The 747 at Longreach didn't look mouldy the last time I saw it several years ago. Maybe exterior paint will suffer in the tropical sun, but it's a really interesting display to get up close to and inside. I found that crawling around inside and getting a close look at all the control cables and wiring and complexity was really interesting. More so than the museum which is just like any other museum with 'no-touch' objects on display....JG

Longreach is the optimal location for keeping an old 747, its hot, has very little rain fall and not a lot of visitors. keeping this 747 dry and water tight is going to be a challenge