Recreational Pilot Concerns

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,I have a passion for aviation, have had various model aircraft throughout my teenage years, and generally just love hoping into a big metal tube and whizzing past in the sky.The theory is my major concern. Can anyone elaborate on the difficulty, time and contents of the theory involved? Im planning on timing it such that im ready to take the theory exam, have my medical done, and be ready to solo after im complete exams for school. Around the November, December time frame before i start univeristy.

You're young, and you hopefully have the brains to go to university (since you're planning on that). I'd wait until after the exams are done with school, save up money, and go to the airfield every day. Bring a textbook. If the wind or clouds are unfavourable, sit and read.

I didn't do any reading away from the airfield; I just went there 5 days a week for a few weeks, read while waiting for planes to come back etc, and didn't have any problems with the theory. It's not really that hard.

• Like 1

Guest SrPilot

G'day. Glad to see a new pilot in the making. In the U.S., I think the ranks of prospective pilots are thinning somewhat. Too many distractions.

A380 - did you ever think maybe Boeing 777 or 787? - but I digress - although I am a U.S. flyer, let me mention a couple of points I've learned over the years.

You have received some fine advice to date. Let me mention a few points too.

When I was an active CFII (FAA certified flight instructor, airplane and instruments - think CASA), I saw a lot of starts with fewer finishes. It's always good to get started; but it's much better to finish.

I cannot speak to the Australian process, but whether addressing flight instruction or college studies, there are stumbling blocks and frequently the problems are not the "theory" tests. In the U.S., (except for "light sport"), our students had to get a medical exam. Some never seemed to get around to getting the physical, so we could not let them proceed. Our students had to take a written exam. Some never seemed to get around to studying for or taking the test, so we could not let them proceed. Some had money or time issues which prevented them from keeping up a steady flight calendar, so we spent more time in remedial education - reteaching what they had forgotten since the last flight weeks or months ago - than we did on teaching new things. So . . . .

Over the years, I noted that eliminating certain "stumbling blocks" greatly aided the student. Did it guarantee success? Of course not. How did they increase their chance for success? They fixed their priorities, established a plan, and worked their plan. In your case, had you asked me, I would say, finish school. Keep reading about the subjects you will face on the pilot's exam but focus on your education. Meanwhile set yourself up for success:

Commit; prepare; perform . . . .

Stumbling block 1 -- Need a physical exam? If the answer is yes, then get it scheduled for the early days after the end of the school year. IOW, get it out of the way.

Stumbling block 2 -- Money. Lots of people start but have to stop when the money runs out. I always advised opening a checking account just for the flight training. Deposit sufficient funds to pay for the course of study, the flight exam, etc. Everything. That way, you don't run out of money, and the money in the account is spent solely on your flight training. No borrowing for dates or ball games.

Stumbling block 3 -- Tests. While training, have your exam scheduled, take it, and get it out of the way before it becomes a stumbling block.

Stumbling block 4 -- Adding unnecessary costs and time by having to re-learn over and over because your training is spread over too much time. I always recommended a minimum of three flights a week. (Some flight schools, of course, may have you fly virtually every day). That way, you progress with each session and do not have to repeat training over-and-over. It keeps you sharp, and it cuts down on costs because you learn faster. If you see that it will take 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 10 weeks, okay. Just remember what we used to say in the Air Force: "I can stand on my head that long!" (I never really believed that I could, but it put me in the right frame of mind for the undertaking.).

By removing the distractions (e.g., school, social activities, tests), preparing a course of study which would enable them to achieve their goal in a minimum of time (and probably costs), and eliminating the big stumbling block of cash by saving or raising the cash in advance and putting it to the task at hand (no buying automobiles or paying college tuition from this fund), those students who took my advice got their license(s).

I learned the hard way. I started high school and flight training the same year. I restarted flight training just about every couple of years thereafter until I said "enough." I raised the cash, deposited it in an bank account, met with an instructor, agreed upon an aggressive training program during a period that I could dedicate the time and effort to the necessary tasks, took my written exam and my flight physical, flew the time, took the flight test and got my private pilot license - single engine, then I repeated the program 5 times as I sought and obtained other ratings.

Good luck with your course of study. You will have years and years to enjoy fruits of your effort. Be sure to do exactly that.

All excellent advice.

However, if while you're busy saving , studying, prioritising, and staying home to save money you want the occasional fix to keep you fixated, try gliding.

It's cheaper & even a couple of TIF's will make you a better powered pilot.

Bruce

Agree with all of the above... do everything you can to move the ball down the field. Especially item 3... i am always amazed at how many people whizz through the syllabus then have to take a test before they can progress, then just kinda fade away because they are too daunted by the idea... months pass, they eventually get it done, then have to start up again on the back foot.

Regarding money - i'd say that was my biggest one, though it never stopped me, it just slowed me down. Eventually i got this bright idea which really accelerated things and allowed me to finally finish up my PPL - just got one of those 0% credit cards, put everything aviation related (ONLY) on there and scheduled my lessons and exams aggressively. Then I worked to pay it off before the introductory rate expires, and cancelled it.

• Like 2

Don't mix things. If you have school to complete put your main or all of your effort into that. When that's done put your effort into the next goal you have set for yourself. You don't need distractions of significance when focussing is more appropriate. Flying is not cheap so if you are serious about getting the qualification and progressing take a more managed approach to it than others might who want to enjoy the BS and drinking. ( The apres flight clubroom banter) and have little urgence in the equation.

If you are seriously into learning to fly, unless you are well off the money will dictate how quickly you get there. The consolation is that it's not a costly as it was 50 years ago when a weeks wages got you about one and a half hours flying on a basic trainer. Nev

I agree with the idea of hitting the flying training as hard as you can, as often as you can. When I started to learn, I had saved enough money to buy a block of hours. I was at Uni and waited for a semester break and went and flew at least twice a day during the week, not weekends. I trained at Bankstown and it was busy back in the early 70s, so flying during the week got me less taxy/holding time and more air time (and I got a deal for paying up front - $17.50 per hour in a C-150). I still took a bit longer that I should have to solo, but that's because I'm ham-fisted.

I completed most of the syllabus, but then the money ran out and I was out of flying for a few years. I finally got interested again and had a job, so I saved up another wad of money, took my annual holidays and went flying. I completed my Restricted PPL and a few of my Navs before I had to go back to work and I saved more. After I had saved a bit more, I whacked it all down and completed my Navs in another block.

If I was renewing my licence (certificate) now, I think I would catch on a lot quicker because of the experience I've gained handling ground vehicles. When I was young, I didn't have the command confidence or the skills to be master of the airplane and make it do what I wanted it to. Now I have the confidence, and the theoretical knowledge to put an airplane where I want it to be.

OME

• Like 1

There is a significant price advantage to doing an RA certificate first. You can get almost all your hours out of the way and get your Nav endorsement in an RA aircraft. Not even a medical or ASIC required to that point. Once you have your RA certificate you have to fly two hours with a GA instructor 'under the hood', i.e. on instruments, then get into a GA aircraft to be signed off for for your RPL. You now need to pass an English language test, have your medical, apply for the ASIC and post the lot off to CASA. If you did the GA part at Moorabbin you would probably also have your controlled airspace and controlled airport boxes ticked as well. I reckon there's anything up to $3000 or more saving there depending on how much they are charging for different aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1