Just Joined

avon_7

Hi I have just joined here and am really looking forward to getting into some flying.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a bit of Info

1. Since I live in Jabiru I thought it would be perfect if I could get a recreational licence and possibly even buy a recreational air craft like a Jabiru. My plan would be to mainly explore Arnham land. I would also like to fly from Jabiru to Gove to visit friends. Wondering can I do all that on a recreational licence or am I bet to get a PPL

2. Are there any flight schools in the Darwin region as I cant seem to find any?

3. I am 48 now and my hearing has never been great. Will high frequency hearing damage and my age affect my chances of getting a licence?

Cheers

• Like 1

Welcome!

1. Sure, a Jabiru would be perfect for that (or any other) - once you have your recreational certificate (for RAAus, separate/different from the CASA RPL) and a passenger and cross-country endorsement, you can go anywhere in the country outside of controlled airspace!

3. If you are after the certificate (not the licence), then all you require is a self-assessment form stating that you are of sufficient physical condition to operate a car. If you are going for the licence, you would be looking at a class 2 medical, and I don't think those check your hearing to any great degree - my DAME just whispered a few words across the room and I was able to hear it. If you are going for class 1, then yeah you have to do the thing in the booth with the headphones. Age is not an issue (at our age anyway)

look into the differences between the licence and the certificate, as they are 2 different things - but either way they'd be perfect for what you want!

• Like 1

Hi I have just joined here and am really looking forward to getting into some flying.I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a bit of Info

1. Since I live in Jabiru I thought it would be perfect if I could get a recreational licence and possibly even buy a recreational air craft like a Jabiru. My plan would be to mainly explore Arnham land. I would also like to fly from Jabiru to Gove to visit friends. Wondering can I do all that on a recreational licence or am I bet to get a PPL

2. Are there any flight schools in the Darwin region as I cant seem to find any?

3. I am 48 now and my hearing has never been great. Will high frequency hearing damage and my age affect my chances of getting a licence?

Cheers

Welcome!

I agree with all of ayavners comments.

Also jabs are awesome in my humble opinion! At the end of the day when you make your decision on ra v rpl/ppl start as soon as you can as flight training always takes longer than you think.

Best of luck

Welcome!1. Sure, a Jabiru would be perfect for that (or any other) - once you have your recreational certificate (for RAAus, separate/different from the CASA RPL) and a passenger and cross-country endorsement, you can go anywhere in the country outside of controlled airspace!

3. If you are after the certificate (not the licence), then all you require is a self-assessment form stating that you are of sufficient physical condition to operate a car. If you are going for the licence, you would be looking at a class 2 medical, and I don't think those check your hearing to any great degree - my DAME just whispered a few words across the room and I was able to hear it. If you are going for class 1, then yeah you have to do the thing in the booth with the headphones. Age is not an issue (at our age anyway)

look into the differences between the licence and the certificate, as they are 2 different things - but either way they'd be perfect for what you want!

Great advice!

Unfortunately not, that I'm aware. Alice would be the closest but not necessarily the cheapest or most convenient

• Like 1