Interesting video of how to recover from a spin

• 2 weeks later...

The NASA test flight videos are really informative. They are made for and by the technical teams for their own purposes. There's real time commentary from the test pilot and complete, continuos imagery from purpose built ground based cameras.

• Like 1

Outspin aileron helps you get into a spin quicker ( unless it has frise ailerons) so it will no doubt help you to stay in one. Nev

My Pitts S-2A has frise ailerons - outspin aileron will flatten the spin.Just looking at the flight test report from the certification tests when symmetrical ailerons and spades were introduced: 6 turn spin to the right with ailerons against the spin (outspin) - it would not recover at all using PARE.

I believe that the spin characteristics are the same for an S-2A with frise ailerons and an S-2A with symmetrical ailerons - an experience from one of my friends in his aeroplane (identical to my Pitts) back in the '70s:

"After placing the aircraft into a left spin, I applied outspin aileron and went flat as expected.So far, so good, I thought. At 5000 ft. I tried to recover.To my dismay, the spin got a lot, lot faster.I went through the recovery procedure once or twice more [i am not sure of the exact number of times]." He had entered the spin at 5500 ft and recovered at 1000 ft AGL.

Note in the flight manual and cockpit placard for flat spins use aileron with the spin for recovery - applies to all S-2As.

Just for clarity my reference is at the spin entry only. . In future I won't use that technique in some aircraft but it is a natural reaction that might be anticipated to happen with someone who is not aware of the situation. ie. Unintentional spin entry, where the pilot might pull back the stick and try to pick up a dropped wing with aileron.

With the Chipmunk it tends to rattle and shake for a while entering the spin so I got used to using the aileron to speed the entry up. (Recommended technique at the time). You can't muck around with them because they have a lethal ROD in spins.

I contend that spins can be unpredictable and a simplistic approach to recovery won't always work, hence the need for a bit of height to spare .

Until the plane is fully spinning in a stable way (Full autorotation) , there would be ways of exiting the spin which should be looked at. If you don't have the height you don't have much time. You can pull out of a flick roll where you want to with practice.. Nev

By contrast, the Cessna 150 in a fully developed spin, inspin aileron will make it go flat. At entry, outspin aileron will tend to put it into a spin.

Frise ailerons again.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot this video only yesterday taking the plane for a fly out of YCNK. Cloud base was starting to come in so I didn't get the inverted spins done (hopefully in a couple of weeks time). The Go Pro mounts were just done a couple of months ago at the first Annual. Haven't hooked up intercom audio yet but I plan to. Interesting listening to the stresses on the airframe though!

Standard recovery always works for the latter Pitts variants, and the experimental Model 12. I think Beggs-Mueller will work here too but I haven't tried it yet. I just do it like I was taught in the military (and it's been in my muscle-memory for quite a long time now!):

- Throttle idle

- Identify direction of turn (if no turn needle, look straight ahead over the nose)

- Apply full opposite rudder

- With neutral ailerons, move stick forward enough to unstall the wings (if inverted move stick back)

- When rotation stops, immediately centralise controls (avoid the crossover)

- Recover from the dive

Landing makes up for the two before that! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Even though it's something we should defiantly avoid and stop from happening long before it goes that far, I still think every pilot should do some spin recovery training. I did some spin recovery in my very few hours of flight training so far, and apart from being a good learning experience, it's damn fun!!

Side note: Rec flyer are you Adam from the podcast or just a fan?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Even though it's something we should defiantly avoid and stop from happening long before it goes that far, I still think every pilot should do some spin recovery training. I did some spin recovery in my very few hours of flight training so far, and apart from being a good learning experience, it's damn fun!!Side note: Rec flyer are you Adam from the podcast or just a fan?

Yeah its Adam from the podcast. I agree with your comments, the spin recovery and or learning to recover from unusual attitudes course would be very beneficial!