Rotax 912 UL with Opal Fuel - Remote Communities

Xavier

From the BP link I posted a while ago:

Opal is a direct substitute for regular unleaded 91, delivering comparable performance.

It can be used in cars, boats and other engines. It’s safe to mix with regular unleaded 91,

or higher octane fuels, and can be stored in the same way.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an additive that brings the octane rating of opal fuel up to the requirements for the 100hp Rotax 912ULS? It wold be good to know for times when that is all that is available.

Researching the web it seems that expert opinion is divided about whether octane boosters are okay to use in, say, a Rotax ULS, or not.

Like Nobody, above, I'd really like to know if the experts who advise against it are saying that it must never be used ... even occasionally to get yourself out of a spot. I'd also like to know their reasoning and the evidence of harm they are going on.

In other words, I'd like to know whether, if you're stuck in a place where you absolutely can't do better than 91 RON, it'd be reasonable to put in enough booster to get a tankful up to 95 just to see you to a better fuel stop.

I've also read of people who, having left a tank of fuel in their aircraft for several months, have added some booster rather than risk engine knocking problems or, alternatively, decanting and starting over again.

Certainly, taking along a bottle of booster on an outback journey seems like a handy precaution; a way to get you out of trouble now and then. That is, unless there are definite counter-indications that real harm is done.

Why do we bother with Opal fuel anyway? If muppets want to sniff fuel, by all means let them. The couldn't possibly kill anymore brain cells as they don't have many to start with.

But if it stops them damaging my paint job when they try to pry the fuel cap off with a screwdriver I am all for it....

...provided that it wont cause harm to the engine.

• Like 1

But if it stops them damaging my paint job when they try to pry the fuel cap off with a screwdriver I am all for it.......provided that it wont cause harm to the engine.

Good point, I didn't think of that.

Why did I know that was coming? ...049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Working in remote Aboriginal communities for my last 12 years in Australia, revealed a lot of the underlying problems that lead to these forms of abuse.

While I don't have the answers, I know what isn't particularly helpful. Change for the better generally starts with the right attitude in my experience. Good attitudes and tolerance are becoming rare these days it seems.

But ... going with the flow, if you really insist on using petrol vehicles in remote communities, put a "Diesel Only" sticker next to your fuel cap.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Why do we bother with Opal fuel anyway? If muppets want to sniff fuel, by all means let them. The couldn't possibly kill anymore brain cells as they don't have many to start with.

Beer o'clock already Daz? Good to see one of our anti gun law advocates showing such tolerance, restraint and moderation in his language. FFS!

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

It's not available to anyone really to recommend against what a manufacturer says or publish it, in an aviation environment. The BP statement above is a positive bit of information on mixing with other fuels.

Just doing it once doesn't fit the situation as ONCE is all it takes to damage the motor at times. Too low an octane fuel may just show as a power loss but by then it may be doing damage as all of these fuels have much the same energy per set mass. Mixing with avgas would have the max effect as the octane rating is on a different reference. Nev

Beer o'clock already Daz? Good to see one of our anti gun law advocates showing such tolerance, restraint and moderation in his language. FFS!

Like I said above, if muppets want to sniff petrol, let them. Who gives a toss.

Now boys please don't ruin the thread by squabbling.....

Nev, I am not asking if the use of Opal fuel in a Rotax 912ULS is ok. The manual and the fuel specs clearly show that it isnt. What I am curious about is if there is anything that can be added to the tank to rectify this situation. It appears that there isnt. I am aware that the octane rating for avgas is different but why would mixing opal with avgas maximize the damage?

Hi there

Not impress with how this thread went sideways

Would it be possible for the moderator to split this thread into two, the original one and a new one called : " How to kill our fist people very quickly so we don't have to worry about the fuel we use when we fly over their country"

Another option would be to close this thread because it can only turn very ugly ....

Cheers

Xavier in the middle of Arnhem Land

• Agree 4

Xav........a little bit of sideways is good, can reveal all sorts of things...........( don't dispair )

"middle of arnhem land ".......where, and doing what ?? ( resided NT 30+ yrs ) flew all over it, know it well.

Xav........a little bit of sideways is good, can reveal all sorts of things...........( don't dispair )"middle of arnhem land ".......where, and doing what ?? ( resided NT 30+ yrs ) flew all over it, know it well.

In Ramingining filming the Arafura Swamp Rangers doing Healthy Country Planning plan for the next 10 years.

Weed management, fire management, feral animal management, sacred sites protection, strong culture, cultural awareness, ...

I intend to fly there quite often to do video mapping for the Rangers, this explains my questions about Opal Fuel.

It's look like I found a solution to get avgas in the area so all good

• Like 1