Free milk?

planesmaker

On the top of the damped down fire. in summer the kitchen bench is warm enough, any time the kitchen bench isn't warm enough, the fire is going.

If the fire is roaring, it's too hot so they go on the piano stool set a meter or so to the side.

I used the recipe on the first page of this thread, with the suggested added milk another poster advised and switching out one of the cups of flour with a cup of wholemeal flour. The loaf tins are sized for a 5 cup recipe, my sister usually makes a 3 cup wholemeal to 2 cups white flour recipe but I was wanting a whiter bread so tried this.

Had an overflow so made some baps and we had hamburger for dinner.

Quite nice, it rose better and was less crumbly than the recipe my sister uses, I asked and it turns out she doesn't add any oil or butter.

SANY0289a.jpg.7174213aa60e4aec616c1fb399899ac3.jpg

• Like 2

When it was a fad and nearly everybody had a bread maker back in the early nineties. It was nice to wake up to the smell of freshly made bread.

Had an ex who loved fads. We had the obligatory ( not one but 3 !) bread makers. I guess they may have got used once or twice but rapidly became too much trouble to use it. Baker down the road was always much more convenient and cost effective.

Leura, thats the place, lovely bread.

My recipe is just water, flour, salt and yeast. Mix it, knead it let it rise, knead it again and let stand, then knock it down, put it in tins and leave to rise, then bake, takes about 3 hours. No sugar or oil used except a smear in the bowl to prveent sticking. Some of the flour is home ground, just before mixing. Not only is home baked good to taste, but in my opinion it is healthier.