Free milk?

planesmaker

What is the supermarket definition of fresh. Coles, bread baked in Ireland? Today, asparagus produce of Mexico, that certainly didn't look fresh, a bit like me brown and crinkly at the edges.

• Caution 1

Yen. Hi, I loved Coles bread, the dough came from Ireland, but was baked fresh here. When traveling outback Aus. I often have to buy week old frozen bread . and nobody seems to mind that.

spacesailor

Yen. Hi, I loved Coles bread, the dough came from Ireland, but was baked fresh here. When traveling outback Aus. I often have to buy week old frozen bread . and nobody seems to mind that.spacesailor

Mmm no not quite.

The Supreme Court found it was not dough that was cooked in Australia. It was half cooked in Ireland " par-cooked". It was then transported frozen to Oz where the cooking process was repeated till it was fully cooked.

Coles then stated it was fully cooked in oz, which It was not.

And yep. We have all had times when we have had frozen bread. The difference is we knew it was frozen and we were not buying it after having been told it was fresh.

I have frozen bread several days of the week. I can't stomach the sorbo rubber apology for bread that is sold in supermarkets and a lot of bakeries, so I bake about once a week and freeze what I will not use in two days. It is still far better than fresh white from the shops. There is a bakers up in the blue mountains that bakes superb sourdough, but it is a bit too far to go for me.

• Agree 1

Jaba_who :. It was half cooked in Ireland " par-cooked": Maybe !, but par-cooked could mean it's heated to make the 1st raise, then frozen, so the final thawing heat would raise the

dough ready for baking.

Old Old Pomey trick used in winter, 1st raising in the evening. before bed, then back in the oven in the morning, to finish off, And warm the house at the same time.

Ho. I did say it was blooooodi freezing overnight.

spacesailor

ps the oven was part of the fire-place, the opposite side heated water

Yeah we bake our own too. Tastes much better than the square crap at the supermarkets and we know exactly what's in it. (Flour, water, olive oil, yeast, sugar and salt. That's it.)

Replace the olive oil with butter & some of the water with milk or add a bit of milk powder & it will taste even better. The additional flavour is well worth the little bit of saturated fat added.

• Informative 1

I have frozen bread several days of the week. I can't stomach the sorbo rubber apology for bread that is sold in supermarkets and a lot of bakeries, so I bake about once a week and freeze what I will not use in two days. It is still far better than fresh white from the shops. There is a bakers up in the blue mountains that bakes superb sourdough, but it is a bit too far to go for me.

Yep, the bakeries at Leura make a damn good sourdough. And the bakery at Wentworth Falls makes proper german pretzels.............................Yum.

When my elderly mum moved from her unit I took her freezer home. Several weeks later I discovered a loaf of Helga's in it(the freezer was off), the bread looked and felt like it was cooked that day! How much preservative is in it? Not good!

Mum can't eat commercial supermarket bread. She has a soy allergy and cheap bread is made with cheap soy flour to bulk out the more expensive wheat flour.

She can eat home made bread with no problems, my sister makes it with real wheat flour made from wheat, not soy with just enough wheat to pass truth in advertising laws with the pictures of a head of wheat in the bag.

Ho, I can smell it here! I've tried many times to bake my own bread, even bought a Bead maker.It still came out like concrete.

spacesailor

We tried a breadmaker, they're crap. Just use the oven now. We get bags of "premium" flour from IGA. Our recipe is 7 cups flour, 2 tablespoons yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 3 cups warm water, and a good splodge of olive oil. All in the mixer and beat with the dough hook for a few minutes. Cover and put in a warm place for 45 minutes. Knead for 5 minutes and cut in half (makes 2 loaves), beat 'em into loaf shapes, bung them in the oven for 35 minutes at 210, that's it. Never fails, never concrety!

• Helpful 1

Back in the day (mid 1950's) loved to go down to the local bakehouse just as the loaves were coming out of the oven. The aroma was heavenly. Taking home the warm bread, pulling small pieces and nibbling on the way. Lost treasures.

• Agree 1

Marty_D:I did say "in winter" were would you find a Warm cosy place that wasn't taken by everybody.

(in the bed) LoL

spacesailor

Hope you're not talking about a Dutch Oven spacesailor - might be warm and cosy but wouldn't smell like fresh baked bread!

Cupboard on top of the hot water cylinder is where we leave our dough.

• Haha 1