"Don't Pull Back!" training video

This is one of the most effective educational videos on Stall/Spin accidents I've come across.

It's half-an-hour long and made by an FAA certified ground instructor.

Some of it is quite basic, good for beginners, but the way it uses graphic simulations gives some good insights and reinforcement for most of us. It's sometimes necessary to pause and read the on-screen text; especially when the commentary competes with it.

Anyway, it shows how much serious learning (and teaching) can be done using the X-Plane simulator program.

• Like 6
  • Informative 1

Hi R618,

If I post the url here, this forum software converts it into the imbedded YouTube frame like you see above.

The best thing to do is just click on the YouTube icon at the bottom right of the imbedded frame. This will take you to the original YouTube page and you can just copy and paste the url from there.

Hi Frank, it seems to me there's a point where an aviator finally gets the idea of flight (a point many of us weekend pilots never quite reach, due lack of enough quality stick-time and/or aptitude); a point where all the theory covered in the lesson above becomes truly instinctive. Of course, we can stay safe without becoming a 'natural' by learning what's safe to do and what's not. Abstractly understood stuff ain't the same as instinct but it can see us through.

But having seen you fly your Drifter, both from below and from the back seat, I'd say you're one of those whose inner-bird well and truly takes over up there.

Too bad you're no longer instructing! (Although I wonder if instinct can actually be taught. What do you think?)

By the way, I just read something interesting in Jay Spenser's history book "The Airplane". He mentions the English engineer Francis Wenham whose work the Wrights knew and admired: "Where others looked to a ship-style rudder for control, Wenham had said in 1866 that turns in flight should be accomplished by generating more lift on one of an aircraft's wings than on the other. Wenham based this insight on his observation of birds ... It was prescient advice."

Who'd have thought that the right idea was established so early and then ignored for so long - at the cost of many pioneering lives. The book makes a case for the Wright brothers' bicycling background - where a turn is something one naturally leans into - being crucial to their getting the jump on many of their European rivals, still stuck on the idea of an aerial carriage; a vehicle that ought to remain perfectly upright for the duration and, naturally, use a rudder for the turning.

Anyway, pictured here, proving good old Francis was totally on the money, is the Birdman of Deeral, FNQ. ;-)

494008627_Farri002sm.jpg.da8bee9bf29f332f131c3e6a70f2e26a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...