Chinook WT-11

Jimmyhuf

Hi I'm James,

Young budding pilot flying out of Lilydale.

Looking for some info/any info on the Chinook WT-11. Also interested in spare parts.

I am part way through resorting my fathers chinook with a 447 Rotax on it.

Any help would be great!

• Like 3

Hey James,

I got parts some parts I needed for my restore from the manufacture in Canada, Paulette was her name. I hope they are still in business :)

I replaced the elevator bearings from the black pvc looking ones which had lots of play to the white delrin type they make...

The pulleys in the wings is something to check... PLEASE do as I found mine were warn to the point where the aileron cable could fit between the pulley and the pulley plate which if happened in the air would totally jam up the control and be a disaster....

We only found this out when we took the wings off and I was playing with the two cables on the ground pretending I was flying it lol it was pull up pull down look I'm flying then.......... what the! my aileron is stuck.... better look inside the wing..

sure enough the cable was stuck between the pulley and the holder which wore out to the point that allowed the cable to fit between the housing and jam up... maybe not happen in flight as the cable was loose in my hands but who would take a chance..

I found they are only a nylon pulley too with no bearing which mixed with a stainless cable is a silly idea but I guess all they had to use in the 80's... anyway I went to my local yacht place and got some beautiful double ball raced stainless double and single pulleys and replaced the total setup from the outer aileron all the way back to the centre control plate, if you have one you know what I mean :) the guy at the yacht supply place looked shocked at it use as nylon pulleys are for rope and not cable..

also inspect the elevator pipe's where the outside hinge is as I saw mine had a hair line crack where the pipe is flattened and bent to hinge the elevator. that was fixed up too...

check the landing gear system too, the early ones used a alum pipe to pivot the wheel off and the later ones were steel axle...

the other update was the pipe just behind the seat make sure you have the steel pipe there too as the alum ones failed on some...

add a few pics of yours if you have some? be good to see what you have.

And to others please don’t be a dumb ass and correct me to say the Chinook WT11 has wing warping system not a aileron as I mentioned lol 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

cheers Pete

Thanks Pete!

Actually just a question, what is the idea of the wings?? I've been told by everyone that it's a wing warp? There's no seperate aileron but I can see that when the wind cables are pulled it only bends the rear section of the wing. What is the difference of wing warping and what the chinooks do?

Guest ozzie

That is wing warping, just pulling down on the trailing edge. Crude but effective especially on low speed aircraft. (less drag).

MK3 Scouts used it as well.

as you know with yours no part of the wing spars etc warp as it has two struts to hold the wings in place, true wing warping flex the wing to change the incidence and the WT11 clearly is not controlled that way.

All they did was to design the wing to pivot from the rear spar to the wing trailing edge by using the wing ribs cut so I guess because it uses the fabric as the hinge people see it as wing warping but a true wing warp twist the wing total to change the incidence and if you look at the chinook when you move the control stick left and right you done see the wing spars move only the rear hinged aileron does... a true wing warping wing has a mass of cables along the wings top and bottom surface which pull the full wing cord to twist surface and control it in the air like the Wright Flyer did.

Thats Just my opinion though, as I have one :)

• Like 1

My Chinook Moves the control surface both up and down like a aileron dose, it actually moves more up than down which I gather was designed to not allow the lowering aileron surface to slow the wing and cause a yaw effect. shall we say a mechanical differential design.

And to others please don’t be a dumb ass and correct me to say the Chinook WT11 has wing warping system not a aileron as I mentioned lol 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I had many idiots tell me my Chinook had wing warping. In one accident report the investigator said the wing warping system appeared to be operational at impact. So much for that x-spurt report!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi I'm James,Young budding pilot flying out of Lilydale.

Looking for some info/any info on the Chinook WT-11. Also interested in spare parts.

I am part way through resorting my fathers chinook with a 447 Rotax on it.

Any help would be great!

I used to own a Chinook and can probably help with any problems you may have, I think you will be able to source materials in Aus to make parts without too many problems. One thing to check is the tail wheel, the weight of the a/c should bear down on the bottom bush of the rudder post and not be transferred up the rudder post to the top bearing on the the vertical fin.

Richard.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 months later...

So how's the rebuild going? Just finished techair's old girl and she a beauty

Test flown last week after her 14 year rest. Perfect.

Sorry no pics :). You'll have to wait for the movie. As it's done up as part of the movie :). She is done up into something very special and unique ;)

• Like 1

So how's the rebuild going? Just finished techair's old girl and she a beautyTest flown last week after her 14 year rest. Perfect.

Sorry no pics :). You'll have to wait for the movie. As it's done up as part of the movie :). She is done up into something very special and unique ;)

I have t had the time to even start! I bought another Chinook, identical but blue and only a 377 instead of the 447 Rotax my first one had. So now I have two chinook that will fly with new fabric and TLC. I just have no time now that I live away. They're both for sale. Going cheap if your interested.

I've bought a fully operational and flying X Air 618 for bugger all money!

• 1 year later...

Good day, can anyone tell me if they have ever rebuilt the wings on a chinook w t-11 single. Iam looking at buying a chinook this week. Has 384 hours always hangered but was built in 1983, was first chinook on floats by the factory owner. The second owner has had it since 1984 and it is mint condition. A challenger pilot told me to watch out as wing leading edge will warp close to VNE. Has anyone added extra bracing to a chinook wing or rebuilt with new aluminum. Any info would be greatly appreciated from someone whos had one of these. Regards Lobster Bob, Canada

Good day, can anyone tell me if they have ever rebuilt the wings on a chinook w t-11 single. Iam looking at buying a chinook this week. Has 384 hours always hangered but was built in 1983, was first chinook on floats by the factory owner. The second owner has had it since 1984 and it is mint condition. A challenger pilot told me to watch out as wing leading edge will warp close to VNE. Has anyone added extra bracing to a chinook wing or rebuilt with new aluminum. Any info would be greatly appreciated from someone whos had one of these. Regards Lobster Bob, Canada

You need the wing mod I will go into more detail tomorrow.

The aileron can cause the wing to twist near the tip which reverses the effect of the aileron. The mod is a tube between the rear and front spars held in place by a formed wrap around sheet aluminum piece at each end. This stiffens the wing and prevents the twisting effect.

The aileron can cause the wing to twist near the tip which reverses the effect of the aileron. The mod is a tube between the rear and front spars held in place by a formed wrap around sheet aluminum piece at each end. This stiffens the wing and prevents the twisting effect.

Appreciate the help, great info. Thanks Bob