Do not brake hard on landing

I think he was having a go at the well-known poor braking abilities of Jabs

Adam, in your case, because you were flying J160s and J170s most of the time, the brakes were ineffective because you were floating ...and... floating ..and .. floating ... and floating ...and ... floating and you were trying every trick under the sun to get the bugger to land so you could exit the strip before Tower Road or the trotting track.

LSA55s are a tad different and can trick you and land, with a bounce, when you really want them to float a bit so you can wash off height gently.

You did say"thing.". I have to have some agreement with you about slow landing planes. They are really gust sensitive. The early pilots had the right idea. Only fly at dawn and dusk, when conditions are calm. Nev

• Like 1

The only thing I've ever flown where I was comfortably < 45 knots at touchdown was an Iroquois.

You did say"thing.". I have to have some agreement with you about slow landing planes. They are really gust sensitive. The early pilots had the right idea. Only fly at dawn and dusk, when conditions are calm. Nev

Pilots should know what numbers their aircraft will stall at in its' current weight and configuration. It's never going to be the 'book' quoted figures. Pilots should be taught how to establish Vso - but Vso with a certain amt of power added to keep the aircraft stable in approach - but 'behind' the drag curve. In the above case - adjust power with full flap and stall the bloody thing.....only then can you x 1.3 and have some realistic idea of the safe late final approach speed. If you can't, or won't, teach your students how to do this, then I question your instructing bona fides. happy days,

• Like 2

The only thing I've ever flown where I was comfortably < 45 knots at touchdown was an Iroquois.

You need to live a little Dutchy:wink:

When landing at home in paddocks I fly a 40-45 knot final, not sure what I touch down at maybe I should have a squiz at the ASI next time:hide:But it would have to be well down into the thirties.

If it is a bit gusty and I have plenty of runway length ill approach at 45-50 and if really gusty with a crosswind it is better to be at least 50 knots with less flap:thumb up:

It's quite obvious that stall speed margins of a certain specified % are less for lower stall speeds than larger ones so lower stall speed plane are more susceptible to gusts . One formula is 1/2 the wind and all of the gust value. This is common with commercial jets with a bug speed of well over 100 knots and using ACTUAL landing weight, so it's all done pretty precisely using all the factors available.. I don't know who you are addressing your final sentence to but if it is me , then I strongly object to the conclusion you arrive at. Nev

I don't know who you are addressing your final sentence to but if it is me , then I strongly object to the conclusion you arrive at

Nev,

If you are referring to my last post ....... never intended the comment for anyone in particular - instructors in general. Sorry if you read it that way. BTW, my example pics were flown in nil wind, (so allowance for gusts not required). In my experience, pilots have lots more difficulty in landing safely on shorter strips in nil wind, or a slight downwind, than they do with a headwind. Hope you found the pics illustrative of the principle. cheers,

• Caution 1

The pictures are good and make your point well. The landing on the back of the wheels indicates you are going slow and it's not far from the upwind end of the strip. You have an excellent aircraft for it too.. Downwind landings are not generally taught I wouldn't recommend them unless a one way strip and certainly not above 5 knots unless uphill, where length is minimal/ Nev

Thanks for sharing! I was actually at the field that day when it happened and it is good to know the full story. As a very new pilot all these stories are invaluable in helping to learn from other peoples' mistakes. As an example, two things have been reinforced with me this week:

1. No low flying

2. Try to land without braking and where you do need to brake, make sure it is gentle and gradual

• Like 1

Try to land so as not to require brakes but if you have to use them you do. Most of our craft don't have very adequate brakes and some get away with none. We get used to relying on them in our cars/motorcycles and may think the plane is the same.

Jet aircraft have very elaborate and capable brakes, but we aren't flying them (yet) and they don't land on grass if they can avoid it.Nev

That is still my preference, and I've copped flak for being a wimp in gusty conditions.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

That is still my preference, and I've copped flak for being a wimp in gusty conditions.

Just make a list of their names, and wait; before long one will go quiet and won't be seen around the airfield for a while, you'll get a report back from another airfield where one came unstuck spectacularly, there'll be undercarriage/wingtip damage to one of the aircraft in the hangar, and one will admit that he screwed up, but not necessarily that you were right.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

He who stays home while the wind doth blast

Does not have to wonder if his luck will last

Why get uncomfy on a bumpy foray

When he can just wait for a better day

Others may snicker or laugh or scoff

Until spewing up while they are aloft

But on a serious note I have noticed that we are all a bit different in different conditions, for example some may be comfortable in gusty conditions but more cautious of cloudy showery days and vice versa. Not saying that those that are comfortable with it are wrong or dangerous! Personally I don't like gusty conditions, I like to think it is because of my stol plane not because I'm a sook:yes:.

That's not to say I haven't flown in gusty conditions because I have, that's not to say I couldn't because I can but it's just saying that I don't like it and if it's not going to be enjoyable there would have to be a good reason to make it worthwhile. After all I do fly for fun:thumb up:

• Agree 1

Are you referring to post #1. It has all the hallmarks of being a Jab LSA55 + actually a great little plane to fly. John Carlo must have muscles like a gorrilla to get it to lock up.Gentleness in all is the success of life.

Correct! It was a good ole LSA55. 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Correct again! I do have muscles of a gorilla! I skinny gorilla who hasn't been to the gym in a year! strong.gif.dc81ffdb7807ef709604a09d84c59938.gif

Thanks for sharing! I was actually at the field that day when it happened and it is good to know the full story. As a very new pilot all these stories are invaluable in helping to learn from other peoples' mistakes. As an example, two things have been reinforced with me this week:1. No low flying

2. Try to land without braking and where you do need to brake, make sure it is gentle and gradual

You saw me?? Well how embarrassing 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

But all the best with your flying, I'll see you around! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif