Tail wheel flying - gusting crosswinds

Where can I get cheap tailwheel time around Sydney? I'm paying $300/hr for citab time...

There are three Lightwings out at the Oaks, two with the Sydney Recreational Flying club, and I think Dave's flying School still has one.

There was a Drifter out there at one stage...?

one of the SRFC lightwings was looking fairly unloved

There is a very old Lightwing there, that is privately owned, which could do with a bit of TLC.

I've got a GR582 up here at Taree if you're up this way....

Angry.jpg.5e50a6995587104da5a9128fc3a8f9c4.jpg

• Like 2

Any flying school brave enough to have a taildragger 'online' for t/w endorsing will need to charge a reasonable fee. Fixing them after a groundloop can be a very expensive deal. (I've had experience with a C180, C170,and a SuperCub with t/w endorsing - and it's really hard on the gear with having to fly x/w ops). There has to be a margin for risk.

It's also very costly to have a taildragger available for private hire (= hr building) because of the insurance premium sought. A dual only endorsement isn't worth nearly so much as a dual plus several supervised solo and straight solo hours. This ensures that you are properly endorsed as no instructor is about to send you solo unless they are really certain of your training....a good indicator of its' worth?

And a suggestion - ensure that you are taught both 3 point and wheel landings in crosswinds because there are situations requiring one or the other. happy days,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

There's a nice Champ for hire at Wangaratta for $150/ hour solo (Classic Air). It's a fair drive or train trip, but it's apart half the price of a Citabria.

There's also a freshly refurbished DeHavilland Chipmunk at Albury, contact Hazair.

• Informative 1

There's a nice Champ for hire at Wangaratta for $150/ hour solo (Classic Air). It's a fair drive or train trip, but it's apart half the price of a Citabria.There's also a freshly refurbished DeHavilland Chipmunk at Albury, contact Hazair.

Do you have a contact number for the Champ, please?

Kaz

• Informative 1

There's a nice Champ for hire at Wangaratta for $150/ hour solo (Classic Air). It's a fair drive or train trip, but it's apart half the price of a Citabria.There's also a freshly refurbished DeHavilland Chipmunk at Albury, contact Hazair.

Do you have a contact number for the Champ, please?

Kaz