RPL taking over RPC?

Been browsing many flight schools and most of them are solely promoting the RPC. Does that mean RA-AUS have declining memberships of new students? Is there a financial incentive for schools to be promoting the RPL over the RPC or am I missing something in my understanding, as they're still two separate options right?

Ps. I'm looking for a school to do my PPL in Sydney, who will recognise my RPC hours.

Been browsing many flight schools and most of them are solely promoting the RPC. Does that mean RA-AUS have declining memberships of new students? Is there a financial incentive for schools to be promoting the RPL over the RPC or am I missing something in my understanding, as they're still two separate options right?

Ps. I'm looking for a school to do my PPL in Sydney, who will recognise my RPC hours.

Unless I've misunderstood your question, a lot of the schools that advertise for the RPC only would be because they are RA-AUS Flight Training Facilities and don't hold the authentications from CASA to provide RPL (thus PPL and CPL) training.

It's not about hours but competency, in regards to flight schools signing you off, CASA count the hours for minimum required.

Unless I've misunderstood your question, a lot of the schools that advertise for the RPC only would be because they are RA-AUS Flight Training Facilities and don't hold the authentications from CASA to provide RPL (thus PPL and CPL) training.

It's not about hours but competency, in regards to flight schools signing you off, CASA count the hours for minimum required.

Unless I've misunderstood your question, a lot of the schools that advertise for the RPC only would be because they are RA-AUS Flight Training Facilities and don't hold the authentications from CASA to provide RPL (thus PPL and CPL) training.It's not about hours but competency, in regards to flight schools signing you off, CASA count the hours for minimum required.

I guess what I'm trying to say is before the RPL existed those same schools advertised the RPC but it's now been replaced by the RPL, which means a decline in RPC promotion and take-up, meaning less RA-AUS memberships forward? The CASA RPL is the favoured option?

Unless I've misunderstood your question, a lot of the schools that advertise for the RPC only would be because they are RA-AUS Flight Training Facilities and don't hold the authentications from CASA to provide RPL (thus PPL and CPL) training.It's not about hours but competency, in regards to flight schools signing you off, CASA count the hours for minimum required.

I guess what I'm trying to say is before the RPL existed those same schools advertised the RPC but it's now been replaced by the RPL, which means a decline in RPC promotion and take-up, meaning less RA-AUS memberships forward? The CASA RPL is the favoured option?

Well before the RPL, surely they were marketing the PPL. RPL and RPC are not interchangeable in that you can't operate the same aircraft with a RPC as you can with a RPL and vice versa.

People who go the RPC route do so because it's either cheaper or because they want to fly a RA-AUS registered aircraft. That hasn't changed since RPL came in.

• Agree 2

Well before the RPL, surely they were marketing the PPL. RPL and RPC are not interchangeable in that you can't operate the same aircraft with a RPC as you can with a RPL and vice versa.

People who go the RPC route do so because it's either cheaper or because they want to fly a RA-AUS registered aircraft. That hasn't changed since RPL came in.

There is something going on and I can not pick it.. However all will be revealed one day.. These trends are telling us something and we are not getting the true fact from up the ladder.

Regards,

KP.

There is something going on and I can not pick it.. However all will be revealed one day.. These trends are telling us something and we are not getting the true fact from up the ladder.

Regards,

KP.

Before RPL there was a misbegotten beast called GFPT which essentially allowed one do do what an RPL now permits. There were few (one?) in the Sydney basin that did both RPC and PPL (inc GFPT) and I donøt think that has changed except that the RPL has replaced the GFPT. There is probably a bit more encouragement for the RPL because it offers incremental endorsements that offer greater freedoms.

Personally I would recommend Dave's Flying School and the Sydney Recreational Flying Club at The Oaks for RAA training leading to an RPC or for PPL/RPL I would recommend Schofields Flying Club at Bankstown. All 3 organisations have excellent instructors.

Before RPL there was a misbegotten beast called GFPT which essentially allowed one do do what an RPL now permits. There were few (one?) in the Sydney basin that did both RPC and PPL (inc GFPT) and I donøt think that has changed except that the RPL has replaced the GFPT. There is probably a bit more encouragement for the RPL because it offers incremental endorsements that offer greater freedoms.

Personally I would recommend Dave's Flying School and the Sydney Recreational Flying Club at The Oaks for RAA training leading to an RPC or for PPL/RPL I would recommend Schofields Flying Club at Bankstown. All 3 organisations have excellent instructors.

The (new since I started there) instructors at Dave's seem to have gone to Curtis, so that's where I went... ask me in a couple of months how the PPL conversion thing goes.

(I have a plan of attack sorted with the CFI; just need weather, time, and money to all coincide...)

The (new since I started there) instructors at Dave's seem to have gone to Curtis, so that's where I went... ask me in a couple of months how the PPL conversion thing goes.

(I have a plan of attack sorted with the CFI; just need weather, time, and money to all coincide...)

I'd suggest completing the RPC with a school who train to a standard equivalent / higher than the RPL. Conversion to the RPL should be pretty straight forward. To boost membership by attracting more GA pilots to convert to RAAus the minimum of 5 hours in an RAAus type should be removed for 3 axis and based on competency (a flight review). Should the FR reveal any shortcomings (eg need to develop EFATO skills on low inertia aircraft) then provide whatever training is required. There's nothing to stop the existing 5 hours requirement to be accrued on a couple of Navs, which does little to prove competency.

I'd suggest completing the RPC with a school who train to a standard equivalent / higher than the RPL. Conversion to the RPL should be pretty straight forward. To boost membership by attracting more GA pilots to convert to RAAus the minimum of 5 hours in an RAAus type should be removed for 3 axis and based on competency (a flight review). Should the FR reveal any shortcomings (eg need to develop EFATO skills on low inertia aircraft) then provide whatever training is required. There's nothing to stop the existing 5 hours requirement to be accrued on a couple of Navs, which does little to prove competency.

RS If that was being done, it could not be demonstrated as being suitable assessment or training , in my view.

I agree with the rest of your assessment /review concept although it would be a rare situation where a good RAAus instructor couldn't pass on some good insight into the miriad situation forced landings, limit manoeuvering low energy course reversal etc, low inertia aspects good and bad and crosswind handling for light wing loading types. Nev

RS If that was being done, it could not be demonstrated as being suitable assessment or training , in my view.

I agree with the rest of your assessment /review concept although it would be a rare situation where a good RAAus instructor couldn't pass on some good insight into the miriad situation forced landings, limit manoeuvering low energy course reversal etc, low inertia aspects good and bad and crosswind handling for light wing loading types. Nev

The (new since I started there) instructors at Dave's seem to have gone to Curtis, so that's where I went... ask me in a couple of months how the PPL conversion thing goes.(I have a plan of attack sorted with the CFI; just need weather, time, and money to all coincide...)

Interesting. Who went to Curtis? Which Dave are you talking about?

Does Curtis do RAA Training? I can't see it on their website

The (new since I started there) instructors at Dave's seem to have gone to Curtis, so that's where I went... ask me in a couple of months how the PPL conversion thing goes.(I have a plan of attack sorted with the CFI; just need weather, time, and money to all coincide...)

Interesting. Who went to Curtis? Which Dave are you talking about?

Does Curtis do RAA Training? I can't see it on their website

RPL taking over RPC?

Discussion in 'Student Pilot and Further Learning' started by johncarlo, Sunday at 10:34 AM.

As per thread title:

RPL does not "replace" the RPC.

You still need (currently anyway) a RPC to operate RAA registered aircraft. RPL for VH or for gaining CTA access.

RPL taking over RPC?

Discussion in 'Student Pilot and Further Learning' started by johncarlo, Sunday at 10:34 AM.

As per thread title:

RPL does not "replace" the RPC.

You still need (currently anyway) a RPC to operate RAA registered aircraft. RPL for VH or for gaining CTA access.