Changing planes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think "What is different about THIS plane" and don't forget it when you are flying it. Fly a plane on the back of the drag curve and be able to recognise it and don't quite go there unless you doing a real precautionary If you do everything instinctively you will muck it up one day. Landing is a judgement of where the ground is in relation to your wheels (or Keel). Your bum might be nearly on the ground or 40 feet up when the wheels roll along nicely, so obviously the "view" from your cabin is going to vary enormously. You are "intellectualising" it too much, which raises the distinct possibility of confusion happening. Nev

• Agree 3

Think "What is different about THIS plane" and don't forget it when you are flying it. Fly a plane on the back of the drag curve and be able to recognise it and don't quite go there unless you doing a real precautionary If you do everything instinctively you will muck it up one day. Landing is a judgement of where the ground is in relation to your wheels (or Keel). Your bum might be nearly on the ground or 40 feet up when the wheels roll along nicely, so obviously the "view" from your cabin is going to vary enormously. You are "intellectualising" it too much, which raises the distinct possibility of confusion happening. Nev

With a new type of plane I like to try slow flight, before I even think about landing it. You no doubt have the POH figures to aim for, but at a good height get the plane configured for slow flight. Slow it down to flap extension speed, then reduce some power and pull back a bit, see how it feels and go a stage further until it begins to feel sloppy. Speed up with power then go through the same process with flaps. You will get a good insight into how the sight picture looks and also how it all feels. Of course there will be some aircraft that will give you a surprise with a sudden wing drop, but it is better to find out about it with plenty of height in hand.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

With a new type of plane I like to try slow flight, before I even think about landing it. You no doubt have the POH figures to aim for, but at a good height get the plane configured for slow flight. Slow it down to flap extension speed, then reduce some power and pull back a bit, see how it feels and go a stage further until it begins to feel sloppy. Speed up with power then go through the same process with flaps. You will get a good insight into how the sight picture looks and also how it all feels. Of course there will be some aircraft that will give you a surprise with a sudden wing drop, but it is better to find out about it with plenty of height in hand.

What I was wondering, for the people who use attitude based final approaches, is how you deal with the difference in attitude on final between planes. I know Noel Kruse's book has the dot, and I quite like the planes I've been in with the dot (which is, unfortunately, in the wrong spot for me) but again, changing planes a lot, I can't really get the dot to work.

Ada

Ask the bloody instructor that's what they are there for, if they are any good they will not sign you off on a new type until you have it right.

Aldo

• Agree 3

What I was wondering, for the people who use attitude based final approaches, is how you deal with the difference in attitude on final between planes. I know Noel Kruse's book has the dot, and I quite like the planes I've been in with the dot (which is, unfortunately, in the wrong spot for me) but again, changing planes a lot, I can't really get the dot to work.

Ada

Ask the bloody instructor that's what they are there for, if they are any good they will not sign you off on a new type until you have it right.

Aldo

started testing a prototype and homebrewed engine. All great stuff. No book as I write it as I go. The good thing is that the plane does not know if its a Jodel, SE5a, or spamcan. They all work the same way and do not even know where the wheels are. Just get to know there different personalities. Just like people. Sound, touch, vibes etc. You will fly best when everything is covered up. The altimeter wont tell you how high you are if you land at a different place. Fly by angle. Also fly by attitude . Pull the nose up untill it nods at the edge of the stall, lower the nose a few degrees so that it feels and sounds right. Note the attitude and follow that down to your aiming point. When there gently flare and fly level with the ground . Throttle closed of course, just try to stop it landing and you will find the pole slowly comming right back. No wavy stuff on the pole. As said before the plane does not know where its wheels are. All types will now settle properlt if you just keep it straight. Easy as. Chas

started testing a prototype and homebrewed engine. All great stuff. No book as I write it as I go. The good thing is that the plane does not know if its a Jodel, SE5a, or spamcan. They all work the same way and do not even know where the wheels are. Just get to know there different personalities. Just like people. Sound, touch, vibes etc. You will fly best when everything is covered up. The altimeter wont tell you how high you are if you land at a different place. Fly by angle. Also fly by attitude . Pull the nose up untill it nods at the edge of the stall, lower the nose a few degrees so that it feels and sounds right. Note the attitude and follow that down to your aiming point. When there gently flare and fly level with the ground . Throttle closed of course, just try to stop it landing and you will find the pole slowly comming right back. No wavy stuff on the pole. As said before the plane does not know where its wheels are. All types will now settle properlt if you just keep it straight. Easy as. Chas

(Not just an Ursula le Guin novel).Does anyone else fly multiply different types of aircraft regularly, and what landing technique (as in how to think about landing) do you use?

(I mentioned to the CFI yesterday that I had done circuits (or at least landings, since one was a glider) in six different types of aircraft out of three different airports in the past month, and my poor brain was getting somewhat confused.)

Well, looking back on my 3500+hrs in 80 odd different ultralight types over the past 25 odd years, I was very surprised how badly I flew a glider for the first time in 30 odd years.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

When I left gliding back then, I had near 200 hours, Silver C, and around 20 odd types (from Kooka' to Jantar), but getting into a K21, I was all over the place.

What I'm getting at is that with less than 100 hours, you may just be biting off a bit much, not doubting your ability to learn multiple streams, but the variation between these disciplines can be vague and maybe contradictory.

Maybe get fully compliant with one field, so that when you try another, you will see the differences and know what to, and not to, do while involved with each in turn.

I hope this doesn't seem harsh, hopefully I'm wrong, and at this early stage of all your learning you can/will become multi capable, but it will take a real effort to separate and understand the differences.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

(Not just an Ursula le Guin novel).Does anyone else fly multiply different types of aircraft regularly, and what landing technique (as in how to think about landing) do you use?

(I mentioned to the CFI yesterday that I had done circuits (or at least landings, since one was a glider) in six different types of aircraft out of three different airports in the past month, and my poor brain was getting somewhat confused.)

Well, looking back on my 3500+hrs in 80 odd different ultralight types over the past 25 odd years, I was very surprised how badly I flew a glider for the first time in 30 odd years.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

When I left gliding back then, I had near 200 hours, Silver C, and around 20 odd types (from Kooka' to Jantar), but getting into a K21, I was all over the place.

What I'm getting at is that with less than 100 hours, you may just be biting off a bit much, not doubting your ability to learn multiple streams, but the variation between these disciplines can be vague and maybe contradictory.

Maybe get fully compliant with one field, so that when you try another, you will see the differences and know what to, and not to, do while involved with each in turn.

I hope this doesn't seem harsh, hopefully I'm wrong, and at this early stage of all your learning you can/will become multi capable, but it will take a real effort to separate and understand the differences.

Well, looking back on my 3500+hrs in 80 odd different ultralight types over the past 25 odd years, I was very surprised how badly I flew a glider for the first time in 30 odd years.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gifWhen I left gliding back then, I had near 200 hours, Silver C, and around 20 odd types (from Kooka' to Jantar), but getting into a K21, I was all over the place.

Interesting that you found that Pylon. I bet you a milkshake that your feet got you into trouble. Aileron drag. Chas

Well, looking back on my 3500+hrs in 80 odd different ultralight types over the past 25 odd years, I was very surprised how badly I flew a glider for the first time in 30 odd years.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gifWhen I left gliding back then, I had near 200 hours, Silver C, and around 20 odd types (from Kooka' to Jantar), but getting into a K21, I was all over the place.

Interesting that you found that Pylon. I bet you a milkshake that your feet got you into trouble. Aileron drag. Chas

Good enough for an instructor isn't necessarily good enough for my personal standards. Also, I've asked my instructors, and I've gotten their opinions on what works for them. I'm trying to work out what works for me.

The question isn't "how do I do it", the question is "how do I avoid being sloppy the first couple of circuits in a different aircraft".

When I went from a draggy aircraft to a slick aircraft today (and my instructor was happy to sign me off, officially, on both) the first few circuits I was way high.

Good enough for an instructor isn't necessarily good enough for my personal standards. Also, I've asked my instructors, and I've gotten their opinions on what works for them. I'm trying to work out what works for me.

The question isn't "how do I do it", the question is "how do I avoid being sloppy the first couple of circuits in a different aircraft".

When I went from a draggy aircraft to a slick aircraft today (and my instructor was happy to sign me off, officially, on both) the first few circuits I was way high.

During my training (yes I'm still learning/training!) I was nearly always high and got a lot of sideslipping practice (which incidentally was fun in the j3) but I was always told there are countless ways to lose height but if you are too low your options become limited.

Personally I think over thinking is just as bad as not thinking, they will both take your attention away from where it needs to be. There is a lot to be said about missing the forest for the trees, so be very careful you don't forget the first two rules of flying!

1: fly the airplane

2:fly the airplane!

• Agree 1

During my training (yes I'm still learning/training!) I was nearly always high and got a lot of sideslipping practice (which incidentally was fun in the j3) but I was always told there are countless ways to lose height but if you are too low your options become limited.

Personally I think over thinking is just as bad as not thinking, they will both take your attention away from where it needs to be. There is a lot to be said about missing the forest for the trees, so be very careful you don't forget the first two rules of flying!

1: fly the airplane

2:fly the airplane!

I do a lot of sideslipping, but the Alpha just won't come down even if sideslipped, if you're too high.

I'm not talking about overthinking in the moment. I'm talking about overthinking in the pre-brief and de-brief.

In an emergency (and I am exposed to non-aviation emergencies reasonably often in my day job) you should be so well trained that you can run through the routine automatically. The pre-brief is "how can I make the conditions around a critical situation as best as possible"; the de-brief is "what happened just then and how can we improve it for next time?". Thinking, even to excess, is useful in those situations.

• Like 1

I do a lot of sideslipping, but the Alpha just won't come down even if sideslipped, if you're too high.

I'm not talking about overthinking in the moment. I'm talking about overthinking in the pre-brief and de-brief.

In an emergency (and I am exposed to non-aviation emergencies reasonably often in my day job) you should be so well trained that you can run through the routine automatically. The pre-brief is "how can I make the conditions around a critical situation as best as possible"; the de-brief is "what happened just then and how can we improve it for next time?". Thinking, even to excess, is useful in those situations.

The day you stop learning in aviation should be the day you give it up.. I'm flying 80 hours a month at the moment and still struggle between different types until I have a comfortable amount of recent time on type (currency)

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

The day you stop learning in aviation should be the day you give it up.. I'm flying 80 hours a month at the moment and still struggle between different types until I have a comfortable amount of recent time on type (currency)