Mulitorotors

The Swarm man carrying multi-rotor airborne flight testing montage. 54 counter-rotation propellers, six grouped control channels with Hobbyking stabilization. Take of weight 148kg, max lift, max approx. lift 164kg. Endurance10 minutes.

Looks like it's going better than last video I saw of it.

Really though - if you're going to post videos of you test flying your daring new concept aircraft, why would you do it with SHORTS and BLACK SOCKS??

I laughed.....A helmet, but T shirt and shorts. A windscreen, but you can't see through it......

Not sure of the reasoning behind a million of these little motors over 6 or so larger ones........

Doesn't look very "stabilised" to me, swinging all over the place........

I wondered about the windscreen too, but then I figured it out. The angled sides are to protect his scone from any of the 54 props that may come loose and be flung at it.

I actually like the concept, with independent speed controller on each engine, altimeter and gyro, surely he'd be able to set up auto-stabilization and auto-hover?

The other thing I reckon would be good would to have a swivelling beam for the line of engines across the middle, so you could angle them forward or backward for forward motion. If their speed was independently variable too that gives you turn control. (If you could point one side forward and the other backward at the same time, that gives you great turn control!)

Oh, and if he's going to take it any higher - BRS. Definitely.

Some Germans already got a bit further with this:

http://www.e-volo.com/

I think it would be a great way around a lot of the inherent problems of helicopters; no single point failures (if you set it up with independent controllers and multiple battery packs), no problems with torque, much reduced vibrations. Flying it would be a lot easier than handling a (small) helicopter too, even to the extend that it could fly completely remote controlled or automatic.

A BRS would be easy to fit, you can shoot it through the middle of the rotor assembly instead of having a rotor in the way, although you probably want something that works from a really low level especially for the early stages of development.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

It is raining here again this afternoon so I was doing some 'research' on YouTube and came across this interesting young fella. This is the 8th video of this multi rotor but check his channel out, seems to be a bit of a goer anyway.

• Like 1

This one's pretty good too...

But what the hell is that shirt on the bloke in the background at 1:50?? Bex... is it the fashion in China to cut everything off just under the armpits? Kind of a crop top for blokes?