Flight Following v Flight Plan

DrZoos

Does anyone here use flight following and in what circumstances do you use it as apposed to a flight plan...Also how many people lodge flight plans when fliying RAAus aircraft not in cta...

Personally - only when operating in or through CTA, RAA and GA. (No longer current IFR)

On my trip the other day i heard several including what i thought where RAAus aircraft asking for flight following from Brisbane...none had lodged plans, but brisbane was happy to comply... I did a mini one going past coffs and they got me to ident...and they tracked me .... But in future i might get one the entire way as they gave me a heads up on two approaching aircraft which is always nice, especially inthat area

• Agree 2

Does anyone here use flight following and in what circumstances do you use it as apposed to a flight plan...Also how many people lodge flight plans when fliying RAAus aircraft not in cta...

Zoos

As you found out flight following can be very useful, centre don't have to give it to you but if you have a plan in the system and ask for flight following you will usually get it, I use it when in higher density traffic areas and particularly if I have a CTA transit, they give you a code and traffic advisories.

I submit a plan for any flight that is not just a local fly around, but it also forms part of our company journey management requirements

Aldo

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I tend to at least get a traffic statement before I go into high traffic density areas, ie the vicinity of TV towers near Archerfield, because see and avoid is ok, alerted see and avoid is much better. As for the flight following, you are essentially getting the same service as an IFR aircraft gets in class g airspace, ie you will get traffic alerts, restricted area avoidance, updated meteorological information and a hazard alerting service. Initially setting it up can occasionally increase the workload for the controller, but in some ways it will reduce controller workload too, as we have to give IFR aircraft traffic information on known VFR aircraft, however when we know your intentions we can perhaps discount you as traffic, or at least provide much more accurate traffic information.

It is really good to use if you are going into controlled airspace, as there is nothing more frustrating for a controller than a VFR aircraft calling up 10nm prior to the boundary wanting a clearance when you are busy. If you are getting a flight following, the controller will already know you want a clearance and will integrate you into their traffic picture, and you are much more likely to get a clearance. Just remember, a flight following on its own is still not a clearance! Don't enter the CTA until you have the clearance, and if you are getting close and still don't have a clearance just give the controller a friendly reminder.

As for the logistics of using the flight following, it is only available in class E OR G, in surveillance coverage subject to controller workload. You will need a transponder and vhf radio, and while using the service, you must notify ATC of any intended changes in tracking or altitude prior to doing them, and maintain a listening watch on the centre frequency, ATC will direct any frequency transfers, and the frequency is a read back item. It makes everyone's life much easier if you already have a plan in the system, as there is a bit involved in creating a plan. Suggest reading AIP GEN 3.3 2.16 for all the info. All in all, it is a pretty handy service that is a bit under utilised.

• Agree 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Informative 4

Thanks Ian......

So one of the issues for going past say Coffs is 6/10 times you get squeezed by cloud and mountains so there is no possible way to predict an accurate track... Also the flight path if there is any cloud below 6000 is fairly difficult ... because you tend to fly up the coast, turn west and underfly the steps , then climb to get over the mountains, but stay under the cloud ...

On a clear day its much safer to climb to 5500 or 6500..but 50% of the time that's impossible due to cloud. So you tend to under fly the steps , climb as high as you can and scud run past the mountains at the safest points you can see...

In this case do you think the ATC would prefer to know we are there with just and ident or would they prefer to flight follow us ???

The other are where i think it would be particularly useful was around Caloundra..it was extremely busy... you have the local caloundra traffic, then all the north south traffic ducking under the airspace, trying to stay above the circuit and trying to stay west of the sunshine coast approach... add some cloud around 2500-4500 to that area and again its a very hard area for non locals to have a flight plan and stick to it...

The catch 22 from my perspective is these areas tend to be high traffic, but the compression of CTA and other factors causing the high traffic, also is what makes it hard to stick to a designated flight path, except on the clearest of days.

Ian

If you are working BN centre and it seems that you do, you guys do an excellent job in a pretty busy area, thanks for all the help you give us guys flying VFR, I don't always get the clearances I would like but 9 times out of 10 you give me exactly what I've planned. If you know Doug Scott and if you work in BN I will assume you do, Doug and I went to school together say g'day to him for me.

Allan

Aldo: Doug is Ian's any my Manager Once Removed. Will pass on your hello.

Zoos: Coffs is a funny area due to the low LSALTS and the steps but I think there is some misunderstanding here.

If you just lodge a flight plan and never call ATC then we will never activate your flight plan and won't be watching to make sure you follow it. You are VFR in G, you can track as you please. If you request flight following then we will be a little more active with ensuring you are following your plan. As for what we prefer, we will not be chasing you unless it looks like you will breach CTA.

Of course if you want a clearance through the steps (and are eligible) that is quite a different situation.

Don't forget anyone can call centre and ask for a traffic statement for the current situation. It is a snapshot only but can give you a little more situational awareness.

In the Coffs area we are also watching to make sure you don't cut through the CTA steps which happens occasionally too but that is a separate issue.

I do recommend anyone that ever spends time in Brisbane or Melbourne please organise a time to visit the centre. We may be able to get you in to listen on a sector and chat to the controllers so you can understand what is going on. If you want to visit Brisbane centre let me know and we will see what we can do to get you in. Be mindful we are on HIGH alert for security so would need some advance notice to organise.

Pilot Hat: As a pilot I would be lodging a flight plan at every opportunity. It never hurts to have it in there, if you want to amend it you can call ATC and update them with any changes (you don't have to be ultra specific) and then if something happens to you the SAR guys will at least have a planned route they can start searching for you if something goes awry.

Cheers,

Shags

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 5