Jabiru experience

Spooks

So what would be the procedure to Convert one to VH Experimental and put a Camit in it, and then would it be possible to up it's MTOW to the 750kgs it was built for rather than the paper MTOW it operates under in RAA?Would all of that even be possible.

If you built it and have a builders log/documentation then I believe that it is relatively straight forward paperwork exercise as if it is being registered for the first time. I suggest contacting SAAA and they can refer you to a local Tech Councilor.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dr Zoos... That's not a bad start. Students should note the CHOKE function only works when the throttle is closed as it is a bypass situation. Also IF the engine is over propped the mass airflow may never be sufficient to get the slide and the needle to the fully UP position where it is enrichened for the max power situation.

As the plane operates at a higher altitude the same situation occurs. The slide will not go to the fully open position. This is alleged to be the altitude mixture compensation feature, which may more or lees be effective If the needle taper delivers the result sought.

Also IF the dashpot sticks wide open for some reason, the engine will not respond to the throttle being opened. This happened with a Jabiru engine in the US, and the engine failed. Nev

• Informative 1

If you built it and have a builders log/documentation then I believe that it is relatively straight forward paperwork exercise as if it is being registered for the first time. I suggest contacting SAAA and they can refer you to a local Tech Councilor.

That is my point. I do not want to be a builder. I would rather spend my time flying. Its not that I am not capable of doing it, I just don't want to. That is why I ask if it is possible to do it with one that is already registered. If I did decide to build one it is unlikely that it would be a Jabiru or anything else that could be bought off the shelf.

So what would be the procedure to Convert one to VH Experimental and put a Camit in it, and then would it be possible to up it's MTOW to the 750kgs it was built for rather than the paper MTOW it operates under in RAA?Would all of that even be possible.

Geoff - I believe so - but it's only useful to you if you have an RPL or higher.

Answers are in all probability available from Darren Barnefield, or Alan Kerr: [email protected]

In all seriousness, and not beating any Jabiru drum: from other posts of yours, you are not afraid to take on 'fettling' work, nor are you inexperienced in that. You have had first-hand exposure that just writing the cheque does not guarantee perfection - in a situation that would freak the hell out of just about any of us. I will take the cessation of noise up front vs. a cockpit full of smoke, any day.

Can I suggest that a VH-exp aircraft, with the hours on it to give it acceptance to CTA, might be a pretty good compromise for you and your GLW to happily tour just about anywhere in Aus?

• Caution 1

I believe so BUT

Unless you built the aircraft (or similar) you cant maintain it, also doubt you could raise MTOW over 600 unless your the builder

Unless you assembld engine same story.

Thank you both. I am considering going for my RPL licence just so that I can go into CTA and Controlled airfields if the whim takes me. Obviously my current aircraft would not allow me to do that no matter what licence I hold. I still love flying my plane but one must try to keep the boss happy I guess. My other problem with the 230 apart from CASA and the engine itself is a weight issue. I am certain it is not my wife but either I or the aircraft are built a little bit to heavily for comfort at 600kgs. We could fly it but not with full fuel.

Oscar I can tell you for certain you are correct, give me silence any day over smoke and yes I am aware the factory built does not in itself mean free from faults.

• Like 1

Geoff

If you are considering a J230 (I will not enter the engine debate - too many preconceived opinions here for me)

Just consider, although the tanks can hold 135ltrs for one up flying, at 80ltrs you still have over 3 hrs endurance at 120kts, or 2nm per minute. Like any aircraft you are fuel limited by weight to stay legal, in all classes be it RAA, GA, or RPT.

If you are interested in a personal opinion, feel free to PM me.