4 hours down.

So today i had my 4th lesson and I started on circuits. Yes it is a bit of a skip theough to be doing circuits this early but there is a valid reason for this. Any way so i thoroughly enjoyed doing circuits today and really started to feel comfortable with everything that was going on in the cockpit. To my surprise my instructer was super impressed with my efforts and on the second attempt i landed on my own. I was so stoked with the day and my instructer said he would be happy to give me one more circuit lesson and send me on my first solo. So its fair to say at this stage im am buzzing. Just thought i would share this on here as i know everyone here will understand haha. My family and friends dont really have a grasp on what it all means.

Cheers.

Dan

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Dan your clearly going great...perhaps there is something your not telling us and thats fine DONT...but be warned if you are seriously only 4 hours experience, when shit hits the fan, and it will with a gust of wind or a mistake, its best to have the instructor on board...even if he is seriously board out of his brains... your paying for him anyway so dont be in a rush to kick him out... pick his brains to bits....get him to challenge you , but be cautious about letting him or wanting him out of the plane prematurely...

Not to mention the legalities of doing so form insurance for the FTF, club etc and your own insurance if you get hurt or hurt someone else...

I was similar when i learned, i got it pretty quick after plenty of time in the right seats as a kid doing touch and goes on the beach...but twice i got in horrible shape at touch down with cross winds at around 10 hours and thank god the instructor was on board

Well done Dan. If you have no other experience and have covered effects of controls, straight and level, climbing and descending, turning, stalling and the first circuit lesson in four lessons you are indeed progressing at a rapid pace. How long are your lessons?

Well, I started on circuits in the first lesson after the TIF, but doing circuits covers effects of controls, S&L, climbing, descending, climbing and descending turns, all in the one routine.

Going solo without circuit and other emergencies, though, is fraught with danger.

(Emergencies should be: stall, incipient spin, engine failure after takeoff and in the circuit, and fire)

I must have done at least thirty mock engine failure glide approaches in the circuit before going solo.

Haha relax everybody it was my instructors way of complimenting me. No way i would actually go solo so prematurely. But thanks for all the tips. And yes i did have some flying experience in a way prior to these lessons. And they are standard 1 hour lessons. Cheers.

• Like 1

So today i had my 4th lesson and I started on circuits. Yes it is a bit of a skip theough to be doing circuits this early but there is a valid reason for this. Any way so i thoroughly enjoyed doing circuits today and really started to feel comfortable with everything that was going on in the cockpit. To my surprise my instructer was super impressed with my efforts and on the second attempt i landed on my own. I was so stoked with the day and my instructer said he would be happy to give me one more circuit lesson and send me on my first solo. So its fair to say at this stage im am buzzing. Just thought i would share this on here as i know everyone here will understand haha. My family and friends dont really have a grasp on what it all means.Cheers.

Dan

Well done mate! Family and friends won't understand until you take them for a fly and show them how awesome it is.

Best of luck with the training.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dan,

Congratulations on doing well. There is no problem with early solo. It is important to solo before the first learning plateau. This natural slowdown in rate occurs for most around ten hours. I had no problem with young farm boys going into Ag. Almost all soloed a Champ or Cub tailwheel trainer around the sixth hour. That was without ever having used an airspeed indicator or any instrument, glass or otherwise, inside the airplane. The trend toward learning everything first to satisfy operator and insurance is bullshit. If the education of the student does not come first, we are in the wrong training facility. Beware of schools that have all new equipment. They will protect that equipment to your disadvantage.

Failure to solo students when first ready will lead to many learning plateaus before solo, time, and money. Again, if money is their game, look elsewhere.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1