Richthoven - 100 year old movie clip

rgmwa

I wonder what the black strap going under his chin and over his head is??? It looks like a strap for his officers cap but it stays on his head when he swaps the officers cap for his flying cap.

Anyone? My thought is it may have been related to his injury from a previous crash...? I've seen footage of him with bandages around his head but not like this.

Obviously filmed for propaganda purposes, but very rare and interesting footage just the same. (Sorry about the incorrect spelling in the title - couldn't change it).http://videos.komando.com/watch/8095/kims-picks-ultra-rare-footage-of-the-most-famous-fighter-pilot-ever

rgmwa

Interesting historical footage!

I wonder what the black strap going under his chin and over his head is??? It looks like a strap for his officers cap but it stays on his head when he swaps the officers cap for his flying cap.Anyone? My thought is it may have been related to his injury from a previous crash...? I've seen footage of him with bandages around his head but not like this.

Yes your right . But was shot in the head previously and the wound is still healing. They didn't want him flying but he flew anyway. So the strap hold the swab thing over wound .

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Yes I know. He was shot in the head previously and the wound is still healing. They didn't want him flying but he flew anyway.

I have seen every Docco , movie. And read every book .... My no.1 ww-1 hero

• Agree 1

Thanks .Interesting.The first engine was a 110 HP Le Rhone and the newer larger one a Siemens Halske where the prop goes at 1/2 engine speed. With very large props they get airborne quickly and climb fast. a feature of the slow revving high torque Rotary motors where the engine rotates and the crankshaft stays still. Nev