New Savannah owner

Traveldoc

2011 built by an engineer. 250 hours spent in the desert! Wired by a LAME. 2-pack paint. Aera 500 GPS. ICOM 210 radio.(Does my enthusiasm show?)

S

Beautiful looking Plane and can see why your enthusiastic.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
My new machine (at Broken Hill?)Delivery was interrupted by adverse wind. 35kt on the nose. Try again soon.

Next question:

Where can I buy Mr Funnel large. $125 on eBay.

Steve[ATTACH=full]39761[/ATTACH]

Hi Steve

How's the flying going in your nice blue sav and did you track down a mr funnel?

Cheers

Mike

Oops, updated my story in the "Just Landed" thread. Copied below:

Finally flew in my own aircraft!

Only 45 min worth due to stormy weather around Bathurst.

Toe brakes pretty useless in current config. They work but cant actually feel them to be separate from the rudder pedals. Hopefully will be better when pedals moved forward.

Quick lift off and rapid climb: 1000-1100 fpm at near MTOW. Steep turns tight and easier than on training aircraft. Power off stall very sedate. No wing drop, mushy controls, VSI jumped -200 to -1000.

PFL will need some practice: slow glide speed had me struggling to get down to chosen paddock without overshoot. Felt like I could do some of the SMH cryptic crossword to pass time.

My 1st ever landing hampered by brake feel but pretty short and survivable.

Day 2 familiarisation flight cancelled when incoming radio calls were barely audible. LAME will sort this out next week I hope.

Mr Funnel (from eBay) for Christmas. Paid top dollar. Just saw unused 2nd hand one on eBay or Gumtree for 1/2 price. Always the way for me.

• Like 3

Traveldoc

Sideslip is your best friend. The Sav does it soooooo well if you look a bit high just boot that rudder you will be surprised how controllable and how easy it is to steer while coming down at 2000 fpm. I would sideslip every second landing I think as I am always a bit high.....throw over from my gliding days I am sure. Always easier to wash off the extra than claim it back

Mark

• Like 1

Another newbie question:

Source of Rotax oil filters and suitable oil at fair price? Near Sydney or Bathurst.

Have serviced my own motorcycles for 30+ years including complete engine rebuilds. Buggered if I'll pay $90/hr for the LAME apprentice to change the oil.

Most websites seem to recommend Aeroshell Sport oil. Any car or M/C substitutes OK?

Steve

A couple of others being used over here - Mobil 1 and a Morris lubricant - also an Elf product has just been introduced. Whether they have the necessary additive in them to service the gearbox I dont know. I just dont take the risk of using anything but Aeroshell.

Other filter other than Rotax are suppoed to be inferior so I just use the rotax ones...they are a bit more expensive but buy them in bulk say 5 or 10 at a time them spread them around your mates to offset the cost to each other. I only use the Shell aerosport Oil. I get it direct from the shell guy at Archerfield in a carton lot. works out last time I bought was 12.50 a litre

Other filter other than Rotax are suppoed to be inferior so I just use the rotax ones...they are a bit more expensive but buy them in bulk say 5 or 10 at a time them spread them around your mates to offset the cost to each other. I only use the Shell aerosport Oil. I get it direct from the shell guy at Archerfield in a carton lot. works out last time I bought was 12.50 a litre

I totally agree with Mark and I use rotax filter, new washer for oil tank and use the shell areo sport oil.

Cheers

Mike

if you have BP at Bathurst, see if they can get the oil for you, the BP fuel truck guy here at Bankstown gets it for me at the usual prices. 1 ltr containers of Aeroshell sport+ as for filters, i bought a box of 12 from aircraft spruce when i was ordering parts. and when the AUD$ was 1;1 to the US.