LIGHT AIRCRAFT "MISSING" in the sea 3 NM off blackpool

At 0930 GMT yesterday, ( 3rd Dec ) a light aircraft enroute from the Isle of Man to Blackpool airport "disappeared" from radar 3 miles from Blackpool airport. There was ( so far ) no report of any distress call being sent by the commander.

One local radio talk show caller in that locality. . . "suggested" that, since the visibilty over that part of the Irish Sea was relatively poor at the time the aircraft went missing, it was possible that the pilot had become disorientated and cruised into the water, or lost control and crashed into it. . . . It is not known at the moment where on the I.O.M. the flight originated, Ronaldsway Intl,. . or one of a couple of private sites on the Island,. . .Jurby,. . .Andreas. . .

The flight had 1 POB.

Thus far, there has been some wreckage located, no "light aircraft" type,. . .no pilot thus far.

Very little for the speculationalistas to go on at the moment.

Source: BBC local news site - Blackpool, Lancs.

Very Sad. . . . .

>

Rockwell Commander

Obviously updated the news a bit mate,. . .thanks for that,. . .I have not looked for a few hours. . . . .

That really Isn't an average aircraft, so it will be interesting to know what the eff happened,. . . . . unless it was the single Rockwell 117, the one with the cruciform tail. . . there are a few of those on the UKGA register. . . . one pilot was talking about emigrating to Aus and sending it over by freight ( not long ago on this site )

Be interesting to follow this one. . . . I was a little surprised that there was a paucity of info on this incident, since it is a day and a half old news,. . .

We shall see.

Thanks Robbo me old china. . . . .yer bludswerthbottlincobber. . . . .

I have flown that route many dozens of times. . . .hence my interest.

Phil

3 miles. . . .Jeeeze,. . .how unlucky is that ?. . .that's " Final Approach" closeness. . . . .sodding bad fortune for the poor bloke. I've flown into Blackie regularly when the WX was poor,. . .( It is always like that ! ) and you can clearly see the runway lighting from ten miles out. . . .( If it ain't foggy of course. . .) I only landed at Blakpool ( too expensive ) when I really HAD to. . and usually continued back to my own field. . .but I know the route quite well.

I usually prefereed to cut inland to the North of Blackie and then travel down the VFR corridor between Manchester and Liverpool zones. . .easy peasy route from the Island. . . . [ unless I'd filed IFR,. . then I never went anywhere near the place ! ! ! ] but I digress ( so whatz new Phil ? )

No point in speculation. . . we'lll have to wait and see what AAIB come up with.

Never stop digressing, Phil. It makes reading your posts a new adventure every time!

Yes,. . .I mean,. . .NO,. . .er,. . . . .I, er,. . apologise mate,. . .I've recently been diagnosed with vituperative progressive obsessive compulsive digressive subjective argumentative non-objective impulsive explosive digestive discriminatative divisive opinionatative disorder,. . . . . . ALL caused by protractative long term lack of sufficiantative oxygenanatative over a protractive period of time,. . . .( All caused by flying at to high an altitudeative. . .without a sufficient oxygenative breatheative. . .otherwise,. . I cannot imagine the alternative. . . . .)

I just can't help it. . . .I hope you will all be sensitive, and not procrastinationative, nor judgementalative. . . . of this hereditative trait of mine, and be sensitive. . . . .

Thanksative . . . .( And NO. . .in answer to the obvious questionative. . . .I vote Liberal Democrative ) But I guess it's all relative. . . . . .but perhaps if I wrote a funny story,. . .it might be . . .Lucrative . . . ? ? ? I know,. . .I know,. . .I'd have to keep it objective and authoritative. . . .

Phil.

• Haha 2
  • Winner 2

3 miles. . . .Jeeeze,. . .how unlucky is that ?. . .that's " Final Approach" closeness. . . . .sodding bad fortune for the poor bloke. I've flown into Blackie regula.

How`s this for bad fortune???

Years ago, around the end of daylight, a light aircraft was on final, into Cairns airport... For whatever reason, the pilot, Stewart Arthur Smith, 52, of Innisfail, who was a very experienced instructor, decided to go around, instead of landing...He was coming in from the north and the circuit put him over the ocean, off Machans Beach, north of Cairns.

This aircraft was used to ferry Crayfish from Cape York...It would land on the beach at low tide, load up and head back to Cairns... Dean Raymond, worked up on Cape York, he need to get back to Cairns and jumped on the opportunity to take the right hand seat.

The body of the pilot and the aircraft have never been found...Apparently, the aircraft was spotted and located, from the air, but when divers went down, nothing was found....Yet, another mystery!!!!

http://blog-go2.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/qld-one-dead-another-missing-in-plane.html

Frank.

Wasn't there an incident many moons ago in U.S. territory; where a Dak, or similar was on final approach, could have been Fort Lauderdale,. . can't recall exactly. . ..the landing lights were visible from the airfield, then it disappeared without a trace, seawater under the approach was very shallow, . but . . .no wreckage ever found.

But that's probably for a thread entitled Bermuda Triangle, worm holes, time warps and other peculiar related mysteries I guess. . .

Was on a TV prog few yearz back about the "Triangle" aircraft and vessel disappearances. . . including the missing Navy formation. . . . wonder if there's anything on wikiwotsit about it. . . .

The " No $hit Sherlock" award for stating the bleeding obvious this week has to go to the news editor who stated that " The Coastguard have suggested to us that there is a STRONG LIKELIHOOD that this aircraft has ditched into the sea" . . . .

Really ?. . . well, what a surprise,. . .since fuel spillage had been identified on the surface yesterday, and debris has also been found. . . .

I'm not taking the pee out of the coastguard here btw,. . .but the media are priceless. . . .

The only social / aviation media speculation I've read on this so far was some goon who said " Mmmm. . .73 year old bloke,. . .that's well too old to be flying planes isn't it. . . . . ." ( better not tell Bob Hoover that. . . )

Jeeze,. . .that means I have not got much longer now before I'll have to hang up the leather helmet and goggles. . . . .better hurry. . . . .

I have not got much longer now before I'll have to hang up the leather helmet and goggles. . . . .better hurry. . . . .

Phil, at your time of life, shouldn't you be in a nice warm enclosed cockpit - perhaps with a Merino blanket over the knees... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Phil, at your time of life, shouldn't you be in a nice warm enclosed cockpit - perhaps with a Merino blanket over the knees... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Oh yeah funny are us,. . . . .ever tried to buy a Merino Wool ANYTHING in the republic of Englandistan ? ? ? ?

Don't be silly. . . . . . .