Murphy Rebel?

NT5224

Hi folks.

Me again. What do people think of the Murphy Rebel? Its not a type that I had previously heard of, but it seems to tick all the boxes... metal construction, rugged bush design, STOL, good lift capacity.

Also, would I face any particular problems getting somebody to maintain a Rotec radial? They aren't that common and so I'm wondering about parts availability and service costs as compared other engines such as the trusty Rotax.. What is the Rotec reputation like as an aviation engine? For some reason I think radials may be a little more tempremental than more regular engine designs...

Cheers

Alan

I have no experience with them, but it should be fine for parts and service. They are made here in Australia, and given the price of a rotax rebuild, I would be surprised if they were anything as expensive to fix or rebuild.

• Like 1

I have no experience with them, but it should be fine for parts and service. They are made here in Australia, and given the price of a rotax rebuild, I would be surprised if they were anything as expensive to fix or rebuild.

Hi folks.Me again. What do people think of the Murphy Rebel? Its not a type that I had previously heard of, but it seems to tick all the boxes... metal construction, rugged bush design, STOL, good lift capacity.

Also, would I face any particular problems getting somebody to maintain a Rotec radial? They aren't that common and so I'm wondering about parts availability and service costs as compared other engines such as the trusty Rotax.. What is the Rotec reputation like as an aviation engine? For some reason I think radials may be a little more tempremental than more regular engine designs...

Cheers

Alan

Regarding Rotec spares & service costs..... it's aviation, so it costs no matter whether Rotec, Rotax or Lyc/Cont! An example of what to expect - a recent emailed quote from Rotax for a factory zero-hour first rebuild on a timed out R912 80hp was (ca) $15 to $16K. During the same period, a Rotec factory bulk strip, inspection and zero-timed upgrade with mods on a 7 cyl radial cost me 5 grand. Conversely, Bert Flood are super responsive to deal with for queries etc whereas getting answers out of Rotec is like pulling teeth without anesthetic. I'd have that Murphy Rebel in a heartbeat but if I did, the wife would ensure that my heart stopped beating. Good luck with your Xmas shopping. cheers.

• Like 1

The Rebel can take many engines. It's like a mini DH Beaver. You need to fly it under VH to get an appropriate motor in it due to weight considerations in RAAus but there are some with a Rotax 912 100 HP on the register. It would probably look stunning with a radial in it. There are some with Warner Scarabs in them. It's a Murphy Kit all metal. Nev

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I've heard some positive feedback from sources so am moving onto a pre-purchase inspection and hope to view the aircraft myself next week!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Thanks guys,I've heard some positive feedback from sources so am moving onto a pre-purchase inspection and hope to view the aircraft myself next week!

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

I flew Don Matthews' Rotec-engined Rebel 4 weeks ago. Pretty sweet machine in my opinion.

If you're going to Watts to look at BHI, Mullumbimby isn't too far out of your way.

PM me if you want more information

Mike