20.1 Recover from Unusual Attitudes

20.2 Tuck/Tumble Avoidance

20.3 Manage In-Flight Abnormal Situations

Frank.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen many instructors interpret words like that to mean recover at first stall warning in the turn. The new Part 61 MOS doesn't allow any wriggle room - it states "stall under the following conditions ... " with the recovery action specified in a separate paragraph then it goes further with the execution of incipient spins from S&L, climbing and turning. I have spoken to CASA FOI's who haven't yet read the MOS and I know that many instructors haven't either so my guess is that it will take many years for this to sink in.

I'll also hazard a guess that a lot of schools/instructors will never do it - too scary etc.

• Agree 1

It is so non specific it could mean anything including almost nothing. When someone does something and comes unstuck, and isn't that what we are trying to address, how will the section be reviewed? Adequate? No way Jose. Nev

3. STEEP LAZY EIGHTS 3.1 Entry 3.2 Maintenance 3.3 Airmanship

I don`t see anything on Spins,in the Syllabus.

Best way is to NOT suddenly apply full forward stick, full rudder and full aileron with full throttle at the same time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomcovak

Way back when I was instructing, I had a student in the front seat of the Drifter and the lesson was power on and power off stalls! I had him follow through with me then handed over... He got the nose up to the stall but wasn`t lowering it to recover so I said, " Push the stick forward, quickly," he responded quickly and the nose went almost vertical ....I changed my wording, after that.

Frank

• Like 1

In a turn which is where most stall problems that bring you unstuck originate, your safe speed is constantly changing .... Hands up who has ever been tested stalling in a turn. Nev

Hi Nev,

I was taught stalls in climbing turns and with flap out back in the 80s. I was also taught spins, spirals and recovery and unusual attitudes under the hood. I had a damn good instructor.

?.... The new Part 61 MOS doesn't allow any wriggle room - it states "stall under the following conditions ... " with the recovery action specified in a separate paragraph then it goes further with the execution of incipient spins from S&L, climbing and turning....... I'll also hazard a guess that a lot of schools/instructors will never do it - too scary etc.

I spoke to a CFI today from a school which has revised its syllabus to conform to Part 61 - yep, he said that probably quite a few instructors don't do it ....