Vehicle trackers in a plane

Another option is APRS, basically an amateur-built-and-run ADS-B for anything and everything, including cars, boats and aircraft. IT is quite popular in the US with the RV crowd. The hardware is quite cheap and once configured is set-and-forget, but you need your "Standard" amateur radio licence to legally use it.

The downside is it does require ground-stations to relay the data to the internet, but once it is there, anyone, anywhere in the world, can track your movements in near real-time.

I use APRS all the time. My wife keeps an eye on me when I am flying. It has a surprising range especially when flying at height. There is a HF version as well but would require a fixed more elaborate antenna system on the aircraft. The VHF is just a 600 mm long stainless whip.

379483849_ScreenShot2015-12-26at8_35_41AM.jpg.ec5492fc7f19284864c01b4abddbb630.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

This was coming back from Inglewood in winds aloft around 40 knots. Also had a fuel issue which I had to stop at Watts Bridge to rectify . The wife msg me asking why I had landed at Watts as she knew the plan was to come straight home

Well that's how I track my mates and family and friends track me. Can't see how it's irrelevant to tracking discussion.

Sorry, but I couldn't see how the statement "For myself OzRunways works out less expensive than buying ERSA and Maps, also you don't need mobile coverage once you have downloaded required data." I see now that you also use OzRunways for tracking which others have noted uses mobile phone signals for that function.
  • Agree 1

I use Oz Runways which allows my wife to track me.

We also use find my friends on iPhone which allows her and the kids to track me.

We also have find my iphone and find my ipad activated.

All of the above rely on mobile coverage, but will all also give a last known position.

If all else fails, as required I carry an EPIRB as required. Admittedly I need to be capable of activating that if necessary, but to date my wife and I are both quite comfortable with the technology that we use.

As well as all of the above my wife and daughter always get a text before I take off from anywhere with my next location, the route I am taking as well as an SAR time.