Vehicle trackers in a plane

Since I'm about to get a cross country endorsement I'm looking at options of letting people know where I am and where I was.

What I would like is something that reports my position every 5-30 min and uploads it somewhere accessible for other people.

So far I'm looking at getting either a cheap phone and using one of the tracking apps (I haven't looked at specifics yet, but there's plenty of them) or getting a dedicated device that does it.

One thing that would be important for me is that it uploads my position as I go rather than based on a trigger (like sms or something) or upload at the end of activity (like most activity tacking apps do).

There seems to be a lot of dedicated tracking devices on ebay, but most require you to trigger it before it reports back or there are dedicated fleet tracking services, which are a bit over the top for what I would need.

Does anyone have any experience with anything like that?

I use a spot tracker for motorcycling. It is satellite based and requires a subscription so it works where there is not phone reception. I do a lot of back country riding, so its piece of mind for both my wife and I. She can see I am still on the move and not dead, plus when I stop I hit the check in button so she knows I am stopped by choice. The bonus is I also have piece of mind because I can hit the help button and know that my wife can follow up for me. Bit like a Pan Pan style PLB!

Here is a recent trip I did: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=f09f56138b9589779 as you can see I did not turn it on one day (Southern Cross to Cocklebiddy), my wife says its because I went via Kalgoorlie, which I did but only to chase an oil change for the bike!!

For myself OzRunways works out less expensive than buying ERSA and Maps, also you don't need mobile coverage once you have downloaded required data.Check their website.

I don't see how Oz Runways would work once you are out of mobile coverage, Spot uses satellite's and if you get into trouble to can hit the button like a EPIRB to get help.

David

• Agree 1

I have used several different smartphone tracking apps over the years, while flying or riding the bike. As Sav says, OzRunways tracking is great, but I'd like to know if it works via satellite or just mobile towers. If it's limited to phone towers that's not a big problem unless you're really going remote; from flying altitude you're rarely out of range of the Telstra system, and even when you "drop off the radar" for a while the breadcrumbs should make finding you that much easier.

Well that's how I track my mates and family and friends track me. Can't see how it's irrelevant to tracking discussion.

While it is a useful tracking tool once you have crashed or outlanded you disappear from the system whereas a dedicated tracking unit will still have your location. I think for someone doing a bit of traveling a small subscription service would be well worth the money spent so your loved ones can have a fix on your current location whether moving or not.

As a side note I still think it is totally ludicrous that a satellite tracking system isn't mandated for airliners but what would I know I am only a farmer

OzRunways uses GPS satellites for its main nav functions but the cellular network for its Live Traffic function.

Therefore you need a data sim in your iPad to participate.

OzRunways 5 Live Tracking.pdf

• Agree 1

While it is a useful tracking tool once you have crashed or outlanded you disappear from the system whereas a dedicated tracking unit will still have your location. I think for someone doing a bit of traveling a small subscription service would be well worth the money spent so your loved ones can have a fix on your current location whether moving or not.

As a side note I still think it is totally ludicrous that a satellite tracking system isn't mandated for airliners but what would I know I am only a farmer

No arguement about "spot".

One point about "once you crash/outland you disappear off the system" - not quite right, if you go to OzRunways Tx site, select my flights, and type in your OzRunways password, all your flights can be seen - up to your last position. Is reliant on Internet coverage though.

The more secretive you are about our password the less effective it is for friend to keep an eye on you. Same as using codes/other names for your aircraft ID, actual rego works fine but it is an individual thing as some people want to keep their flights secretive - but you can't have it both ways - but the choise is available.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 2

Since I'm about to get a cross country endorsement I'm looking at options of letting people know where I am and where I was.What I would like is something that reports my position every 5-30 min and uploads it somewhere accessible for other people.

So far I'm looking at getting either a cheap phone and using one of the tracking apps (I haven't looked at specifics yet, but there's plenty of them) or getting a dedicated device that does it.

One thing that would be important for me is that it uploads my position as I go rather than based on a trigger (like sms or something) or upload at the end of activity (like most activity tacking apps do).

There seems to be a lot of dedicated tracking devices on ebay, but most require you to trigger it before it reports back or there are dedicated fleet tracking services, which are a bit over the top for what I would need.

Does anyone have any experience with anything like that?

Zibi

Why not do what most others do, file a flight plan, use Oz Runways, set a SAR time and carry an ELB. Unless you are going to the desert or choose to fly at 500 feet your entire trip Oz Runways will breadcrumb your track that others can see, the flight plan and SAR time will alert the authorities if you don't show up.

Aldo

ZibiWhy not do what most others do, file a flight plan, use Oz Runways, set a SAR time and carry an ELB. Unless you are going to the desert or choose to fly at 500 feet your entire trip Oz Runways will breadcrumb your track that others can see, the flight plan and SAR time will alert the authorities if you don't show up.

Aldo

At the moment I don't have a tablet and use a Windows phone, so no OzRunways for me.

I also wasn't aware that they offer such option.

Right now I'm trying to find a best and most cost effective option, so I'll take OzRunways into consideration.

GPS satellites.Like I said before check out their website.

The iPad can only Receive from satellites, it cant transmit to them. So to transmit your location, it does so via cellular network. I posted an article about this recently, your iPad receives the GPS data, then sends it to OzRunways via the cellular network. I am sure that if you are out of range of network, then OzRunways would still cache you track for upload when it gets in range of a phone tower.

SpotTracker actually sends data to a Satellite rather than a phone tower, so as long as it can see the sky (more or less) it can send your location...

Why use it as opposed to OzRunways, flight plan and Sartime? Easy, to reassure family members.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Both use the cellular network to obtain position information, so they can only track live when you have cellular coverage.http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2015/11/tablets-of-wisdom/

Yep. That's true. On the other hand, I have flown all over Oz and there is cell phone coverage over all but the very remote parts of central oz when you are at altitude.

So it depends where you are planning on going as to whether you need to go the extra expense of the things like spot tracker or spidertraks.

• Informative 1

iPads use satellites for their GPS location and the cellular network for reporting that position. You will know where you are but cannot always connect to ozrunways or avplan or other system to report your location.

If it is critical then a satellite based track reporting device would be the better option me thinks.

No arguement about "spot".One point about "once you crash/outland you disappear off the system" - not quite right, if you go to OzRunways Tx site, select my flights, and type in your OzRunways password, all your flights can be seen - up to your last position. Is reliant on Internet coverage though.

The more secretive you are about our password the less effective it is for friend to keep an eye on you. Same as using codes/other names for your aircraft ID, actual rego works fine but it is an individual thing as some people want to keep their flights secretive - but you can't have it both ways - but the choise is available.

Well put Frank, you let your trusted friends know what you call yourself and give them the pass word..

Regards,

KP.