Propeller safety

Guest ozzie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clockwise (from the front,) is the easiest for a right handed person. (English ungeared motors). Whatever the situation the risk is similar. Getting hit by the following blade, or unbalancing, and lurching into the prop arc. You can reduce the force of the start-up by allowing a bit of compression to leak away , and then just propping it a short distance to have the impulse trip. The speed of rotation of the engine doesn't affect the impulse action and you get the same fat spark whatever speed you crank/prop at. Nev

Saw this online, he's a very lucky man.... Always good to clear the cockpit first, that is, all switches off especially the magnetos, and battery off before checking the oil.http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2014/03/properly-clear-of-the-prop/

There's something odd about that video, there's a person standing behind the right wing. He doesn't react at all to the engine firing and there's no acknowledgement between him and the pilot when the pilot goes to the cockpit. There also seems to be someone in the pilot seat?

There's something odd about that video, there's a person standing behind the right wing. He doesn't react at all to the engine firing and there's no acknowledgement between him and the pilot when the pilot goes to the cockpit. There also seems to be someone in the pilot seat?

That person appears to be the passenger, maybe he's not an aviator and aware that something is terribly wrong. No sign that I can see that anyone is in the Pilot seat. Still, fake or not, it shows the importance of properly making sure the plane is in a safe state before getting near a prop.
  • Helpful 1

I wouldn't like to hand prop my Lycoming. The way th prop is mounted it fires at the 5 o'clock or 11 o'clock position and I don't think I can move it because of the dowels. Definitely not a good position to start. I have hand propped Cessnas and even the odd rotax 503, but now I rely on a good battery.

If you know where it fires you can bleed most of the compression away till you at about 15 degrees before the firing point and then just push it past where the impulse fires from whichever side you prefer. With a tailwheel I would still prefer the front. Have you a priming pump? If it goes to all cylinders it makes starting really easy. Nev

• Winner 1

Regarding photos around propellers. Is this a bad safety example or just a great photo? (The newest Red Bull pilot)

My opinion: Great photo. No need for a conniption over it.

As I said earlier on the topic, it's about risk mitigation and common sense. Cold engine, controlled conditions, no one is turning it through, cockpit switch positions are (we could most likely assume) known, and there's a specific purpose to being in that position on this occasion, rather than it being a habit. Risk = negligible.

image.jpg.934f562d1b1308b521ae5200e583e654.jpg

• Agree 2

Regarding photos around propellers. Is this a bad safety example or just a great photo? (The newest Red Bull pilot)My opinion: Great photo. No need for a conniption over it.

As I said earlier on the topic, it's about risk mitigation and common sense. Cold engine, controlled conditions, no one is turning it through, cockpit switch positions are (we could most likely assume) known, and there's a specific purpose to being in that position on this occasion, rather than it being a habit. Risk = negligible.

[ATTACH=full]40712[/ATTACH]

I agree with facthunter, it sets an example for those not educated about prop's. I'd bet good money that you've had to ask parents to stop their children from playing with the prop on your model 12 at air shows/Flyinns where they have airside access.

• Like 1

The way thing are going airside access will be out anyhow. It will all be roped off. Nev

A real shame we can't do like the USA at air shows like Oshkosh - no barriers at all.

The local WHS zealots will ensure we don't do that here, it's only a matter of time before attendees will be required to wear highvis vests, steel capped thongs and hearing protection!

• Like 2

I disagree. Those involved with aircraft who are not educated on props should be educated on them by their instructors/supervisors, or they are not doing their job.

A person of normal intelligence, especially who has been given adequate guidance and instruction, should be able to distinguish between an orchestrated and posed photo, and normal everyday propeller safety.

A layperson who has not received this guidance and knows little about aeroplanes should not be wandering around them unsupervised or again, someone is not doing their job.

I see no safety issue here. It's just a photo. I don't expect it will create a rush to lean on propellers on tarmacs everywhere.

image.jpeg.07547b7ac28d19708675c2ec10c87b20.jpeg 50+ Pitts at Oshkosh last year in amongst the general public area - the area was packed especially on the Saturday and I didn't see anyone touching an aeroplane but many sitting very close in what little shade a Pitts provides.
  • Like 1

Yeah I'd hope owners (or delegates) were there to keep a watch. You'd be mad to leave your plane totally unattended while the general public run around everywhere. I've seen them try to do all sorts of stupid things at Sun n Fun, including the traditional "I wonder if my finger will poke through this fabric?" test, and large people trying to sit on wheel spats (before being yelled at)!

There is a certain mentality of look but do not touch at Oshkosh. It is like the unfenced flight line. No one crosses that line. Maybe it is because 99% are aviation bred and know right from wrong or maybe it is just an EAA thing. Over here it seems to be push poke and pull and if cross that line I'll shoot you.

And yes it is a nice photo but promotes wrong practice. Good looking blonds should be draped along the wing. You can take all the precautions with a gun but how many shoot themselves or others with an empty mag but forgot about the one up the spout.

I remember rolling up at Corowa a day early for a skydive boogie and Uncle Toby's Citation was parked on the edge of the hardstand. Laying on the wing was a stunning blonde sun baking. Turned out she was the pilot.

A real shame we can't do like the USA at air shows like Oshkosh - no barriers at all.The local WHS zealots will ensure we don't do that here, it's only a matter of time before attendees will be required to wear highvis vests, steel capped thongs and hearing protection!

I don't fly anymore but I still don these items when my wife is about to get cross with me.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Alan.

• Agree 1