RPL

rhtrudder

I guess this question has been asked before , anyway thinking of converting over to the rpl would that allow me to fly in controlled in a 24 rego providing I fit a transponder and does it require a certified radio and altimeter also does it require 100 hour services if so I probably won't go ahead

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this question has been asked before , anyway thinking of converting over to the rpl would that allow me to fly in controlled in a 24 rego providing I fit a transponder and does it require a certified radio and altimeter also does it require 100 hour services if so I probably won't go ahead

I don't think you can fly a RAA aircraft on an rpl?

Controlled is an extra endorsement onto the RPL and does not come standard with the RPL and you will need to sit the radio and english exam.

Need more info, are you coming from gfpt to rpl or rpc to rpl?

RPL still can't fly a RA-AUS registered aircraft in controlled airspace, the CAO doesn't permit it and neither does the Ops Manual.

The exam is nothing major, the english language assessment is easy and the radio exam is pretty basic but you need to do it and the language assessment to be issued the flight radio approval.

As part of the flight review you will basically do everything in your gfpt, take off charts, aircraft paper exam, instrument, forced landings etc etc.

If you have a valid RAA certificate and a current RPL with CTA endorsement, you can fly an RAAus 24 reg aircraft into CTA (CAO 95.55 para 7.3.d) provided the altimeter and transponder have been checked within limits in the past 12 months as per the RAAus Tech Manual. Don't quite understand the question about a 100 hr service. Any aircraft must always have a current annual or 100 hr service.

• Agree 2

RPL still can't fly a RA-AUS registered aircraft in controlled airspace, the CAO doesn't permit it and neither does the Ops Manual.

I don't quite know where you got that from Robbo. See the reference in my post above. If you have a reference to the contrary let us know. I'm assuming the pilot will have an RPC as well as an RPL.

I don't quite know where you got that from Robbo. See the reference in my post above. If you have a reference to the contrary let us know

I am going by a post on the below link.

I am confused as I am not sure if he is coming from gfpt to rpl or rpc to rpl.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/raaus-to-rpl-conversion.124449/

Arrrr RAA is not my area of expertise.

So as I read down on the above link it appears that reg has been amended.

Apologies for being incorrect, but poster please tell us what licences you currently hold until then I won't comment.

Sorry for the confusion , only hold a Raa , had a bit of time to waste so dropped into the local strip and the way it was explained it all seemed pretty easy but you are probably right , may only apply to GA

Sorry for the confusion , only hold a Raa , had a bit of time to waste so dropped into the local strip and the way it was explained it all seemed pretty easy but you are probably right , may only apply to GA

As an RAAus member, you should make use of our very competent Operations team in Canberra. Phone them and get it from the horses mouth. happy days,

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Also remember if you want to carry more than one passenger you need a class 2 medical.

You need a class two medical to fly in controlled airspace, regardless of passengers. This also applies to RAAUS students flying solo in controlled airspace with a flying school with a CASA exemption (interestingly, once this student passes her flight test she would no longer be allowed to fly to the same airfield before getting a RPL + endo).

• Agree 1

Hi, i fly 24 aircraft out of ypjt.. With rpl class two med and and raa pilot certificate, i do have transponda fitted and checked but from what i understand you do not need a transponda only a radio... for ctr..

Negative

You are right, you don't need a class 2; however you do need to have a medical certificate: To exercise the privileges of your RPL (such as flying in controlled airspace) you need at least a recreational aviation medical certificate (RAMPC), which can be issued by your GP rather than a DAME. Flying on a RPC you only need to self-declare that you are fit enough to hold a drivers licence.

My confusion came from the fact that I know some RAAus students have to fly before opening of the tower because they don't hold a medical certificate (but thus not nessecarily a class 2, a RAMPC would have done).

I learned to fly in GA and had to get a class two before I could fly solo, as the RAMPC didn't exist yet. I guess this is yet another way in which flying RAAus is cheaper.

From RAAus:

Q. Are the medical requirements different?

Yes that's right. With an RPC issued by RA-Aus. you only need to self-certify and declare you maintain a medical standard equivalent to that required to drive a motor vehicle.

From the CASA website:

Q. If I have a Recreational Aviation Medical Practitioner's Certificate, can I fly in controlled airspace?

Yes. You can fly in Class C or D airspace as long as you are qualified to do so, and your aircraft is suitably equipped and maintained.

• Agree 1

Hi, i fly 24 aircraft out of ypjt.. With rpl class two med and and raa pilot certificate, i do have transponda fitted and checked but from what i understand you do not need a transponda only a radio... for ctr..

You can ask for an exemption to fly into CTA without a transponder, but they won't do it on a regular basis. Generally, no transponder, no entry to CTA.

• Caution 1

Where do you get this opinion from, some but not all?

I got a one off exemption to fly into a class D airport without a transponder. Permission was organized beforehand. I have also been refused entry into controlled airspace because my transponder was unserviceable.

I got a one off exemption to fly into a class D airport without a transponder. Permission was organized beforehand. I have also been refused entry into controlled airspace because my transponder was unserviceable.

If you are happy with that all's good, depending on actual details I wouldn't accept that. But if you are happy with the stated outcome then let's just leave it at that.

If you are happy with that all's good, depending on actual details I wouldn't accept that. But if you are happy with the stated outcome then let's just leave it at that.

I don't quite know what you are on about. Have a read of AIP ENR 1.5 Para 6.2.2 © for operating in controlled airspace without a transponder. The general requirement is to have a transponder but exemptions can be authorized. If I am wrong please quote your reference.