RV4 Canopy Builders?

Hi guys

Have owned my RV4 for a little while now and I need a new canopy, the one I have has been cracked and is in no way airworthy.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any canopy builders in Australia who have built RV4 canopies before, or of any owners who have recently replaced their canopies who might be able to point me in the right direction, as the shipping costs ex USA are astronomical right now.

Cheers!!

Adam

but freight is all somewhere between 1700-1900 bucks.

I can get a 20ft container from the States for that price and last week sent a 40ft container to China for less, something is seriously wrong.

How much did the canopy cost btw?

Currently I'm in Manjimup, WA, But ill just be getting it freighted into Perth.

Those prices are air freight Bexrbetter, but I said the same thing ti the fedex guy. Even the ocean freight was close to $1000. Crazy prices.

• Like 1

Try

Aviation Acrylic Mouldings Pty Ltd in Adelaide. 08 8251 3780 or 0414 251 378

Ian Linke makes a variety of canopies for gliders. He might be able to help.

If he hasn't made an RV canopy before, he might need your old canopy to make a template for the new one.

Robert

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Just as a reference I paid about $1200 AUD to have a RV-12 firewall forward (including engine and prop) and avionics kit shipped to Sydney from the USA by Airfreight about 8 months ago. This price included the customs brokerage fee(but not the GST). It was a lot more than volume and weigh than a canopy. Vans organised the quotes for the shipping and these were a lot less than I was able to get myself direct from a freight company. For things of this size avoid the courier companies like fedex.

Cheers Robert!

I left that bit out last night when I wrote this post, I was obviously up past my bed time. I've spoken with Ian and he had told me he can blow me a canopy but not for 6 or 8 weeks. I was just being impatient and looking for a quicker way of there was one. Cheers though, I will probably end up using Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...