EGT Probe

When inserting the egt probe into the exhaust manifold does the tip of the probe sit in the centre of the manifold or until it bottoms out, I always thought the tip always went into the centre of the manifold otherwise the egt guage would get hotter than it should if it bottomed out.

i always have a small gap from the tip to the other side wall of the manifold, the metal will change temp a lot slower than the exhaust gas itself so you want an accurate as possible reading from the air was as it passes the tip. Just my 2cents worth.

• Agree 1

the repairer of my aircraft did not have the tip in the exhaust gas at all

as his explanation was the probe will get to hot there is no reason to have the probe in the exhaust gas

what in the hell is it for neil

yeh guys its bloody funny now:angry:068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif if it was not so bloody serious insert probe to full depth with draw 6 mil tighten to firm DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN with 12 inch shifter that what was used in my plane by lame L2:censored: neil

The probe should be to the halfway of the pipe, so pack it out with a sleeve if its going too far, the small dia. exhausts we use sometimes need weldments fitted to do this. An over large probe will do more harm than good obstructing the flow and burning up before its time

I hope you have 2 probes for a 582 i use just 1 for the Jabiru but its only for verifying the carb operating conditions

thinking back this probe placement stuff is a black art my LAME decided to install my 1 (FAA PMA approved) probe on the C150 after the 'Y' on one side of the engine - against the instruments documentation - saying it was better to watch 2 pots rather than the one specified. The application is slightly different because its not reading an absolute temperature - just the drop in EGT for leaning purposes

That's a really interesting and informative article Garfly, and makes a lot of logical sense, but it still bugs me that my #5 EGT is 50 C hotter than the others. It shouldn't because there's not much I can do about it.

Peter

It would be nice to have a Cessna T310R and all them exhaust valves that Mike talks about oh but hang on, I've only got a drifter with no exhaust valves, I was always told that TWO STROKES rely heavily on egt readings.... wish I had a four stroke all them exhaust valves

• 5 weeks later...

Its really good. Now I know I can safely throw out two EGT gauges to save a few ounces for my "wing-loading predicament", along with that five point safety harness,

Plus my left leg, Means right hand circuits only, LoL

spacesailor