Anyone been down to Apollo Bay recently?

BlurE

Just wondering if anyone has some recent information on Apollo Bay/Marengo YAPO?

I assume anyone in the area would be on Peterborough CTAF 127.1

Google earth makes it look like it has a reasonable gradient up away from the water. It this correct?

I found the post below which as some good info. Any other tips appreciated.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/nearest-strip-to-lorne-vic.9748/#post-96557

There's one at Apollo Bay that I have flown into once or twice. The strip runs at right angles to the coast, pointing at the hills in one direction and the sea in the other, so beware the rotor off the hills if the upper wind is offshore...its HUGE. I didn't know about it. It was a very hot turbulent day, I was in my syndicate owned Cherokee 140, my wife was very anxious for a break and we had our 3 month old daughter Sarah on board too .. luckily in a cradle and strapped in ..... I noticed that the boats in the harbour all indicated an onshore wind and flew my circuit at normal height ... just below the ridge level!! ... STUPID. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif I thought the wings might fall off, my wife was crying and I kept hitting my head on the roof. The airspeed indicator was flicking from something below? stall to close to Vne with no change in attitude ...... Then miraculously at about 400 ft everything smoothed out and we made a normal touchdown .....

Also there is a ravine that you cross at the threshold when landing towards the sea, an interesting visual just before touchdown .....

At the time there was no one to ring to tell you about all this, you just flew in and put your landing fee in the honesty box before you walked down to the harbour to buy your fresh seafood!! If there is a number to call, I recomend a conversation with a local, but the strip is actually fairly straight forward if a little different.

Just wondering if anyone has some recent information on Apollo Bay/Marengo YAPO?I assume anyone in the area would be on Peterborough CTAF 127.1

Google earth makes it look like it has a reasonable gradient up away from the water. It this correct?

I found the post below which as some good info. Any other tips appreciated.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/nearest-strip-to-lorne-vic.9748/#post-96557

Hi BlurE, I landed there about 18 months ago. For information ring (03) 52329506 which is a recorded information service. The CTAF frequency is 126.7 (but do check this). Let me know if you have any questions, I do have some video somewhere of my landing which could be of interest to you.

Hi BlurE,

I've been into Apollo Bay a few times in the past, checking ERSA just now has revealed it does not have an entry anymore but I found an entry in an old National Airfield Directory It is classified as an ALA. You have to approach the runway from the ocean (270') and depart on (090,) over the ocean from memory otherwise you have a really steep climb out to get over the mountains to the west. (The Otways). The strip does have a gradient towards the west - 20 ft if memory serves.

It is a interesting and novel approach and departure from YAPO but easily do-able - join down wind by heading out over the beach to the sea and make a standard left hand approach to base and final There is a tourist operator located at the Airfield who does joy flights along the coast.

A few points from the National Airfield Directory -

Prior permission required - Operator Colac Otway Shire ph 03 52 329400.

Strip length 760 metres. Direction 09/27.

Surface Grass and gravel.

CTAF Freq 126.7 (Multi Comm.)

Special Proceedures - High ground at W end. Consider one way unless wind dictates. Power line on approach from E. Wind sock N side E end.

Hope this helps.

Hi BlurE

Here is my vid of landing and take off from Apollo Bay. Not sure if the following is helpful or not and please note I am not an instructor, but here are a few points.

The runway at Apollo bay is sealed but quite narrow. On this day I landed downwind (4 to 5 knots) uphill. I personally would not be comfortable landing downhill.

Thanks Octave - looks like fun.

I wend down there last night but didn't hang around and didn't land on this occasion. The Cloud was starting to thicken and drop over the ranges and I got squeezed down more than I liked. Still above my LSALT, but would have certainly put me in the trees if the fan stopped. Additionally was becoming a bit concerned about remaining daylight also due to the cloud.

I had a good look at the strip but had trouble gauging how steep it was. The information phone line does recommend a precautionary search. Not sure about wind a ground level, but it was a pretty strong at 2000ft. (I had had 45-60kn from the East) I think it would have been a down hill/ into wind or nothing.

Decided to play it safe and came straight home via Anglesea where the cloud-to-hill gap was much bigger. Wye River looks pretty sad from the air.

Thanks Octave - looks like fun.I wend down there last night but didn't hang around and didn't land on this occasion. The Cloud was starting to thicken and drop over the ranges and I got squeezed down more than I liked. Still above my LSALT, but would have certainly put me in the trees if the fan stopped. Additionally was becoming a bit concerned about remaining daylight also due to the cloud.

I had a good look at the strip but had trouble gauging how steep it was. The information phone line does recommend a precautionary search. Not sure about wind a ground level, but it was a pretty strong at 2000ft. (I had had 45-60kn from the East) I think it would have been a down hill/ into wind or nothing.

Decided to play it safe and came straight home via Anglesea where the cloud-to-hill gap was much bigger. Wye River looks pretty sad from the air.

Good call BlurE, the second time I went there I decided not to land, it is a strip that I consider (for my level of skill at least) requires great care.

Apollo Bay.

Always an interesting land up the hill. Beware of the narrow strip. Already a Cessna 182RG ended up in a ditch there and overturned.

The take-off - I always make a RIGHT hand turn after take-off. First I announce on the radio that I intend to make a right turn.

The reason is that a left turn after T/O puts you well off-shore. An engine failure there and no life jackets being worn will leave you with more

problems than you can dream about.

The RIGHT hand turn and an engine failure will allow you to put down on or close to the beach line.

Sometime you have to make a command decision that is common sense. In this case a RIGHT turn (that is allowed) but make sure that you make that radio call first.

Now I await the negative comment.

R16.

• Agree 1