Royal Queensland Aero Club in voluntary administration

aplund

I'd be happier if the bris Flying group accepted a RPL :( I just havnt had the time to upgrade to PPL yet.

They've been around a long time and they are probably enjoying fairly low insurance premiums. so to change their minimum requirements would prove expensive.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AAA only had one glass cockpit C172, iirc. They charged even more for that one. I have been paying $414/hour (dual, $304/hour solo) and $109/hour for briefings + landing fees + all my own equipment for the entirety of my PPL until now. All on basic 6 pack C172R.Seems I may be on the lookout for a new flying school in Brisbane to complete my PPL. Any suggestions? (I absolutely must have it done by August. I was hoping for end of April, but I don't think that's a possibility now).

Have a look at Rocky Aero Club. Great facilities, big fat empty strip, empty skies and easy travelling up from Brissy!

Well, I'm planning on continuing with Southern Skies. With only half my log book entries signed off on, this constitutes a problem. I rang the AAA operations number on Tuesday asking for my record. I also sent an email to AAA and the administrators. If I understand CASR 141.280 correctly, they have seven days to send the record. Presumably this still applies in this situation. We will see.

Hi Aplund,Can you please let us know how you go with the training records?

I'm in the same boat and haven't heard back from them about my training records either.

Well, it was not pretty, but effective. I called, emailed and generally just wouldn't go away. They told me that the administrators would be on site today. I couldn't make it so I asked someone from sthn skies to go there. He "played bad cop" and ended up walking out with a printout of my entire training history. Perhaps my harassing to get it done will help others as they have now gone through the process, then again, maybe not.

The primary goal of what they do is to recovery enough money to pay creditors. Knowing and acting in accordance with the CASR is not on their to do list.

All I can suggest is to get on the phone. They answered the operations phone when I called it. Figure out when they are on site, then go there and don't leave until you have what you need.

• Winner 1

Nah, primary goal of an administrator is to pay themselves, creditors get the crumbs.

Get whatever is owed to you out of there fast. If you wait,you lose.

Vast majority of administrators liquidate the business rather than revive them.

• Agree 3

The main thing that you should remember is that your training records belong to YOU. they do not belong to the flying organisation nor the creditors. Training records have no monetary value (unless of course you owe them money and can be a bargaining chip of sorts). do what Aplund has done and be a pain in the A>?{ and get whatever flying school you decide on to use whatever persuasion methods to help secure them..

It's illegal to trade while insolvent. AS to why they are in that state, who knows? It's typical of many organisations in GA today unfortunately. When I was a Teacher, my wages would purchase just over 2 hours flying per week so the $400 is still cheaper than then. Flying generally is not a cheap activity. RAAus provides the prospect of a cheaper path so keep working on it folks. Nev

I agree. Many people lose sight of relativity. Flying has always been an expensive business and flight training (which includes aircraft and instructor time) especially so.

There are three certainties in life:

1. Death.

2. Taxes

3. Flight training is expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
4 of them, no less, and a citabria and a tecnam P2006!

Th citabria is owned by a qantas captain who lent it to the airline academy for recovery and high-G training apparently

Seems there is a deed of company arrangement on the table which includes the planes and would cover more of the creditors money than any other option. So it looks like there won't be any aircraft fire sale, unless the creditors reject the deed. Another interesting part of the agreement is that it will "reinvigorate" the club.

• Like 1

I work just around the corner from Archerfield. I sometimes have lunch at the old terminal, i like to sit on those old couches. and watch the world go by. i noticed that it was very quiet airside. at this time i was not aware that the club had shut down. when i drove past on the way back to work. I saw what was going on at the club. i worked for the refueler who had the contract with the club but lucky for me i left a few years ago. but i feel for all the guys and girls who will lose their jobs because of this.

I think i only saw two aircraft on there line. which is a surprise as most days they were two deep.

I can't believe people are paying $414 per hour for a C172 and $109 per hour for briefings. Large flying schools operating from Class D airports these days are just ripping students off. They have all moved to operating C172's ( most with glass) for basic training, when all you need is a 2 seater with a basic six pack.Even if you want to fly a C172 there are smaller schools operating from non class D airports where you we pay around $350 per hour for one. As for paying $109 briefing, back when I learnt to fly briefings were free and eventually when I become an instructor the school I worked for never charged for briefings, it was all part of the service of teaching someone to fly.

With regard to the Royal Qld/AAA, look how much they have diverted away from just being a flying school. They have started flight attendant tand aircraft engineering training (trying to compete with Aviation Auatralia). Their rates were also the highest on the airport and were geared for those seeking a CPL via VET-Fee and not for the average Joe who just want's to get a PPL (what Aero Clubs were set up for).

Look back at all the flying schools that have closed in Australia over the last 20-30 years. Majority of them have been large schools (Royal Aero Club of NSW,Navair, AFTS, Axis, Aerospace, Airtex, FTA etc) that got greedy and and sold the 'you will be an airline pilot in 2 years' product, with all their students walking around in uniforms. Whilst the smaller schools (ie C and H, Witworths at Bankstown, Gill Lyatts at Archerfield etc) are still here.

I refueled Gill Lyatts aircraft a few time and they look very well worn. But they must be doing something right.

Ok so apund have you move to a new flying school? They had two slings online there. I am sure they will be snapped up by RAA schools.

If the deed goes through, then they will all belong to the new financier. I've had two flights now at another school at YBAF. Hoping for minimal disruption.