Query on RAAus requirement to calibrate instruments

kasper

From the RAAus website

Do I need to calibrate my instruments?

Yes, altimeters and air speed indicators must be calibrated at least every 2 years and if entering controlled airspace every 12 months.

I am looking for where this requirement is sourced ... its not from the RAAus Tech manual and it can't be CAO100.5 so I am looking for the source so that I can determine who/how it can be done under the requirements?

Not just a theoretic question of where is a requirement sourced - I use a wrist altimeter in one of my planes as it has no instruments at all - just an ignition switch so the wrist altimeter is my only instrument.

CAO 100.5 says what needs to be tested, when and how and how, not "if". Specific exemptions for registered aircraft will come under their relevant CAO. For example 95.10 aircraft MAY BE exempt from CAR 5 ... depending on the type of operation. Basically for 95.10 if you are more than 500 feet above your own land or over someone else's at any height and the aircraft is registered, the aircraft isn't exempt, the altimeter needs to be present and functioning accurately.

CAO 100. 5 Section 4.2

Subject to subclause 4.3, the pressure altimeters installed in an aircraft must be tested in accordance with:  

(a) each of the testing procedures set out in clause 2 of Attachment 1 to this Appendix; or

(b) each of the applicable testing procedures of a recognised foreign national airworthiness authority (NAA) listed in regulation 21.012 of CASR 1998 that is the NAA of the state of design for the aircraft.

CAO 100.5 Section 4.4

The pressure altimeter tests mentioned in subclause 4.2 must be carried out at intervals not exceeding every 24 months. 

Note 1 Test errors must not exceed those specified for pressure altimeters in Attachment 1 to this Appendix.

Note 2 Appropriate test equipment may allow pressure altimeter tests to be carried out either while the altimeter is installed on the aircraft, or in a workshop.

4.5 Any air data computer installed in an aircraft must be tested in accordance with the manufacturer’s maintenance manual.

Note Electronic displays do not require testing.

CAO 20.18 says what instruments are required to operate under VFR. Aircraft registered under RA-Aus come under section 3.4 of this CAO. So firstly if your RA-Aus registered aircraft has no air speed indicator (original question was about altimeter) as required under Appendix I of the order, that would be a problem. If it was a hang glider it will most likely be operated inside a Danger "D" area and not be registered. CAR 5 section 3 part 2.3 says the air static systems is to be inspected (not calibrated) ANNUALLY for private CERTIFICATED aircraft.

CAR 5 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/sch5.html

CAO 100.5 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2016C00070

CAO 20.18 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2015C00342

AC 21-40(0) https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/021/021c40.pdf

If you think that was heavy going, wait till Part 91 MOS gets its nose under the tent. All the tolerances are different in that proposal to bring them in to line with the FAA document of the same name. Part 91 is the FAA regulation for private operations below 5700 Kgs and 6 occupants or fewer not including aircrew.

Thanks. Missed that in the tech manual and that applies to my aircraft ...

Though how the hell you are supposed to get less than 4knts difference between ASI and GPS runs when pitot error between stall and max will vary by much more than that at various speeds ... I guess I just find the speed that suits for the aircraft with ASI

CAO100.5 in para 1 sets out application - in total it only applies an aircraft where "an Australian certificate of airworthiness is in force" ... no RAA aircraft I have has a certificate of airworthiness so I am comfortable that I am not under that without having to go to CAR5.

CAO20.18 only applies to "This Order applies to all Australian registered aircraft." ... last time I walked through the CAR's and the act I worked out that aircraft operating under exemption CAOs 95.10, 95.32 and 95.55 are Aircraft but are not Registered for the purposes of the Act and CAOs as the registration sections are part of the listed exemptions we operate under ... so whilst I would want to walk back through the CAO95.10 exemptions to be 100% I am fairly comfy that my 95.10 and 95.32 aircraft are not subject to CAO20.18 on minimum instrumentation.

I will ask the Tech office how to calibrate my wrist altimeter ... or I will just fly that aircraft well outside any control steps ... I can judge the height to within 500ft when i am only flying at 1-2,000 ft

Cheers

CAO 95.55 says ... (Blah blah blah) Exempt from CAR 5 ... But subject to the RA-Aus Tech manual which has its own requirements many of which are also in CAR 5.

95.10 paragraph 5 (f) says it is ultimately up to RA-Aus or HGFA operations manual to state the maintenance standards.

A wrist altimeter needs to be off your arm for 20 minutes before it becomes accurate because of the temperature compensation. A skydiving altimeter doesn't have the graduation (in my opinion) to be useful.

Ultimately if it's only one guy in a home built flying below 5000 feet MSL, even if the pilot knew his or her altitude accurately it won't make a difference because she is not technically in cruise flight, less than 25Nm from the starting point of her flight.

Flying an accurate 500 foot circuit at someone else's airfield more than 25 Nm away from the start of my flight with other aircraft in the pattern ... Hmm

CAO 95.55 says ... (Blah blah blah) Exempt from CAR 5 ... But subject to the RA-Aus Tech manual which has its own requirements many of which are also in CAR 5.95.10 paragraph 5 (f) says it is ultimately up to RA-Aus or HGFA operations manual to state the maintenance standards.

A wrist altimeter needs to be off your arm for 20 minutes before it becomes accurate because of the temperature compensation. A skydiving altimeter doesn't have the graduation (in my opinion) to be useful.

Ultimately if it's only one guy in a home built flying below 5000 feet MSL, even if the pilot knew his or her altitude accurately it won't make a difference because she is not technically in cruise flight, less than 25Nm from the starting point of her flight.

Flying an accurate 500 foot circuit at someone else's airfield more than 25 Nm away from the start of my flight with other aircraft in the pattern ... Hmm

Not sure why the CAOs I am subject to are Blah Blah blah when you want to talk about CAR5 which does not apply but whatever floats your boat.

Wrist altimeter is variable to temp as are fixed one and I use a digital one worn over my Ozzee flight suit so it is not really subject to body heat variation ... and I am comfy with it as I have flown it in my ASI fitted aircraft (tested) and its within 50ft from sea level to 5000 (highest I flew in France and UK) so I am happy to use it to fly here at 3000 take off to 1500 AGL which puts me below the 5000 with safe margin where i would need a radio.

as for going 25nm from home thats nothing to do with instruments and given I know my wrist alimeter is accurate to at least as good as most fitted ali I am comfy flying around the country as well ... plus I do have a 4 inch full colour moving map GPS strapped to my right leg and a hand held radio with interface and fitted hedset in the helmet strapped to my left ... my plane has no instruments but I do ;-)

So if you know it's accurate why are you consulting with the RA-Aus tech manager to determine a possible requirement to prove the instrument is accurate every two years?

Also if it is not an instrument fitted to the aircraft it can't be regulated as it if was.

So the quick and dirty answer is "if the aircraft was built from a kit and the kit documentation says an instrument is part of the submitted design then the instrument is required and regulated".

If the design and documentation don't specify instruments or specify no instruments, which does happen, then the exemption from minimum flight instruments is applicable.

Please let us know what binding authoritative response you get, if any.

From the RAAus websiteDo I need to calibrate my instruments?

Yes, altimeters and air speed indicators must be calibrated at least every 2 years and if entering controlled airspace every 12 months.

I am looking for where this requirement is sourced ... its not from the RAAus Tech manual and it can't be CAO100.5 so I am looking for the source so that I can determine who/how it can be done under the requirements?

Not just a theoretic question of where is a requirement sourced - I use a wrist altimeter in one of my planes as it has no instruments at all - just an ignition switch so the wrist altimeter is my only instrument.

I am getting the ASI, Altimeter and transponder calibrated tomorrow, one of the instructors was flying my SportStar and he got Brisbane Centre to check his height and they reported that he was at 2800ft and the aircrafts altimeter was reading 2500ft, hence we are getting them all checked tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see how they all read, I have always felt the ASI was reading slow but that may be just me wanting to go faster...I guess I will find out tomorrow..

David

So the quick and dirty answer is "if the aircraft was built from a kit and the kit documentation says an instrument is part of the submitted design then the instrument is required and regulated".If the design and documentation don't specify instruments or specify no instruments, which does happen, then the exemption from minimum flight instruments is applicable.

Please let us know what binding authoritative response you get, if any.

I'll let you know the outcome from RAAus Tech on the wrist altimeter (it is sometime fitted - I put velcro loop on the back and there is a patch of hook on the 'panel' I can use - hence the question.

As for design docs etc you mention they have nothing to do with kit aircraft as the design authority for RAAus for all 95.10, 95.32 and 95.55 homebuilt (plans, parts or kits) is the builder and whatever they choose to put in is the design fit ... and if they decide to take it out thats a design decision that even the RAAus TEch can't challenge ... the 'designer' in law for RAAus registered airframes is the builder/owner and not the person who produced the kit or plans ... even the MTOW is as specified on the paperwork and not the limit the person who sold the plans or kit says ... so long as its self self certified to stall at the MTOW on the paperwork it is the MTOW.

I noted from your profile you list aircraft as anything you can hire ... RAAus hire aircraft came out of factories and have specified fit of instruments etc, if it did not come out of a factory then all bets are off.

Totally agree with all that. Hence the statement about the design (yours) specifying no instruments or not specifying anything in particular.

Velcro doesn't count as an installation. Neither does getting ships power from a cigar lighter socket. So that should be an easy one for the tech manager

Totally agree with all that. Hence the statement about the design (yours) specifying no instruments or not specifying anything in particular.Velcro doesn't count as an installation. Neither does getting ships power from a cigar lighter socket. So that should be an easy one for the tech manager

and if I am the designer the tech manager cant say velcro is not installation - its for me to say. same as he can't say a thing about me putting any one of three different wings on the same trike and its still the same aircraft.

• Informative 1

Why ask centre to confirm your altitude? That gives them something to think about. Not good. Keep quiet, check the altimeter and ASI with a manometer if you have doubts about their accuracy. Ask around if you don't know how, but don't talk to the powers that be.

One of he pre-solo gliding tests was to fly with the ASI and altimeter covered up. This is easier to do when the student sits in front of the instructor who does not have his instruments covered.

Most students were surprised at how well they went.

And has anybody calibrated their ASI with a water manometer? Surely I won't be the first.