Your 2 cents appreciated...

food for thought...thinking of buying a plane...

I live close to bankstown, camden, the oaks and wedderburn airfields;

Bankstown\Camden - Can fly out using my GFPT and I'm assumin aircraft hangarage is scarce

The Oaks - Private Airfield and no longer accepts aircraft hangerage

Wedderburn - need to be a member and unsure of the hangerage costs.

This leaves me to think to purchase a plane with foldable wings or detachable wings and trailer it from home.

Options:

Aeropup - 2 seat, tail dragging, fabric covered aircraft.

Onex - single seat tail/tri gear all alloy aircraft folding wing.

Saphire - single seat, tail dragger detachable wings.

not much of a choice I know....

perhaps just get a mosquito helicopter.

I rarely fly with a passenger these days. But I love taking my kids along. Yes its 's' = kids which will force me to

at the very least use my gfpt/rpl if I want to take both of them.

buy a 2 seater, hire a a 4 seater if both kids want to come. :)

you will have to change over to a RAA Pilot cert to fly some of the above aircraft and also you will need a class 2 medical. i have no idea of camden tower hours but if the tower is not open at camden you don't need a medical. but at bankstown you will need one.

Camden hours 0800 - 1600 every day.

I think the Aeropup would be a good choice. With folding wings you might even be able to strike a deal for hangar space. Failing that, folf it up. Drag it onto a trailer and then park the trailer in the carpark.

OME

• Like 1

food for thought...thinking of buying a plane...I live close to bankstown, camden, the oaks and wedderburn airfields;

Bankstown\Camden - Can fly out using my GFPT and I'm assumin aircraft hangarage is scarce

This leaves me to think to purchase a plane with foldable wings or detachable wings and trailer it from home.

Options:

I rarely fly with a passenger these days. But I love taking my kids along. Yes its 's' = kids which will force me to

This one would be worth a look and perhaps a test fly. Happy shopping. Mike http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/skyfox-gazelle.147390/

My plane is still for sale. I must admit I haven't been trying very hard to sell it.

I still need to paint my cowling and replace some fuel lines. I also need to do the 100 hourly before it can fly again as it's now due. I'm waiting on a compass from Ian on this site and will do the service when that arrives. But have a think about this

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aeropup-for-sale.139813/

I would like to do a few other mods long term but I have been struggling for time. Open to offers as I'm now flying my other plane and insuring both.

• Informative 1

you will have to change over to a RAA Pilot cert to fly some of the above aircraft and also you will need a class 2 medical. i have no idea of camden tower hours but if the tower is not open at camden you don't need a medical. but at bankstown you will need one.

Hi Shafs!

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I have both pilot cert and GA gfpt and have a valid class 2.

My plane is still for sale. I must admit I haven't been trying very hard to sell it.

I still need to paint my cowling and replace some fuel lines. I also need to do the 100 hourly before it can fly again as it's now due. I'm waiting on a compass from Ian on this site and will do the service when that arrives. But have a think about this

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aeropup-for-sale.139813/

I would like to do a few other mods long term but I have been struggling for time. Open to offers as I'm now flying my other plane and insuring both.

Ive seen that ages ago and recently and I thought it was a stale ad and would have been sold. It would be a good option. Does it come with trailer? Currently registered? Whats the finalisation work required that you mentioned?

Hi Shafs!Thanks. I forgot to mention that I have both pilot cert and GA gfpt and have a valid class 2.

So when you say GFPT you mean the recreational which replaced the GFPT.

So when you say GFPT you mean the recreational which replaced the GFPT.

The new GFPT is the RPL in the GA world. Its equivalent to the RAAus Pilot certificate. I just happen to have both. With my GFPT, I can fly out of both bankstown and camden in VH aircraft and carry more than 1 passenger and aircraft mtow of 1500kgs.

[ATTACH]42590[/ATTACH] Folding wings are pretty handy especially when it takes around 10 seconds[ATTACH=full]42590[/ATTACH]

I actually love this plane but none selling. Would have to build. If they only made the sonex the same. But it hasnt stopped some modfying their sonex to have folding wings...

Yes they do fold olny takes minutes then ready to fly. This is the tail wheel version (an earlier model) that I used to own. The gazelle wings are the same and fold exactly the same.

Also the sky ranger models have a folding wing option but can not trailer any distance as only OK to hangar.

Cheers

Mike

508545607_onthetrailer.JPG.6ff1f76bd60b12711b6c39fd7731816f.JPG

Wings dont fold?

• Like 1

Does it come with trailer? Currently registered? Whats the finalisation work required that you mentione

-No trailer

-yes it's registered

- finalisation work listed in my message regarding painting cowl etc. It really seems to confuse people with that statement so I should just find time and do it.

- I need to do the 100 hourly before I can fly it again and waiting on compass.

The new GFPT is the RPL in the GA world. Its equivalent to the RAAus Pilot certificate. I just happen to have both. With my GFPT, I can fly out of both bankstown and camden in VH aircraft and carry more than 1 passenger and aircraft mtow of 1500kgs.

GFPT does not exist anymore its been replaced by the CASA RPL.

I think your trying to say you have the CASA RPL and the RAA RPC.

GFPT does not exist anymore its been replaced by the CASA RPL.I think your trying to say you have the CASA RPL and the RAA RPC.

Hi Robbo,

Yes, but not quite. I have until August 2017 to convert my CASA GFPT to RPL. But nevertheless, I do have both. And yes I have double dipped into my finances having done it that way, but it was just the timing and the finances at the time and other commitments.

I now realize, that I should have just kept flying.

Once an aviator, you will always will be one no matter what.

• Agree 1

I spent 3 years on the Onex but I work away a LOT . I thought the kit was excellent and easy to follow for a first time builder like myself. I was very lucky with the exchange rate at the time and had the kit door to door delivered including the engine kit for about 35000AUD (this included factory spar and machined angle kit-which saved a lot of time). I have probably spent another ~10000 on it(which included the professional paint job), so all up around 45. I have only got 10 hours flying on it so far but am delighted with it. Performance and handling are exactly as advertised.

cheers Peter

• Like 1

Don't you have to have a flight review every 12 months on the old Car 5 GFPT?

That is correct, before I can go out again by myself, I would need to do a check ride with an instructor, grade wise I am not sure which grade can do that. Either way I am up for a review anyways as my bi annual us up for my RAAus Pilot certificate in August.

That is correct, before I can go out again by myself, I would need to do a check ride with an instructor, grade wise I am not sure which grade can do that. Either way I am up for a review anyways as my bi annual us up for my RAAus Pilot certificate in August.

Are you talking about the 90 day check?

The AFR is different, and you can't do your next review under the gfpt.

Basically when you do your next GFPT flight review you will convert to the rpl.

Are you talking about the 90 day check?The AFR is different, and you can't do your next review under the gfpt.

Basically when you do your next GFPT flight review you will convert to the rpl.

Correct again, I have until August 2017 to convert my GFPT to RPL or convert my RAAus Pilot Certificate to CASA RPL.

food for thought...thinking of buying a plane...I live close to bankstown, camden, the oaks and wedderburn airfields;

Options:

Interesting. Graham Onis is in the process of building new hangars at The Oaks - watch that space.

• Like 1