RV 3 and RV4 on Rec Aus registry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the stall limit stay but that may not be a widely held view.

I know two people is a risk minimiser but I do get frustrated that I can't take both my kids and my wife for a 'rec' flight.

I know 4 pob is 'GA' but I don't see any reason why the medical and maintenance of 4-6 seaters couldn't be the same as ours if not being used for commercial purposes. IMO aviation in Australia would get a boost by canning the medical for non commercial pilots (although that could also negatively affect RAA) without a huge spike in incidents.

Yes I will eventually get around to converting to a PPL (I won't leave Raa though as that is where my hornet will be kept unless something hugely negative happened) and getting a medical so that I can hire a plane big enough for the wife and kids but it would be nice if there were a few less steps to get to that stage.

And before I get shot down...... I DO NOT WANT ANY OF THESE EXTRA PRIVILEDGES TO ADD EXTRA REQUIREMENTS TO OUR BASIC ULTRALIGHT FLYING and I don't see any legitimate reason why they should. I think bringing aviation regs back to be more in line with road rules makes logical sense

• Agree 2

SDQDI, I understand your sentiments exactly. I regularly take my wife and kids for a fly in our j400. I am fortunate to have done my ppl some years back and built my jab in expire mental category so is not expensive to run or maintain. Only have to do medical every 2 years but have no yearly rego fees. If we could have the same medical as in RAAus it would be ideal. Tom

• Like 2

On the subject of VH- reg. owners supposedly not paying registration.

'Rego' used to be known as Air Navigation Charges and was a heavy fixed impost for those many owners with low or sporadic utilisation.

Industry lobbied for a fuel tax, so as to better align utilisation with Air Nav fees incurred.

Every time you top up with aviation fuel, you pay 'rego' money.

This system has been very successful, to the point that many who post here don't even know that it exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone know if there is a proposal to up the stall speed to accompany the 750kg MTOW?

We need to remember there are two aspects to the 750kg. First is the pilot - that's easy, just change the words/numbers from 600kg to 750kg. There is no stall rating on the pilot. There may be a requirement to transition and prove capability to handle a heavier aircraft of course.

Next is the aircraft registration with RAAus at 750 kg. I haven't heard any talk of what stall speed would be acceptable. A 45knot stall for a 750 kg aircraft is both readily achievable and, to my way of thinking, desirable for "Sport Pilots". But, if it is not a requirement for the RPL why should it be a requirement for the RPC?

If you look at the Euro (EASA) CS-VLA standard it looks very, very similar to LSA except the MTOW number is 750kg instead of 600 kg. For aircraft like mine that are being registered in Europe at 750kg as VLA then it is very easy for RAAus/CASA to see the aircraft reclassified by the manufacturer as VLA at 750 kg MTOW and 45 knot stall in the landing config remains as that is the VLA standard.

. . . aviation in Australia would get a boost by canning the medical for non commercial pilots (although that could also negatively affect RAA) without a huge spike in incidents.

The Sport Pilot "experiment" in the USA has lead the FAA to accept the reality that a medical like our Class II is not necessary for non-commercial pilots. The proposal to have a "possess a car licence" medical to fly non-commercially is in the US Congress with every chance of success. Similarly, in the UK the move their is to remove the Class II equivalent medical from non-commercial aviation.

. . . And before I get shot down...... I DO NOT WANT ANY OF THESE EXTRA PRIVILEDGES TO ADD EXTRA REQUIREMENTS TO OUR BASIC ULTRALIGHT FLYING . . .

I've been hearing this argument for the last 7 years but have seen no evidence that, e.g., getting the increase from 540 kg to 600 kg has in any way disadvantaged people who fly 95.10 I remain baffled by why people think that, e.g. getting access to CTA (for those who want it) would affect those that have no use for it.

p.s. SDQDI - will you be at the fly-in at YQDI on Sat 11th June? If so, do say g'day. Don

• Like 1

I've been hearing this argument for the last 7 years but have seen no evidence that, e.g., getting the increase from 540 kg to 600 kg has in any way disadvantaged people who fly 95.10 I remain baffled by why people think that, e.g. getting access to CTA (for those who want it) would affect those that have no use for it.

p.s. SDQDI - will you be at the fly-in at YQDI on Sat 11th June? If so, do say g'day. Don

I didn't mean to sound like I expected things to get harder for the 95.10ers, I get baffled and frustrated by those that think more privileges means we get a throat cut in exchange for said privileges. Actually for what it is worth I think the RAA cops a bit of slack for what I think is basic economics, it isn't RAAs fault that things aren't as cheap as they were in the early eighties but anyway I'll stop carrying on:doh:

PS I certainly will be here on the 11th, I am currently the president of the yqdi aero club so will be out in full dress making a spectacle of myself and will certainly say G'day:thumb up:

PPS anyone else who is within flying distance of YQDI is more than welcome to pop along on the 11th (this coming Saturday) for a BBQ lunch with some special guests, the deputy PM along with Michael Johnsen and our local council will all be there. So the more people that turn up to take the focus off me the better:wink: and better for aviation as a whole really:laugh:.

• Like 1

Ah yes the air nav charges, I remember them now, had to pay them myself once. Good thing my rotax prefers Mogas.

I imagine that there is more tax on mogas than avgas. And the mogas tax goes partly to pay for roads that aircraft (mostly) do not use.

Mining Companies get the diesel fuel excise rebated for vehicles that do not operate on public roads. We should get the same deal by CASA funding RAA-us so that it has to charge members only for insurance and the magazine.