This is why you dont turn back

Killed Fred Hoinville at Goulburn years ago in a powered glider. The technique isn't new. It's long been recommended. Whether the nose pod or the canopy, I'm not sure you could count on it.Nev

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point facthunter. Would a glider nose pod fail at a wire fence ?think if you were in one or a pusher plane a wire fence would be something to avoid - with a tractor plane probably could be a good thing to slow you down ?

Yes, glider pod versus fence = win: to the fence. I know someone lucky to be alive and still have the use of both eyes after a fence incident.

The mainreason the into wind is preferred is because of the reduced landing speed. IF you are going to hit something do it as slow as possible.On a similar tack if in a glider or a pusher and you are going into a wire fence groundloop into wind so you don't cut your head off. It's practically impossible to turn the other way with rudder if there is much crosswind and you have no power. Nev

Have to agree about landing into wind is possible.

I had an engine out on climb out( after a dummy approach with a tailwind) around 300', I was off the runway centreline deliberately, as it takes me over a nice open paddock. Knowing I had a good tailwind component, I maintained my airspeed and immediately started a right turn, and was just rolling my wings level just prior to touchdown. The turn of about 170 degrees both got me a nice slow touchdown and lined up with the furrows. I could have landed straight ahead touching down in soft soil at around 60kts ground speed, instead I had around 30. Mind you if I looked like running out of altitude, I could have levelled the wings and landed with no obstacles any time through the turn.

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

In a glider, you can do a CLIMBING 180 turn starting at 70 knots and finishing about 60 knots. There is no situation where a tug engine failure should cause the glider to come down in the trees, unless you have a real underpowered tug and a short strip .

In a Jabiru, you can do a 180 turn starting at 80 knots and finishing at 60 knots with about 200 ft height drop at a 45 degree bank. I have done this many times at a safe height. This is NOT to be construed as me recommending a turn-back at 200ft.

Try this yourself. Cut the power at 80 knots. Don't shove the nose down to 100 knots, slow down but keep it well above the correct stall speed for the 45 bank angle.

I have personally seen two EFATO's at Gawler. The first ( engine shut down) did a 90 degree turn from 300 ft and a good landing in a good paddock. The options within 30 degrees ahead were not so good.

The second ( engine still going a bit at the beginning) attempted a 270 degree circuit from 300 ft and it ended with a broken plane. He sure would have been better landing off the airfield.

Facthunter's comments here are good advice I reckon.