Solo circuits video

A video of my second solo, about a week after I first soloed. Fairly busy traffic so I kept the background music to a minimum for anyone that wants to listen to the radio work ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

No worries, I thought I should put a video up with all the ATC loud and clear after a few guys mentioned the music was distracting in my first solo video haha

Good work mate! You are ahead of me now :{ still haven't done my second solo. My flying school closed down, had moved to another school with different aircraft, now I have to get comfortable with the new plane. Great vid' mate

Cheers

Hi Parkway,

They are an interesting aircraft to land the Sportstar aren't they, you need to be gentle on the brakes and when you are on the ground they are very sensitive, I can't quite make out in the video but it seems your doing about 100kts downwind? is that what it cruises at?

David

Sportstar 4910

Excellent video. Is the gauge closest to the Garmin GPS, right hand side reading outside the green zone? And, are you doing your downwind checks? I do mine out loud and tend to point to the gauges and stuff etc. as I check them off.

I've noticed that. Line it up perfectly and somehow almost end up in the rough grass 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I heard a lot of people will put a bag of sand in the P2 seat to add some balance.

I see that bloody magnet on the left of the runway is still working ;-) Why do we do that? Is it easier in a single seater to stay on the center line?

Those things you are resting your feet on in the aircraft...... press the right one a bit ...... it's an anti-left turn device.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Parkway,They are an interesting aircraft to land the Sportstar aren't they, you need to be gentle on the brakes and when you are on the ground they are very sensitive, I can't quite make out in the video but it seems your doing about 100kts downwind? is that what it cruises at?

David

Sportstar 4910

Yeah 90 to 100 knots in cruise. The nose wheel is really sensitive at high speeds on the ground I've noticed (compared to the warrior I flew before)

I see that bloody magnet on the left of the runway is still working ;-) Why do we do that? Is it easier in a single seater to stay on the center line?

Yeah I'm still struggling with it! I find that I put in a big too much right rudder and then instead of letting off the pressure the tiniest bit when I'm going right, I let it off too much. Then I get an oscillation going where I'm going left right left right haha I'm working on it

Those things you are resting your feet on in the aircraft...... press the right one a bit ...... it's an anti-left turn device.

You mean they're not foot rests?!

Good work mate! You are ahead of me now :{ still haven't done my second solo. My flying school closed down, had moved to another school with different aircraft, now I have to get comfortable with the new plane. Great vid' mateCheers

That sucks mate, I'm sure you'll be back up to speed in no time! I've got in another solo flight since, which I put on my you tube channel but kinda boring I guess, just more of the same haha I'm getting close to an area solo which I'm really looking forward to!!

• Like 1

That sucks mate, I'm sure you'll be back up to speed in no time! I've got in another solo flight since, which I put on my you tube channel but kinda boring I guess, just more of the same haha I'm getting close to an area solo which I'm really looking forward to!!

Good to hear mate. So how was your second solo ? were you as nervous as the first? a little less? Excited?

The new school has a fair few students and 2 planes so it's hard to book the plane when I want. The last two times I booked it rained !!!! #$@!

The nose wheel is really sensitive at high speeds on the ground I've noticed (compared to the warrior I flew before)

Without interfering with what you are being told by whoever is teaching you, the nose wheel (or tail wheel for those that have a particular fettish) is best used for taxi. On take off or landing they are best used at low speed.

Take my post as a comment only and as times goes by you MAY come to agree. Worth considering and your instructor may even agree?

Without interfering with what you are being told by whoever is teaching you, the nose wheel (or tail wheel for those that have a particular fettish) is best used for taxi. On take off or landing they are best used at low speed.Take my post as a comment only and as times goes by you MAY come to agree. Worth considering and your instructor may even agree?

Yeah the sportstar POH recommends basically a soft field type takeoff, lifting the nose wheel as soon as possible then holding the nose high attitude till the plane wants to fly. My instructor is constantly telling me to hold the nose off for longer on the landing roll, I'm getting better at it :)

Good to hear mate. So how was your second solo ? were you as nervous as the first? a little less? Excited?The new school has a fair few students and 2 planes so it's hard to book the plane when I want. The last two times I booked it rained !!!! #$@!

Definately less nervous. I went for a 3rd solo the other day and it felt more like I was going out to work on my landings and the whole being alone thing wasn't really a factor

• Like 1

Yeah I'm still struggling with it! I find that I put in a big too much right rudder and then instead of letting off the pressure the tiniest bit when I'm going right, I let it off too much. Then I get an oscillation going where I'm going left right left right haha I'm working on it

Not sure if this helps you, but may I suggest, on your takeoff roll, try starting the roll at a fast taxi speed, slowly increasing the throttle, keeping it straight, then slowly apply full power when you are nicely going down the centre line. It's easier to compensate for the pull to the left. It's what my instructor taught me. He was constantly on to me about not using my feet enough, until it sunk in.

Not sure if this helps you, but may I suggest, on your takeoff roll, try starting the roll at a fast taxi speed, slowly increasing the throttle, keeping it straight, then slowly apply full power when you are nicely going down the centre line. It's easier to compensate for the pull to the left. It's what my instructor taught me. He was constantly on to me about not using my feet enough, until it sunk in.

I'll give it a go next flight, thanks!

Excellent video. Is the gauge closest to the Garmin GPS, right hand side reading outside the green zone? And, are you doing your downwind checks? I do mine out loud and tend to point to the gauges and stuff etc. as I check them off.

That's the oil temp, it took a while to come up. These engines are renowned for it, apparently 50 degrees or above is acceptable. I do my downwind checks, just not out loud... Not much of a "talking to myself" kinda guy hahaha.

I've put up another video but it's just more solo circuits. I had a second camera looking out over the wing but it stuffed up after about 2 seconds hahaha at least I got some engine noise from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCn0L2sTPkc