Conversion from Ra-Aus to RPL to private

I know that once you have an Ra-Aus licence it's a fairly simple process to convert to an RPL.. My question is if I had an Ra-Aus licence with pax and cross country endorsements, and have applied for an RPL, and have a bit of experience in Ra-Aus planes, what would be involved in getting the PPL done from that point? Is it like another 20 or so hours or is it competency based? I'm assuming you would have a bunch of exams to pass too. Just curious. Mainly because I'm told you can't get an Aerobatic endorsement under Ra-Aus !?

• Agree 1

You can hold an aerobatic endorsement on an RPL. You must hold a class 1 or 2 medical and be trained by an appropriately qualified instructor.

You'd need to complete the PPL theory exam and approach a GA flying school to complete an assessment of your skills and knowledge. The CFI should then either complete a flight test or design a course of training to get you up to speed on any deficiencies.

• Agree 1

I just did it. Passed the PPL test on Friday.

It took 3 hours to solo on a C172. About 3 more and I had the RPL.

Then another 10ish to get all the way to PPL. I also did about 5 hours private hire just to practice and get confident.

You don't need to do the RPL but it is good practice, and lets you do private hire as you prepare for the PPL.

You have to write the BAK set by your school then the PPL exam set by CASA.

You have to do 2 hours instrument flying as well as several trips into and through controlled airspace. I did Archerfield, Sunshine Coast and Gokd Coast.

You may do it in a lot less. For me Most of it was me refreshing myself on how to navigate and do all the things we forget between BFRs. I think I learned more in a permanent way now due to the revision than when I did my Pilot Certificate years ago.

To cut down in time do it from controlled airspace to start with instead of flying to a class D.

Also find a school who can show they have a plan to convert you and arn't making it up as they go along.

Good luck

Ryan

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Parkway - for what it's worth I agree with Ryan above. I recently got my RPL upgrade (from RA-AUS RPC) with 4.4 hours training in a C172 at Caboolture. That included the mandatory 2 hrs instrument training (which was the best, most educational part) and flight into their nearby CTA. There was an exam, with a focus on W&B, but nothing harder than what you've probably already done in RA-Aus assessment, especially if you've used the Bob Tait BAK and PPL textbooks.

It cost me a tad over $1500 plus the CASA and ASIC fees. I already had done my English Proficiency assessment, and also had an existing Class 2 Medical. Satisfying CASA's paperwork challenge (and then waiting for them to process it) was arguably the hardest part.

I suggest that if you stick with the same GA school, then upgrading from RPL to a PPL will be equally straightforward, and might require just another 8 ~10 hrs.

Go for it- it's easier and cheaper than you might think. And shop around - one Brisbane GA school quoted me 12~15 hrs at Dual rate just for the RPL, plus paid exams - a ripoff if your'e already reasonably proficient as an RAAUS graduate pilot.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Parkway if nothing else maybe a class 2 medical is a good step...worth finding out if you can hold one. Then start RPL/PPL as you decide. I've had no dealings but I believe clouddancer at YPJT can sort you out with both from RAA (I fly from Royal Aero Club)

Good to see some more active WA aviators on the forum too!

Tellerto-Which company did you use for the transition to RPL at Caboolture.

Tasmag

I went to Caboolture Aero Dynamic on Aerodrome Road. The CFI / Operator is Bryan Carpenter, and he employs another couple of instructors. My experience with them was fine - they certainly knew their stuff yet had an easy-going style in the cockpit. If you can demonstrate reasonable proficiency in flying, air law and BAK you'll be fine and will have your RPL endorsement quick-smart and at a reasonable cost. Their C172's weren't exactly new, but were functional.

But you will most likely have to complete the school's BAK so that they know you understand weight and balance. There is getting the RPL, then there is being checked out to be able to use it, which could include many things. It is very useful to do that BAK. If you want to go on to PPL you need it too.

But you will most likely have to complete the school's BAK so that they know you understand weight and balance. There is getting the RPL, then there is being checked out to be able to use it, which could include many things. It is very useful to do that BAK. If you want to go on to PPL you need it too.

Weight and Balance / loading systems are aircraft type specific, so the BAK will not cover all loading systems. The requirements of CASR 61.385 addresses the requirement to be familiar with an aircraft's performance, loading, operating systems and procedures. Both the pilot and their flying instructor need to be satisfied the requirements of CASR 61.385 are met. The trend for schools insisting on RPC converts completing the BAK exam seems to be a lack of understanding of the RPC conversion process.

As far as I know the GA BAK no longer officially exists. It is now the RPL exam for GA students. As Roundsounds has stated, there are no further exams or test flights to do for a RPC holder to convert to a RPL, just a BFR in a GA plane (with the possible exception of a level 4/6 English test). Of course it is open to anyone to volunteer to do any exam they may want to test knowledge. I would think a combined GA/RAAus school is the best place to convert if convenient. Some GA schools still have a superiority complex.