Best flight school at Bankstown Airport?

Hello all, like the title suggests I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good place to learn how to fly as a complete beginner? preferably at Bankstown Airport. I was considering Red Baron, but have also heard about Curtis aviation in Camden. Any thoughts or other recommendations? My goal is to get my RPL, maybe PPL, but aerobatics is where I'd like to end up!

Help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Also check out http://www.aeroacademy.com.au/ I'd visit all three and have a look around, talk to insructors and students. Go away and think then return to one for a trial instructional flight.

I know people who have learnt at each, all gave good reviews.

Curtis use Citabrias for ab initio.

The other two at Bankstown use the Robin. At AAA you would get your aerobatic endorsement with your RPL, Red Baron possibly does the same.

NSW Aerobatic Championships in September at Narromine and Qld Aerobatic Championships end of this month at Watts Bridge. AAA aircraft and pilots will be at both.

Of course, there is the premier flying school in the Sydney Basin, Sydney Flying College at Bankstown. SFCaero.com.au 9709 8488. This is the training arm of Schofields Flying Club. SFC has an extensive flying training programme from ab initio, RPL, PPL and CPL with some parts a formal training programme with Sydney TAFE.

Have alook at Clamback & Hennessy, next to the Control Tower.They use Piper Warriors for training, have been there for many years!

Hi is Ray Clamback still holding a commercial license?? Not being rude. I knew him over 30 years ago with Navair - and Anita was around as well doing fear of flying courses.

Hi is Ray Clamback still holding a commercial license?? Not being rude. I knew him over 30 years ago with Navair - and Anita was around as well doing fear of flying courses.

Ray is still there but doesn't personally instruct any more. Aminta is the CFI and she does the testing.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, can anyone tell me what is involved in getting a class 1 or 2 medical? like what do they do, check my eyes etc? Will be going for one this week, have a few issues with my back though so I don't really have high hopes.

Guest jonnywallace

Hey mate, I'm 9.8 hours into getting my RPL at Bankstown with Soar Aviation, training in the Foxbat. My instructor, SK has been great - proper 1 hour briefing before flying and a post brief. I'm loving training in the Foxbat as well, a lot of visibility out of them which makes looking for that 45 degree angle on circuits that little bit easier. Class 2 medical for RPL is pretty straight forward, (I hope) - I am still having to jump through a few hoops because I have asthma, but otherwise pretty it's mellow. It will be the best thing you ever do, I'm hooked... even half considering a career change into aviation...

• 4 months later...

All,

Would appreciate any info on how to get documentation on the hours I flew with NAVAIR at Bankstown in the mid 90's as am starting flying again after 15 years and have lost my log book, so will need to get evidence of my flight hours.

Many thanks,

Howard Saunders

I did my PPL in 1996/97 with Sean Daly & Stuart Johnson as instructors. I moved to Kenya since then, had the PPL validated here, but then stopped flying around 2000 (at around 75 hours). Since then have lost my log book but now need it as I'm restarting again.

But seems Navair has closed since then...

[email protected]

If you have the PPL license and or CASA has your number still in the system, you should have no problems flying again. If you have a unrestricted PPL license you should only need to show you are competent to the CFI and to standard to pass a BFR. If not do some hours. Others have done the same thing with no or lost logbook, but have the license.

I dont suppose anyone here know a pilot who used to teach for navairHis name was ivan big czechoslovakian guy

I did my PPL in 1996/97 with Sean Daly & Stuart Johnson as instructors. I moved to Kenya since then, had the PPL validated here, but then stopped flying around 2000 (at around 75 hours). Since then have lost my log book but now need it as I'm restarting again.But seems Navair has closed since then...

[email protected]

All,Would appreciate any info on how to get documentation on the hours I flew with NAVAIR at Bankstown in the mid 90's as am starting flying again after 15 years and have lost my log book, so will need to get evidence of my flight hours.

Many thanks,

Howard Saunders

Hi Howard

In those days the Pilot records were paper based, and would have been destroyed when the School closed.