Oshkosh 2016

I was there Monday through Thursday, my first time at the event. HUGE fly-in turnout (10,000 aircraft at a guess - some were turned away for lack of room).

Weather early in the week was superb, but a bit overcast & some rain Wednesday and Thursday to impact the airshow program. I did a local flight in a Ford Tri Motor, and my friend did one in the B17.

Hundreds of exhibits to see! Too much is never enough

Yep, finally got to the Sea Plane base as well ( after my 4th OSH) & watched Te Mars Martin do its thing - very impressive.

Got to show another newby ( Oshkosh virgin) the ropes - he now comprehends the enormity of it all. Check out the EAA's list of forums alone & you'll see what I mean.

Met up with Fly Vulcan (forumite here) & many other Aussies.

Weather, except for the humidity of last Sat/Sun was very easy to handle.

Technology - there are so many new products & developments to long to list but one that may interest many is the Aeolus-Sense (A-EFIS with AHRS input) from talosavionics.com - it is an App for use with IOS & Android etc.

If you are truly interested in any level of aviation then go to OSH- you will not be disappointed.

• Like 1

Yep I am here. What an awesome event. Jealous of what they have here! Highlight for me was watching the mass arrivals from next to the runway on Sunday arvo. Coupled with ATV audio it was a sight to see. Airliners landing on the same runway at the same time as an RV and an Ultralight. 6 straight hours of pure madness. It was even more hectic than normal I'm told because weather restricted arrivals Saturday arvo and Sunday morning.

Jake, did you see xfs.aero? If so what did you think? Seems a little under developed but looks to have awesome potential to the untrained eye! Would be interested in your thoughts.

Nick, I found it to be a bit 'clunky' but that's to be expected in the early stages of product development. In my situation with giving advice to potential customers I avoid products that have not had the test of time & are produced by very small single owner outfits.

My advice has always been to NOT buy until one is fully ready to install/use - who wants to spend hard earned dollars & be the R&D bunny for them ?

• Like 1

Did anyone notice if there were any new products from Dynon or Mgl during the show? Sometimes they wait till airventure to release new products.

Jakej will be able to fill you in on any Dynon products. He is the Dynon man to go to in Australia and spent plenty of time with the Dynon team at Oshkosh. I didn't get to the MGL display so couldn't say whether they have anything new.

It was an excellent show (as always) and I was knackered after 6 days of it but very content...

• Like 1

Dynon showed an updated HDX high-res touch panel (as per the link below).

A nicer looking display than my older non-touch version. I liked the re-orientation of the push buttons on an angled bevel at the base - a more ergonomic position in turbulence.

Dynon Avionics SkyView HDX | The premier SkyView experience

Nick, I found it to be a bit 'clunky' but that's to be expected in the early stages of product development. In my situation with giving advice to potential customers I avoid products that have not had the test of time & are produced by very small single owner outfits. My advice has always been to NOT buy until one is fully ready to install/use - who wants to spend hard earned dollars & be the R&D bunny for them ?

Did you get to see Levil? They are getting up there with their development of the mini blue tooth AHRS. The unit blue toothed to an IPad there you have the expensive glass cockpit for a fraction of the cost.

Regards,

Keith Page.

Nick, I found it to be a bit 'clunky' but that's to be expected in the early stages of product development. In my situation with giving advice to potential customers I avoid products that have not had the test of time & are produced by very small single owner outfits. My advice has always been to NOT buy until one is fully ready to install/use - who wants to spend hard earned dollars & be the R&D bunny for them ?

Thanks Jake. That's what I thought. The demo they gave me didn't really work, but I still found it interesting, especially as I think they are going to make the project open source?? They also alluded to the fact that it was always going to be the case that the owner would have to be the type that likes fiddling with things as it takes a lot of customisation to get right. To me that seems to be asking too much for most so not sure how they are going to go commercially. I think one thing that might happen if it truely is open source is that experimental avionics techs might create a bit of a market in supplying and supporting the installations. A long way to come, but with the price of avionics being what it is, it's an interesting development. Homebuilt avionics rather than avionics for homebuilts!