What phone for Next G operation

Ross

Hi Guy's

there is a less expensive option to the flighcell 2go if you are interested!

Do have it as part of our Blue Shed Aviation training organisation as we sell Pilot Communications, so you can get them from whoever or look here!http://www.blueshed.com.au/adapters.htm

PA 86A is the basic cell phone interface or the PA400T intercom which is what I use as I can plug in my phone and MP3 at the same time, also has volume adjust and can run from aircraft power or batteries.

A fellow in QLD brings these into the country, they are made in Korea!

Hope this is OK Moderator's and Site Admin!

Not trying to promote my business as much as to promote things one has found which are good and at a reasonable cost!

Just Love The Music

Cheers Guy

Thanks for the full disclosure Guy. I'm inclined to leave it because of your disclosure and the fact that you are providing useful information about an alternative product.

Not sure Ian will agree though.

A safer route next time would be to google other links to the product. I just found quite a few.

It doesn't look as full-featured or high quality as the FlightCell, but I will look further.

I do like to support Oz or NZ products where possible though.

Ross

Here you go Geoff.

This Bluetooth device has a 2.5mm socket for standard headset connection.

Ross.

I have ordered one of those thru ebay, so thanks for the lead.

Is supposed to be official Motorola item, so we will see if it is OK when it gets here.

Also have a lead coming from Flightcell who have been very helpful and quick to respond.

But I like the idea of the bluetooth connection if it will work faultlessly, as 1 less cable floating around getting tangled with the maps and the ERSA would be good.

Regards Geoff

Ross

I just bought a TYTN 2 - can you tell me what extras you think I need to get - I also want to get software for it to use as both a GPS for driving around the streets including voice for turn here and software to use as a backup aviation GPS - what plugs etc to be able to use to connect to a headset - what about an in car bluetooth kit.

I guess a spare battery and charger would come in handy as well as a car mount - anything else - what do you think I should get?

Ian,

I'd recommend looking through the SPB range of software. Excellent stuff.

I use SPB Backup (very important), SPB Time, SPB Weather, SPB GPRS Monitor (watch your download limit), SPB Insight (newsreader), SPB Pocket Plus.

Start here.

Also, make sure you bookmark all the BoM radar sites and airport AWS pages you are likely to use. It's great to be able to call them up while flying. Jack and I used them extensively on Saturday to dodge all the rain between Goulburn and Taree.

I don't use the phone for GPS, I use my PDA. For that I use OziExplorer for the air and Co-Pilot, ironically, for the road.

I don't think Co-Pilot is the best option. Search around.

Get some additional storage (Micro SD card?) and install all the software there instead of local. Probably not a spare battery though. I think if the battery goes flat or you take it out, you lose the local storage. That's where a backup would be handy. SPB Backup creates a self-extracting backup which you can store on the SD card. Then to restore you just run that. Easy.

Car kit (holder, charger, cable).

To connect to an aviation headset, get the plug I posted below (or above if you order your posts that way) and a FlightCell 2Go - although someone told me they stopped making them and their website has just taken them off. Got mine just in time it appears. Instead of the plug adaptor, you could use the Bluetooth thing I told Captain about.

If you take or make calls in the car, definitely get a Bluetooth car handsfree too.

Can't think of anything else.

Ross

Ian,you could use the Bluetooth thing I told Captain about.

Ross

Ross,

The bluetooth thingy that you told me about arrived from the US today. It looks good and a Motorola product.

Works well in the car with my V9 and I have just tested it when hooked into the FlightCell.

Works a treat in the shed, so as long as the bluetooth signals doesn't interfere with any aircraft systems when on the wing it looks to be a great solution.

Just need to mount the 820 somewhere out of the way but reachable and the phone can stay living in my shirt pocket.

Thanks for your guidance on this.

Regards Geoff

IMG_7344.JPG.487152fc3f7d7856d8dc9d544a9ab2e2.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG.1b4bb9d62bef375994482613b3b5e174.JPG

IMG_7346.JPG.9c1ba26ade2c384b00b3181c10064a54.JPG

To connect to an aviation headset, get the plug I posted below (or above if you order your posts that way) and a FlightCell 2Go - although someone told me they stopped making them and their website has just taken them off. Got mine just in time it appears. Ross

Ross

I am not sure about this but I will look into it - I currently have 1 in stock and 1 of the Pro versions as well - perhaps now I might put the price up 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif (just joking)

Ross, got my TYTN 2 yesterday - it hasn't rung yet - it seems no body wants to ring me on my mobile so far 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif (it does work) - magnificent little machine with the only negative compared to me using a separate phone and PDA is that the screen is smaller then my IPAQ but I knew it would be. Co-Pilot v7 came with it and I tested that out and the GPS in it worked great so I just need to get aviation maps for it as well so I suppose I will have to look at OziExplorer for that. I am installing/saving everything to the smart card so having a 2nd battery and charger may be worth getting.

You would still need to restore from backup when you change the battery (I think - check it), so do what I do - keep it charged. If it gets down to half, plug it in to the plane for a while. If you are using it for nav, keep it plugged in.

Looks like a great device - I love my TyTn 1, and apparently these are even better.

I'll try the FlightCell in flight tomorrow.

Ross (or is that RossA?)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

The original topic starter was asking about experiences out there with NextG and 3G networks - and handsets. But that was several months ago.

Our CDMA service is about to have the plug pulled and we are on the fringe of GSM here on the farm - so we are interested to know if anyone has more recent experience with new phones and NextG or 3G. We have to decide on which phones and a service providor by end of this week.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I've been using a JasJam (HTC TyTn) on Telstra's NextG for yonks now, and have had great coverage. There are places where I have no reception, but not many. I have been able to use it in the air almost anywhere.

I have also been using the FlightCell 2Go successfully in the air. It seamlessly integrates the mobile into the headset. The microphone volume has been a little loud for people I'm talking to, but the clarity is excellent.

Good luck.

Ross

- so we are interested to know if anyone has more recent experience with new phones and NextG or 3G.Cheers,Chris

Chris,

I went from Telstra CDMA to NextG with Telstra using a Motorazer V9 and am very happy with it all. I have not experienced any of the doom and gloom of reduced coverage and it has worked everywhere when it needed to. I have just returned from 3 days on a motorcycle blasting thru the Snowy and it always worked well with a good signal. In this neck of the woods the Telstra coverage seems pretty good to me.

Hope that helps.

Regards Geoff

Best of luck with it Ramcam. As you can see from earlier posts I have a Jasjam and have used it on both NextG and 3G. It cost me a fortune because I bought the thing outright and then still had to pay a cancellation fee to Telstra. Terrible coverage, constant phone problems (putting calls on hold for no reason, dropping out, lack of decent message notification etc). People at the other end of the phone couldn't hear my calls properly and I've had bills of nearly $200 in a month due to call drop outs or needing to call 3 or 4 times to get a decent line.

Anyway, I've given up on the thing. I've just got a Nokia 6120 which I chose because it looked smaller and simpler. It didn't cost me anything on the lowest cap plan with 3. The funny thing is it still has a calendar, notes, internet access, email, weather radar just like the Jasjam, but so far it is better as a phone and to date no dropouts at all (early days yet though). Plus it actually fits in a pocket. I haven't yet tried it with a headset.

My OH's IT manager equipped 51 people in the company with Jasjams - not one of them has a good thing to say about the phones and upper level management have all re-equipped.

PS: Anyone want to buy a slightly used Jasjam?