Battery for a Rotax 912ULS

Also keep in mind if your charging system charges at a high amperage than you need a large load or large Ah rate battery to take that charge or load. If not you can risk cooking your battery by charging too much. So the big battery can be a smart choice.

Refer to a previous post on this thread.

If you have a rotax 912ULS you can kill the sprag clutch by not having enough grunt when starting. My battery is a 18 or 19ah I cnt remeber the model exactly but I just replaced my original which was 16ah. For one or two kg more I would much rather have the grunt and capacity there.

If you have a rotax 912ULS you can kill the sprag clutch by not having enough grunt when starting. My battery is a 18 or 19ah I cnt remeber the model exactly but I just replaced my original which was 16ah. For one or two kg more I would much rather have the grunt and capacity there.

Funny that you mentioned the sprag clutch - I am the third owner of my Zephyr/912 ULS (so the previous owners probably used the minimum recommended CCA battery that was fitted in the aircraft at my purchase) and about 100 hrs ago (@600+hrs) I had to replace the sprag clutch. I am just on my second battery, each has had progressively higher CCA and lighter weight, in the same external dimensions.

Im 24 rego so got to stick with the original 8ah

Improvements in lead/acid battery performance has been progressing very rapidly over the last few years. I believe this has been driven my the automotive industries need to meet ever higher pollution standards and the electrical load that the explosion in electronic/computerisation of vehicles (including motorbikes) has demanded. Lighter vehicles tend to burn less fuel/ produce less pollution than heavy ones. Fuel saving Stop/Start technology places a huge demand on a battery. In the past, if you wanted higher/better battery performance you fitted a bigger heavier battery (space permitting). The automotive industries conundrum is, they need more powerful batteries to meet the electrical demand and at the same time the battery must be lighter than before. The battery industry/technology is meeting these requirements.

The aircraft industry (particularly us at the light and very light end) can & should take advantage of these improvements SUBJECT to weight & balance considerations

I find it hard to believe that you are restricted to a battery that will give you marginal cranking performance when much better batteries are readily available. I suggest you contact the manufacturer seeking authorisation to use a modern battery with higher CCA and lighter weight.

NOTE: - In the above comment I am not endorsing any of the lithium type batteries