When eagles attack!

John is a very, very experienced glider and power pilot; which explains the successful outcome. It will be interesting to learn whether it happened during a thermalling phase, or during a straight cross country sector. Lots of wedgetails over the entire WA wheatbelt so beware. Don't go under them. The other bird hazard this year is the flocks of large 'wading' type birds, (Ibis?) which are in the highest density I've ever seen in southern WA, especially within 30nm of the southern coast. We are using our strobes + landing lights in the circuit at many south coast locations.

happy days,

I had a close encounter once. Wedge tail appeared on my right approx 30 metres away. At 2500

We both got a shock. I remember the eagle turning his head towards me, folding his wings and dived away.

Well, I was bigger than him.

Good decision.

PHIL.

I met one yesterday, just about a couple of seconds and i went under nim by about 50ft. At first sighting I thought it was a drone so didn't take action as I was going to miss him. Good job he didn't dive or we would have been close.