cataracts in both eyes

The optometrist casually mentioned this while she was examining my eyes, and added, they're at an early stage, lots of people get them, they are easily fixed by an operation.I'll discuss this with my ophthalmologist (he's a nice guy, and a pilot too), but I'd like to know if many people here have had this issue, and how it turned out.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes earlier this year. It went reasonably well although I was unlucky enough to have an issue with one eye. It's an Easy operation but expect to be out of the air for about a month before CASA gives you the thumbs up.

You are required to inform CASA and they will send you a formal letter grounding you and a list of requirement to provide to your surgeon. All standard stuf and nothing to worry about. After the operation the surgeon will need to provide a letter to CASA stating if there was any complications, the results and the type of lenses fitted (some types are not accepted by CASA). Hope this helps.

Hi ,

I've had cataract surgery in both eyes, all I can say is I wish I had done it earlier,

You won't believe the difference.

I was also concerned about my eyes being touched, but you don't feel anything,

Regards

Mike

I had cataract surgery on both eyes earlier this year. It went reasonably well although I was unlucky enough to have an issue with one eye. It's an Easy operation but expect to be out of the air for about a month before CASA gives you the thumbs up.You are required to inform CASA and they will send you a formal letter grounding you and a list of requirement to provide to your surgeon. All standard stuf and nothing to worry about. After the operation the surgeon will need to provide a letter to CASA stating if there was any complications, the results and the type of lenses fitted (some types are not accepted by CASA). Hope this helps.

I'm required to inform CASA? with an RAAus flight certificate?

Also, can I ask what the issue was that you had with one eye?

thanks

Hi ,I've had cataract surgery in both eyes, all I can say is I wish I had done it earlier,

You won't believe the difference.

I was also concerned about my eyes being touched, but you don't feel anything,

Regards

Mike

do you sedate you in any way?

I'm required to inform CASA? with an RAAus flight certificate?Also, can I ask what the issue was that you had with one eye?

thanks

I would guess Mike was required to tell CASA because he has a Medical, for our RAA certificate we self ground. So if you are not well enough to drive a car you obviously shouldn't fly, conversely once you are well enough you can unground yourself (fly)

Which IMO is how it should be.

• Agree 1

do you sedate you in any way?

An injection in the eye. Sounds gross but all over in few minutes.

Possibly a sedative injection a bit before you are wheeled into the theatre by memory.

Need to have a driver to get you home. Plus next day for post op checkup.

Cheers.

• Agree 1

well, the ophthalmologist says that I have very slight clouding in the lenses, little more than normal aging, and that if I can see OK while wearing a hat, which I can, then he definitely won't operate. Instead he'll review the situation every 2 years. When a surgeon say an op isn't necessary, I'm happy with that advice. Thanks everyone for all the great advice, which will come in handy if/when I ever have this op.