My Name Is Vlad And I Am A ...

Vlad

My name is Vlad and I am a flying addict. I am an ethnic Russian living in the USA. Finished building my experimental aircraft in 2011 and put nearly 3,000 enjoyable hours on her since then. Was lurking here for some time I know there are some outstanding aviators here I see their call signs matching other aircraft specific web boards. There is nowhere left to go in North America and I am planning a Grand Australian Expedition. Doing my homework now. I plan to ship my RV9A to Australia, reassemble, criss cross or circumnavigate your beautiful continent for couple three months then ship her back. I researched the possibility to fly in but rejected it due to exorbitant fees for transiting certain countries while keeping my feet dry. Tons of questions will be coming your way ladies and gentlemen. The aircraft is Day VFR and the pilot is holding US PPASEL certificate. Thanks for having me here.

• Like 8

Hi Vlad,

Welcome to the site. Like rgmwa I've been following your travels on the VAF forum. You will be able to find plenty of grass strips here and some islands to land on but we haven't got anything like Alaska.

Have you got any plans in place yet? I'm on the east coast (Brisbane) and rgmwa is on the west coast (near Perth), so if we can help in any way just ask.

Bob (RV9a)

• Like 1

Hi Vlad,Welcome to the site. Like rgmwa I've been following your travels on the VAF forum. You will be able to find plenty of grass strips here and some islands to land on but we haven't got anything like Alaska.

Have you got any plans in place yet? I'm on the east coast (Brisbane) and rgmwa is on the west coast (near Perth), so if we can help in any way just ask.

Bob (RV9a)

Thank you kindly all for warm welcome! Bob, thinking of March-June a lot of people recommended the season. If I am able to scale down my flying considerably I may have enough pennies for 2018, if not there is always 2019... Looking at shipping options now you guys have strict quarantine rules there.

Thank you kindly all for warm welcome! Bob, thinking of March-June a lot of people recommended the season. If I am able to scale down my flying considerably I may have enough pennies for 2018, if not there is always 2019... Looking at shipping options now you guys have strict quarantine rules there.

Welcome Vlad.

Quarantine is that way because we're an island without a lot of the pests and diseases that plague other continents. Be sure to freight it through a good agent who is qualified to do all the paperwork. It will need a USDA certificate to say it's been cleaned out and down. Our guys can be very picky so get this part right.

Also, you need to consider that your 9A will require 're-building' once it's out of the seatainer and to ensure that it is then returnable to the FAA register - it may require a signoff by someone holding a US A&P licence. Avoid trying to put it onto the Australian register for such a short time because it will cost you 'an arm & a leg'. Check this move out on the casa website I've given below.

Then, you will need to 'convert' your US pilot licence to a temporary Aussie one. Check this on www.casa.gov.au and be prepared to do an air legislation test plus a BFR.

Then, closer to getting here, you need to start planning your routes. The 'outback' here is sparsely inhabited, and it's a long way between fuel stops. You get plenty of helpful advice off this forum.

cheers,

• Caution 1

Welcome Vlad.Then, you will need to 'convert' your US pilot licence to a temporary Aussie one. Check this on www.casa.gov.au and be prepared to do an air legislation test plus a BFR.

Just asking, I thought a USA registered plane could be flown in Australia on a USA Licence with no changes or a temp Aussie and only need a current USA one. ?

Poteroo,

Given that Vlad built his own aircraft he wont need an A&P to reassemble. Also an FAA license is ok to fly a FAA registered aircraft in Australia. He might need CASA permission to operate a foreign registered experimental aircraft.

• Like 1

Just spent a couple of hours reading your VAF blog, Vlad. Wow!! I hope you make it over here with your RV, and manage to jump through all our bureaucratic hoops successfully.

Truly an inspiration to all homebuilders/experimental pilots. Thankyou!

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi Vlad

If you havent seen this we have a guy here who has flown all over australia in his Savannah and also over most of the USA in a under 300kg Kolb. Have a look at his trips on his site. John Gilpin is his name. You may want to drop him a email

StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft

• Like 1
  • Agree 1