Low Fuel Warning

Xavier

Hi all,

Having the the Engine Monitoring system setup, the decision was made to use one of the Auxiliary Input for Low Fuel warning so it would flash the warning light and make some noise in the headset if the low fuel sensor is triggered, instead of just having the red warning light on the other side of the panel.

It is working now and in the process of checking if it was all good I checked how much fuel it would be left just after the Low Fuel warning is on.

Result is 6L of usable fuel after the warning is triggered, would be about 30 minutes of flying at a lower RPM with the 912UL, the safety side should probably be 20 minutes.

Are you ending up with the same numbers ?IMG_20161104_173419.jpg.004e2ea22f349118ff4260e7bec64a4e.jpg

Xavier

Just measured tank:

Internal diameter approx 135mm

Height, bottom of level switch to top of outlet approx 400mm.

3.14etc x 6.75 x 6.75 x 40 = 5722cc

So 6L sounds about right.

Make sure it's available to the engine under ALL conditions. Fuel on board is not necessarily all useable fuel. Nev

Sure, Nev: that's an approximation of the tall narrow cylindrical 'receiver' tank behind the passenger seat. So, while you wouldn't want to be down to those last 5+ Litres, I'm pretty sure you would get them all provided your pump was functioning properly.

Hi all, Having the the Engine Monitoring system setup, the decision was made to use one of the Auxiliary Input for Low Fuel warning so it would flash the warning light and make some noise in the headset if the low fuel sensor is triggered, instead of just having the red warning light on the other side of the panel.

It is working now and in the process of checking if it was all good I checked how much fuel it would be left just after the Low Fuel warning is on.

Result is 6L of usable fuel after the warning is triggered, would be about 30 minutes of flying at a lower RPM with the 912UL, the safety side should probably be 20 minutes.

Are you ending up with the same numbers ?[ATTACH=full]46699[/ATTACH]

Xavier

On the sav collector tank the warning light is on when the fuel is about 80mm down. It's a pressure activated sensor. So count on about 5 litres of fuel plus the delivery fuel line to engine. Therefore plan for 15 minutes max engine time. Safe flying Mike

On the sav collector tank the warning light is on when the fuel is about 80mm down. It's a pressure activated sensor. So count on about 5 litres of fuel plus the delivery fuel line to engine. Therefore plan for 15 minutes max engine time. Safe flying Mike

Further down than I would have thought! Thanks for clarifying that.

I have on several occasions landed and fueled up when all the maths was telling me that I was good to get home.

In every case had I not landed I would have gotten home comfortably.

I just have this thing in my head, that when the fuel gets below 50% I start to question my own judgment.

Not sure how to overcome it, in fact I am not sure if I want to overcome it, but it does affect my perceived endurance.

• Agree 2

Your engine can use more fuel than you thought or there can be a leak. Gauges are not particularly accurate generally and are not relied on as the SOLE indicator, in Aviation. It has to be backed up by some other means of checking fuel quatity on board , such as Full to brim. A known quantity added from empty or from a dip that is reliable. This can only be done on the ground, (quantity check) naturally, so IF you get indications of low fuel in flight from your gauges and you have normally found them reliable, you should not just trust your luck, if you are a careful kind of person. Nev

• 3 weeks later...

I have mounted my 12v booster pump beside the header tank on the savannah to help reduce air locks when header tank gets low the fuel pump is then protected with a fuel strainer before is to take large junks out .