AVMAP V and engine management thing

Just wondering if this setup is any good? why spend this sort of cash and not just go for an ipad based system? Any experience with it?

I am looking for a navigation system with route planning and access to airfield maps and weather reports, Space and weight are important factors too. I like the idea of a combined navigation and basic instruments with a separate display for engine monitoring.

Thanks

Thank you Neil,

I hadn't heard of Avplan before it seems very good but too much for my needs at the moment. There is a similar European software called Rocket route which is probably good option for me in the long run.

It seems that the Avmap is more or less a dedicated display with software that will work with an external planner for navigation and the same for its egis functions. the other alternative is MGL explorer light where all seems to be built into the screen apart from a can bus device for engine monitoring. It is all very confusing and I am wondering if it is worth it or just stick to paper maps and basic instruments.

Yeh them paper maps keep you on the ball I personally love to plan on the paper as it shows me a place I might go

These new gadgets put in a start point and finish point no brain work required 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif what brain

A stint in the army 65 67 taught me about maps and radio never forgot Neil

• Like 1

I had an Avmap EKP V installed in my aircraft by the manufacturer. I have had a fair amount of trouble with it. Some of the problems were operational problems resulting from not knowing how to use it properly, because of a very poor user manual. But there are other problems ongoing, like the heading line freezing. I am still waiting for tech support to find and fix the bug.

I couldn't reccommend these GPSs.

I had an Avmap EKP V installed in my aircraft by the manufacturer. I have had a fair amount of trouble with it. Some of the problems were operational problems resulting from not knowing how to use it properly, because of a very poor user manual. But there are other problems ongoing, like the heading line freezing. I am still waiting for tech support to find and fix the bug.I couldn't reccommend these GPSs.

#That is very disappointing to hear as this system seems to be a good option for me. I hope they sort your problems quickly. Do you think you were just unlucky?

I must admit any electronics worries me in terms of ease of use, reliability and of course cost. There aren't too many alternatives either, the only other reasonably priced option was the MGL explorer light.

I have had a look at some of the ipad options but the functionality and ease of use are a mine field of confusion. Maybe an ipad navigation/moving map with aefis and engine monitor.

I had an Avmap EKP V installed in my aircraft by the manufacturer. I have had a fair amount of trouble with it. Some of the problems were operational problems resulting from not knowing how to use it properly, because of a very poor user manual. But there are other problems ongoing, like the heading line freezing. I am still waiting for tech support to find and fix the bug.I couldn't reccommend these GPSs.

Afraid I would have to agree - I have a Geopilot II from the same manufacturer and I absolutely LOVED it in the trike ... but once the software needed updating and I wanted to change the sim from Europe to Australia forget customer service - they have none and the GPS is sitting here unable to actually deal with the manufacturer provided map sets and their only suggestion is buy a new one !

Afraid I would have to agree - I have a Geopilot II from the same manufacturer and I absolutely LOVED it in the trike ... but once the software needed updating and I wanted to change the sim from Europe to Australia forget customer service - they have none and the GPS is sitting here unable to actually deal with the manufacturer provided map sets and their only suggestion is buy a new one !

I am supposed to go to look at them tomorrow but maybe I wont bother, By the sound of it I would be better off with the MGL Extreme efis and save up for a Garmin

I am supposed to go to look at them tomorrow but maybe I wont bother, By the sound of it I would be better off with the MGL Extreme efis and save up for a Garmin

Avmap stuff is really nice to use ... its the customer support when things go wrong thats the issue. Admittedly mine is an item that they have discontinued but I would have thought that they could be a bit better on support.

i'd still go and look at the equipment because I have used both Avmap and MGL and I find the Avmap easier to use than the MGL - but both are very powerful

• Agree 1

My experience with tech support has been very good. It's just that I seem to have had a few problems with the GPS. The first problem was "finger trouble" that I resolved ( the techs didn't pick the fault). The GPS used to lose lock on all the satellites, but still show good strong signal level on the GPS status page. It turned out that I had the WAAS option turned on, and here in Australia, we don't have the WASS/EGNOS ground stations. I think the GPS was sometimes picking up correction data from the satellites that were over Japan and it confused the software. When I turned the WASS/EGNOS option off, that solved that problem, but like I say, tech support didn't pick that up, I did.

Now, the GPS heading line freezes and it will show me pointing off track and if I turn to correct my heading, the heading line doesn't update. Then some time later it will update and show me pointing off track in the opposite direction. Now, I monitor the heading info on the GPS with the heading info on the iPad and I can tell when the GPS heading has frozen. But I shouldn't have to do that.

I have an EKP V and an UltraEFIS. Both nice instruments but with some oddities. The UltraEFIS manual shows RS-232 out capability which their rep told me it would be available 'soon' at Oshkosh 2015. But despite asking support multiple times, it isn't being released yet. Last software version is from December 2015.

EKP-V has a brilliant display, very easy to read in direct sunlight. The internal software is outdated though. It runs on Windows CE (like the old car navigation devices), and they are having trouble to update it into the modern world as well. It claims anti-collision facilities but those only exist for ZAON XRX which went belly up how many years ago? I'm afraid it seems the aviation group within Avmap is a very small crew with limited resources.

If I had to choose today, I'd probably go for an iPad Mini or Tab S2 instead. More options to change software (EasyVFR, SkyDemon, Navaid, etc), and quicker with updates.

• Winner 1

Well the place I visited didn't have anything on display or in stock, but could order in. I think that in view of the comments above and my own doubts I will wait before taking the plunge. £2000 plus is a lot to spend on a windows CE gismo with limited support and I would prefer to hear out what MGL and ipad have to offer first.

Thank you all for the input much appreciated