Is there a problem

Part reply to post 31

Oh dear great example off useing the slams gear box into reverse ar 100 ks does the writer have a car that old that it does not have a SAFETY gate incorporated into the gear box

When I was learning to drive on the side of the gear stick there was a little button that when you wanted to select reverse you lifted it to open the SAFETY gate to select reverse the only way that reverse could be selected was to open the SAFETY gate

Today the same principle applies in the latest ford ranger lift the button to open the SAFETY GATE to engage reverse

Yes there were idiots back then who needed a SAFETY gate in stalled by the manufacturer after idiots ran over people

Now if your car does not have that SAFETY gate return to seller or have YOU REMOVED SAID SAFETY GATE in witch case hello warden Neil

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part reply to post 31Oh dear great example off useing the slams gear box into reverse ar 100 ks does the writer have a car that old that it does not have a SAFETY gate incorporated into the gear box

When I was learning to drive on the side of the gear stick there was a little button that when you wanted to select reverse you lifted it to open the SAFETY gate to select reverse the only way that reverse could be selected was to open the SAFETY gate

Today the same principle applies in the latest ford ranger lift the button to open the SAFETY GATE to engage reverse

Yes there were idiots back then who needed a SAFETY gate in stalled by the manufacturer after idiots ran over people

Now if your car does not have that SAFETY gate return to seller or have YOU REMOVED SAID SAFETY GATE in witch case hello warden Neil

In my opinion the best fuel pump for the foxbat is the mechanical pump I don't like the solid state pump especially if it's located in the cabin it is very rare that a mechanical pump fails usually it's a filter problem .

Sorry ozbear not according to rotax several AD issued Neil

Hi Neil

When was the last time you saw a 912 fuel pump fail those ads were for oil leaks fuel leaks into the oil and excess pressure problems as far as I know not completed failure

Not being smart oz I agree with what you say but rotax have still say that manual fuel pumps do fail.

A minuscule amount of fuel into oil wil will have devestating effects on oil.

The failure to have the return line in stalled as to the requirement of rotax makes the problem an incident waiting to happen and it is.

Not one person has came up and said that all off the aircraft that have rotax 912 power plant installed involved in incidents had the return fitted why ?

Making. An assumption by me I assume that should you get the real story you will find that the percentages will find that there is no return line on most of the aircraft to alleviate fuel presure Neil

I have see a light wing out land in a paddock engine missing , it wouldn't,t miss on ground but off and on in the air . After a lot of time wasted it was found 912 pump failing replace problem fixed .

I have a back up pump fitted always get used for my take off ,then out of circuit I turn it off but at same time watch fuel pressure gauge to check stay in green on manual pump mode .

The idea is to have some common sense in a fuel system in your aircraft , it's not a car or bike or tractor etc , it is a flying machine and has a Big different called risk . I fuel system is most likely to show a problem under full power ( which is lack of full flow ) the first daily check of the pump max flow is taking off . Most aircraft taxi,s down and carry out a fast idle engine system check then apply full power to take off , big down side so not the best time to find out you haven,t got enough flow throw pumps and lines . So you have to reduce risk by having a back up pump in take of up to at least 1000 feet where you might have a better chance having to deal with a problem . If you have ever flown model planes it is a standard practice to hold mode at full power nose in the air for a few minute to check motor doesn't,t stop with a fuel flow problem . It,s a bit hard to hold full size aircraft on the ground with nose in the air or either many pilots tire it up preflight and ground run at full power unless you are on a aircraft carrier .

So those with only one pump fitted to there aircraft they are a test pilot every take off ,because you don,t know you have a lack of full flow problem until you are out of runway .

Weather listed in the 912 manual or not common sense goes along way .

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I have see a light wing out land in a paddock engine missing , it wouldn't,t miss on ground but off and on in the air . After a lot of time wasted it was found 912 pump failing replace problem fixed .I have a back up pump fitted always get used for my take off ,then out of circuit I turn it off but at same time watch fuel pressure gauge to check stay in green on manual pump mode .

The idea is to have some common sense in a fuel system in your aircraft , it's not a car or bike or tractor etc , it is a flying machine and has a Big different called risk . I fuel system is most likely to show a problem under full power ( which is lack of full flow ) the first daily check of the pump max flow is taking off . Most aircraft taxi,s down and carry out a fast idle engine system check then apply full power to take off , big down side so not the best time to find out you haven,t got enough flow throw pumps and lines . So you have to reduce risk by having a back up pump in take of up to at least 1000 feet where you might have a better chance having to deal with a problem . If you have ever flown model planes it is a standard practice to hold mode at full power nose in the air for a few minute to check motor doesn't,t stop with a fuel flow problem . It,s a bit hard to hold full size aircraft on the ground with nose in the air or either many pilots tire it up preflight and ground run at full power unless you are on a aircraft carrier .

So those with only one pump fitted to there aircraft they are a test pilot every take off ,because you don,t know you have a lack of full flow problem until you are out of runway .

Weather listed in the 912 manual or not common sense goes along way .

What? The Next thing you would be recommending is aircraft should have twin ignition and perhaps carbs, guess you could call it having a redundancy system, It just might catch on Dan :)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

What? The Next thing you would be recommending is aircraft should have twin ignition and perhaps carbs, guess you could call it having a redundancy system, It just might catch on Dan :)

It's not really redundant if they share the same fuel line and how is a twin carb system a redundant system when they feed half an engine as in a 912

• Like 1

Redundancy is a good work and is your friend, it, a bit hard to have a spare carby in the system, fuel lines don,t normally fail but how ever may get blocked or crushed by poor design when routing them and not using pre strainer and big lines .

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect Mr NewBerry might be a closet Pastafarian - whereas I am happy to talk like a pirate and wear my WWFSMD t-shirt - which of course means:

WHAT WOULD FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER DO ?

but - seriously, folks (?) - Pastafarianism is so weird, it just must be true - imagine a Heaven with a beer fountain and a stripper factory...how good is that!

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif

Slightly off topic but the electric motor thingy doesn't begin with the weight or specific power of the motor. A 5KWh LiFePo battery and controller would be about 70-100Kg depending on the terminal voltage required. Regardless of everything else that would get you about six (6) minutes of full power, solo climb.

Batteries ~$1500

Controller ~$1000

Motor (Curtiss AC-12 with accessories) $3K for 37 HP continuous

That's a lot of petrol even after a replacement 582 Blue top is considerd

to tell the truth I have got the hots for a BMW motorcycle motor - apparently they are popular in Europe with trike flyers who are getting harassed by new (and increasingly stricter) 2 stroke regulations

there is some stuff about them on the internet, from what I've read they would have to be a pretty flash unit for a Drifter, especially if you got one of the newer units with fuel injection and engine management systems - apparently that virtually removes all the problems associated with density altitude (not an issue for me doing all my flying in sunny Queensland)

in the meantime I'll stick with my recently acquired 500 hour 582, it will see me out with what flying hours I have left to look forward to in my old age...

BP